Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, leveling alts must be a blast now that heirlooms work up to level 110. However, is leveling in Legion dungeons an option now? I can't think of slogging through the Legion leveling zones once more after getting 4 characters to lvl 110.

I like to mix and match questing + dungeons so I don't get bored of either, so I'm not sure how viable it would be to just run dungeons. Leveling is stupid easy with heirlooms, though. Especially if you luck out with Assaults because you get roughly ~1.5 levels out of doing that. You can skip out at least one zone, easily 2 if you don't rush asap and have more time to do assaults.

Revenant

Oh god you reminded me of assaults

I immediately stopped entertaining the thought to buy a full heirloom collection

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've wanted to see Argus in-game for the longest time but that interest waned over the years. It's just more of the same. There's too many layers of character progression that amount to little more than mindless tedium.

There's nothing much to see on Argus anyway.
I've been looking at videos and such and agree it's fairly underwhelming for something that's been cultivated in lore for a decade. Tanaan jungle looks better. Mac'Aree should be on par with at least half of Suramar City and twice as visually stunning (even after thousands of years of demon occupation) but it barely looks different than shitty ruins you can see in the Draenei starting zones.

Aildrik

Savant
I am just holding out at this point to see how they wrap up the lore/expansion. I saw some of the leaked NPC conversation but they sure as hell better have a really amazing cinematic.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Now that I've got my Druid to level 110 and got ilvl 880+ within 10 hours of hitting that level, I think I'm ready to unsub. Argus is just painfully dull; there's nothing there, and I don't want to wait/pay for Blizzard to slowly trickle down boring non-content until they unlock the Raid which is all anyone cares about. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So anyone enjoying the latest update? You can now upgrade your relics at the Crucible and if you get a shitty roll you have to farm for a new relic to replace the old one and try again until you get a good roll. :happytrollboy:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I went to argus but completely lost track of the story at some point into the xpansion so I have no idea why I am riding with space russians to argus and do stuff :|

Aildrik

Savant
Argus content is so underwhelming :( I realize they are shoehorning it into the final patch of an expansion but we are talking an entire planet and we are interacting with a tiny part of it. There isn't really any variety aside from the tinted green volcanic landscape.

Wulfstand

Prophet
To be honest, besides Mac'Aree and parts of the Antoran Waste, I'm not very impressed with Argus. I've yet to do the dungeon, will run it tomorrow, but the storyline hasn't been anything worth talking about so far.
As for the world quests/world content, has it ever been interesting past the first week you've ran through it? I ask this a as a genuine question, as the only other expansion I've ever really played was Vanilla, and there raid logging was as constant a problem as it is in legion (only there you stopped constantly farming gear for pre-raid BiS once you started to properly raid, whereas now you can constantly try to get better gear via M+).
Progressing through Mythic Tomb isn't very fun, for me in any case. In fact, I'm starting to feel like Nighthold M as a whole was far more fun to progress through. Heroic is pretty good. I know the devs have talked about how they didn't really align their work too well for ToS, hence the soaking mechanics en gros, but even without taking them into consideration, there are still those fights that 'could have been great, if only..' such as Mythic Sisters, where the claustrophobic camera really fucks you over, as you actually have to pay attention to what's happening around the room. Progressing on Sisters was such a bitch, I hate how one of the main mechanics of the fight is having to move your camera angle constantly (as a ranged dps that has to stay at the edge of the room).
I'm really hoping Antorus will be less underwhelming, and I'm slowly thinking more and more often of taking a break from M raiding for a few months, since Antorus will last for a long while anyways, probably until next September. Maybe roll an Alliance hunter in the meanwhile.
Anyone else looking forward to Twinstar's Hades server?

Aildrik

Savant
Just looked up what Twinstar was. I thought Cataclysm had great leveling but the raids did nothing for me :( The final raid tier was one of the most boring of all the expacs. I would almost have rather gone back and done Molten Core :(

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So anyone enjoying the latest update? You can now upgrade your relics at the Crucible and if you get a shitty roll you have to farm for a new relic to replace the old one and try again until you get a good roll. :happytrollboy:
As I said, it's these umpteen layers of time/luck-sinks that deter me from subbing even when I have $340 of fake Blizzard money on my account. Shit gets old after a week.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
As I said, it's these umpteen layers of time/luck-sinks that deter me from subbing even when I have $340 of fake Blizzard money on my account. Shit gets old after a week.

Yea idk it's like they design the game for crack addicts who play 8 hours a day.

They could spend time developing a patch that has like 20 hours of solid/varied/fun content but everyone knows the twitch streamers would plow through that shit like a freight train in one day and then spend 2 months complaining about 'lack of content' or even *gasp* moving to stream a different game every now and then. So they need to just make everything a grind.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This kind of grind makes me want to stop playing, not play even more. And I'd guess that's how the majority feels like since WoW subs have certainly not been going up over the years.

Darkman

Educated
The legendary system is complete shit. RNG baked on RNG under the pretense that hard works gives you better RNG

Titanforging is complete shit. It's as bad as in Oblivion when random bandit and Mauraders walked around in Daedric and glass armor you could loot off their corpses

Argus is another skinner box to catch up new players and alts because Legenedaries and titanforging means they are way behind in the power curve.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The legendary system is complete shit. RNG baked on RNG under the pretense that hard works gives you better RNG

Titanforging is complete shit. It's as bad as in Oblivion when random bandit and Mauraders walked around in Daedric and glass armor you could loot off their corpses

Argus is another skinner box to catch up new players and alts because Legenedaries and titanforging means they are way behind in the power curve.

I guess it wasn't a good idea to let a lawyer with no previous experience in game deving be the lead designer for WoW.

J1M

Arcane

I guess it wasn't a good idea to let a lawyer with no previous experience in game deving be the lead designer for WoW.
That alone isn't really a valid argument. Only going with someone who has industry experience will prevent the kind of MMO rethink that you probably want. It is about the merit of the individual, not their pedigree.

Zetor

Arcane
IIRC, WOW design (back in vanilla) was spearheaded by Tigole / Furor whose only MMO-related experience up to that point was leading Everquest uberguilds, including one where Rob Pardo played...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
IIRC, WOW design (back in vanilla) was spearheaded by Tigole / Furor whose only MMO-related experience up to that point was leading Everquest uberguilds, including one where Rob Pardo played...

Which is a lot more valuable than having a lawyer, as has been proven since WoW was at its peak as a game and in popularity when they were in charge.

That alone isn't really a valid argument. Only going with someone who has industry experience will prevent the kind of MMO rethink that you probably want.

Yes it is. No, you need someone with industry experience or who understands how games (not casual mobage crap) work. Your argument is invalid since we tried using the person from outside the industry and this is what we got. At least use someone who has experience in some kind of design work, like an engineer, and not a lawyer. I don't think their brains are wired in the way that is required to be able to make a fun and engaging game.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
Sure, but if you mean Ion Hazzikostas, I'm like 95% sure he's Gurgthock, the GM of Elitist Jerks on the Mal'ganis server and one of the OG Scarab Lords in vanilla. That doesn't necessarily mean he's any good at design, but at least the origin story matches up!

Last edited:

Wulfstand

Prophet
Yeah, Hazikostas even did video guides on how to speed-clear ZA back in TBC. Say what you will about his current accomplishments, but he used to be a very dedicated player way back when.

Mythic Saszine is the first mythic fight I'm truly enjoying this raid so far. Filled with loads of things to do to keep you on your toes, having to move around the room constantly. Very fun.

J1M

Arcane

Which is a lot more valuable than having a lawyer, as has been proven since WoW was at its peak as a game and in popularity when they were in charge.

That alone isn't really a valid argument. Only going with someone who has industry experience will prevent the kind of MMO rethink that you probably want.

Yes it is. No, you need someone with industry experience or who understands how games (not casual mobage crap) work. Your argument is invalid since we tried using the person from outside the industry and this is what we got. At least use someone who has experience in some kind of design work, like an engineer, and not a lawyer. I don't think their brains are wired in the way that is required to be able to make a fun and engaging game.
Looking forward to your math paper showing how a sample size of one can provide such a confident p value.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Looking forward to your math paper showing how a sample size of one can provide such a confident p value.

Is Ion the lead designer? Yes.
Is the game caked in more layers of RNG than it ever has been? Yes.

I'll see you at my Nobel prize after party.

Aildrik

Savant
The RNG on crucible traits was a total dick move. Also, having to grind to Artifact level 75 to unlock all of the traits..... :decline::decline::decline::negative::negative::negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom