Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

GrainWetski

Arcane
On the ship to driftwood
That fight with the two pets of Dallis was great fun. That came out of nowhere. I'm not sure if you're supposed to fight them right away, but I did.

I did as well.

One shot my huntsman on their first turn, but I somehow managed to outheal/CC them with the other 3.

Murk

Arcane
I'm not quite getting the "CC is useless" as my hydro/aero wizard is relying heavily on chill-freeze and shock-stun to win fights. I have to drain their magic armor early on, and it makes for some weird preferences where-in I overvalue killing assassins and rangers early on, but eh, first run and all that.

In the next iteration I want to try an earth/fire combo, as I had a very fun/easy time with it in the first game. I may just end up doing that after tying up the Bishop Alexander fight actually.

Restarting new builds is often my favorite thing in these games :D

I installed it out of morbid curiosity, chose a female dwarf Outlaw + Scholar. The tags contradicted each other in the very first conversation I had, the scholar knew what the ship was, while the outlaw was wondering what "dungeon" she ended up in now. My curiosity is sated for now.

It's not really a contradiction if the ship involves you being collared and chained to a bed. Though a scholar+outlaw combo of "What ship's brig am I in now?" would put a giant grin on my face.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
And before that enemies have balanced armor -for example fight against alexander, where everyone is quite even, and then against the voidworm.
Factually not true. Everybody has quite a significant difference in armor values with magic generally being the higher one, Alexander and Worm included. I got by just fine with 2 physical damage dealers and 2 magic damage dealers + summons with phys or magic damage depending on situation for the entirety of Fort Joy. Only battles I didn't manage to do on the first try were the judge and the witch.

Strange, because for me alexander had like 400 magic, and equal amount of phys. Only the mage, ranger, and knight had some small differences, like 100 plus minus.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"In the hundreds".. I just fought something with 1200 Phys Shield and 200 Magic shield. What happens if I rolled all physical party?

What happens if you have a split party? That fight will be marginally easier (2 characters essentially can't hurt him, 2 characters make swift work of the Magic armor), while the rest of the game will be much harder, because when you fight loads of regular enemies with a somewhat even split, more of one type of damage is tons better.

It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but there's no denying focusing on one damage types is strictly superior, so you're incentivized not to make a broad party.

Except he was just one unit (The Semi Boss).. There was 4 others that had a spattering of Magic / Armor.
So the other two weren't useless, they had plenty of other targets.

I don't agree at all that stacking is objectively better, it's only better on some fights if you choose correctly. In the example I talked about, I just saved myself 1200 damage I didn't need to chew through, You make it sound like that's trivial.. that's several turns of bashing on something.

It's health was only like 600.. lol

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
How come the damn crocodile could teleport itself with the gloves,yet me a damn scholar can only teleport others around,bullshit I say

How did crocodile fit the gloves in the first place

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not really a contradiction if the ship involves you being collared and chained to a bed. Though a scholar+outlaw combo of "What ship's brig am I in now?" would put a giant grin on my face.

No, the Scholar tag was literally answering the question of the Outlaw tag. It's like I'm playing a person with dissociative personality disorder rather than a scholar who decided she's sick of the rules. I guess they were too busy adding voice over and controller UIs to check for such inconsistencies. In the very first conversation.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And now it's all about having 4 people with the same type of damage and CC is useless.

This. Stacking the same damage type is the obvious strategy. I think I'm gonna ditch my wizard for a ranger. Right now the damage is coming from my MC (knight) and the even slave rogue chick (unchanged) while my wizard is only good for getting his spells blocked and dealing friendly fire.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
And now it's all about having 4 people with the same type of damage and CC is useless.

This. Stacking the same damage type is the obvious strategy. I think I'm gonna ditch my wizard for a ranger. Right now the damage is coming from my MC (knight) and the even slave rogue chick (unchanged) while my wizard is only good for getting his spells blocked and dealing friendly fire.

These sweet AoE spells, unfortunately they deal FF damage. The only thing that these are good for, when your whole team, have teleportation or cloak and dagger, so you can just place those meelee fighters back from your frontline, then apply AoE.

Arkeus

Arcane
Guys, where the heck is Gareth?
Is this Fort Joy? I had a fight where suddenly magisters were attacking a paladin and that might have been him, but I've never heard of a gareth.

Should I be killing every magister in the fort before leaving through the crate after killing Kniles, or are the people inside overlevelled?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Guys, where the heck is Gareth?
Is this Fort Joy? I had a fight where suddenly magisters were attacking a paladin and that might have been him, but I've never heard of a gareth.

Should I be killing every magister in the fort before leaving through the crate after killing Kniles, or are the people inside overlevelled?

I did Kniles first then went back outside and sweeped up. You can easily miss Judge AttemptsToRationalize in the second floor outside.

Murk

Arcane
Arkeus no, the paladin is 'Cork' in fort joy. You can eavesdrop on the conversation through various areas and see the debate.

Gareth is a 600+ hp powerhouse in the armory area near a shrieker after you escape from the fort itself but still in the same "world map".

KateMicucci

Arcane
No, the Scholar tag was literally answering the question of the Outlaw tag. It's like I'm playing a person with dissociative personality disorder rather than a scholar who decided she's sick of the rules. I guess they were too busy adding voice over and controller UIs to check for such inconsistencies. In the very first conversation.
Sometimes I have the option to say that I want to help somebody, and AT THE SAME TIME this retarded game gives me the option to say that I *don't* want to help them.

Enough of this. I'm going back to Fallout 4.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
What's the deal with the black cat? It just came along on the beginning and then got me switch places skill when summoned after leaving fort joy.
What the fuck.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I helped a woman with disease, cured her with First Aid spell. She didn't react and still says she's sick, despite change of status.
:rpgcodex:
Same thing happened to me. I don't know if it's possible to help her at all, could be just an npc placed there for flavor. Or it could be a buggy quest.

I don't think she want to be helped. First she expressively asked me to let her be, and she happens to sell necromancy skillbook. Something tells me that bulbonic plague might be her favorite condition...

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
I've smacked into a game-breaking bug. My main character can't initiate conversations or enter combat anymore. I tried to fix it by killing her and found she's now invulnerable too. Saving and reloading didn't fix. Dang.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Respec'd. I suck at making builds, so I hope I did something decent this time.

2 summoners with 1 point in Scoundrel, Aero and Hydro with 2 more in polymorph. 1 red lizard with 4 warfare and 3 polymorph and one dwarf with 7 warfare, 1 scoundrel, 1 polymorph and 1 pyro. Went str with the Prince and Finesse with Beast.
Splitting into anything before you hit Summoning 10 is a terrible idea. Summoner might be the only char in the game which is all about getting 10 points in main skill.

As for fapping on Aero, it's only in prologue guys. Sure in prologue you feel like having gloves of teleport + another teleport or two is great, but later in the game the fights are basically about rapid movements with abilities. Basically nobody walks in my party now for example, as fighters bull rush phoenix down into enemies while mages don't even need to walk. Sure in the beginning random archer on top of something is a terrible pain, but once you get all the abilities and multiple summons (like 3-4) you don't need that Aero. Especially in corridors or flat arenas.

And boy, I hope you people like Deep Roads. I just cleaned Starship Troopers Dungeon and I hope that is not how rest of the game looks like.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's only a small barrier in the beginning of each combat, to avoid immediate CC spamming. It's gamey but certainly didn't make combat less "diverse". If anything it did the opposite in my opinion. In D:OS eventually it was all about CCing everyone until you can slowly murder them while they lie still.

lvl 4 magister swordsman with 90 hp + 80 physical armour + 60 magic armour

only a small barrier :^)
Man 60 magic armour is like 3 spells/magic attacks with wands max? I do agree as I said that it would be ideal if it wasn't a "boolean" like "if magic armor > 0 then false" but more percentage based

Arkeus

Arcane
What does Summon 10 do?

Also, mmh. How much are you folks putting into memory? I found it really hard not to put point there fairly often, as we just never seem to have enough slots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom