Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's only a small barrier in the beginning of each combat, to avoid immediate CC spamming. It's gamey but certainly didn't make combat less "diverse". If anything it did the opposite in my opinion. In D:OS eventually it was all about CCing everyone until you can slowly murder them while they lie still.

Well it comes down to personal preference.
What would you rather do?

- CC enemies across the board (Keeping in mind some are immune) and slowly burn them down and picking off high value targets?

- Just Nuke Things One By One and Almost Ignore CC except in extreme cases. Because enemies can replenish their armor and become CC immune again, DoS 2 basically centers around Massively nuking single targets over and over while teleporting cheese placed Ranger / Mage units off their cliffs / platforms.

I would argue I prefer the first one. I love the Magic / Physical Armor mechanic but it shouldn't make you CC immune IMO.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
And now it's all about having 4 people with the same type of damage and CC is useless.
I don't do that and I'm doing just fine, so it's not about that I guess. I actually have mixed damage types all around and the party prioritizes targets according to their armors and resistances and so on.
CC is fine just you have to wait for a couple of turns. Feels a bit more rewarding to be honest than just Combat Start - Battering Ram - Rain - Lightning - Charm arrows - gg

Later on you wont manage with mixed dmg dealers, when enemies start roling shields and armor in hundreds.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's only a small barrier in the beginning of each combat, to avoid immediate CC spamming. It's gamey but certainly didn't make combat less "diverse". If anything it did the opposite in my opinion. In D:OS eventually it was all about CCing everyone until you can slowly murder them while they lie still.

Well it comes down to personal preference.
What would you rather do?

- CC enemies across the board (Keeping in mind some are immune) and slowly burn them down and picking off high value targets?

- Just Nuke Things One By One and Almost Ignore CC except in extreme cases. Because enemies can replenish their armor and become CC immune again, DoS 2 basically centers around Massively nuking single targets over and over while teleporting cheese placed Ranger / Mage units off their cliffs / platforms.

I would argue I prefer the first one. I love the Magic / Physical Armor mechanic but it shouldn't make you CC immune IMO.

It's a good question, I guess I'd prefer something in the middle. Maybe the immunity is a bit too much indeed. It should make people more resistant but not immune indeed.
Something percentage-y would work: full magic armor means (for example )+ 80% resistances and then as it drops the bonus drops too. Would make more sense

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
And now it's all about having 4 people with the same type of damage and CC is useless.
I don't do that and I'm doing just fine, so it's not about that I guess. I actually have mixed damage types all around and the party prioritizes targets according to their armors and resistances and so on.
CC is fine just you have to wait for a couple of turns. Feels a bit more rewarding to be honest than just Combat Start - Battering Ram - Rain - Lightning - Charm arrows - gg

Later on you wont manage with mixed dmg dealers, when enemies start roling shields and armor in hundreds.

I disagree. I am "later on" and it's been fine.
Doing a 2-2 split of Magic and Physical lets you cherry pick enemies based on their strengths / weaknesses.

"In the hundreds".. I just fought something with 1200 Phys Shield and 200 Magic shield. What happens if I rolled all physical party?

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Just enter combat, memorize the place where they will spawn, reload save, put your chars where they would be, like rogues, or other melle characters -combat starts, you have characters near them, they flee instead of nuking aoe, you kill them -profit.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I use taunt on a git.

Taunted git walks away from the taunting dude and launches an iceball at another one.

JKsDCgV.gif

yeah happened to me too dunno wot dats about

EDIT: And yes it penetrated, his status said "Taunted" and he had no armor
Taunt doesn't work at all. Tried around 20~ times beceause of 1 point that always remains when using Incarnate.
IT DIDN'T WORK A SINGLE TIME.
You could think that basic spell of much used by everyone summon would work. How it slipped over the beta, alpha and testing is beyond me.

Btw, teleport gonna be nerfed 100% in incoming patches. It's retarded AF. Just sneak to group of monsters and teleport one of them into the middle of yours.
What the fuck, why most powerful spell in the game bypasses both magic and physical armor? Who designed this shit?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"In the hundreds".. I just fought something with 1200 Phys Shield and 200 Magic shield. What happens if I rolled all physical party?

Rarely happens, mostly its the equal distribution.

Any non-magister enemies are almost always mismatched. In fact I've seen several with ONLY physical or ONLY magical.
Are you sure we are playing the same game?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Should I kill Zaleskar? Entered swamps recently and I must talk to him, but as I am Sebille it always wents to speech check. For some reason, despite me clearing all things up, which give me level 5, despite putting nearly all points into intelligence, I still fail that check. And I have to kill hm. That fight isn't even hard, just spam totems and CC once armor is broken. But I am afraid it will have plot consequences. That shield he dropped was a game broker tho, doubled all my defenses on my tank.

Jarmaro

Liturgist

Any non-magister enemies are almost always mismatched. In fact I've seen several with ONLY physical or ONLY magical.
For what I've seen, most of the enemies have both defenses. For some reason some, like monks in the fort Joy, have only magical, but I assume that was this way beceause of fights construction.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

lvl 4 magister swordsman with 90 hp + 80 physical armour + 60 magic armour

only a small barrier :^)

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

The one that doesn't have any armor are mostly trash mobs like zombies, or weak beasts. Usually you have equal armor, with deviation of 1/3. And that's nothing, its still better to have two dmg dealers of one type, and two support chars, then one dmg dealer to one type, and second to other type, because you will do double the work, or he/she will just be useless.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not bothered by the new armor system so far, just made it off the island. That your whole party can't get locked down in one turn is a plus compared to the first game, the same is true for most enemy groups.

I've seen plenty of different distributions of magical/physical armor. Enemy weaknesses in that regard dictate how fights play out (depending on your own cc/damage composition).

GrainWetski

Arcane

He's probably not past Fort Joy yet, as that place is mostly double armour types.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

What happens if you have a split party? That fight will be marginally easier (2 characters essentially can't hurt him, 2 characters make swift work of the Magic armor), while the rest of the game will be much harder, because when you fight loads of regular enemies with a somewhat even split, more of one type of damage is tons better.

It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but there's no denying focusing on one damage types is strictly superior, so you're incentivized not to make a broad party.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

He's probably not past Fort Joy yet, as that place is mostly double armour types.

Im past the magical ship thingy, that takes you to driftwood. But going to restart with better build.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Im past the magical ship thingy, that takes you to driftwood. But going to restart with better build.

Driftwood is where enemies start having way more varied armour values. At least so far.

Fought some summoners with 600-700 magic and no phys armour, voidwoken without any armour at all and so on. Basically every enemy so far is low on one or the other.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The source point system sucks. It's a meaningless tax on abilities that aren't really that much more powerful (sometimes they're even less so) compared to non-source using abilities. I just avoid them altogether.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Driftwood is where enemies start having way more varied armour values. At least so far.

Fought some summoners with 600-700 magic and no phys armour, voidwoken without any armour at all and so on. Basically every enemy so far is low on one or the other.

Still you have to get to that point, i mean to the second act. And before that enemies have balanced armor -for example fight against alexander, where everyone is quite even, and then against the voidworm. It would be incredibly hard to do that, using split damage dealers, beside some exploty/cheesing tactics.
Then 600-800 armor is not that bad with two damage dealers of phys, it takes two turn to strip that. And without magic armor, your CC and support characters can easily cast some spell that profit on that, so you don't have to rush things to strip phys armor.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the ship to driftwood
That fight with the two pets of Dallis was great fun. That came out of nowhere. I'm not sure if you're supposed to fight them right away, but I did.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I installed it out of morbid curiosity, chose a female dwarf Outlaw + Scholar. The tags contradicted each other in the very first conversation I had, the scholar knew what the ship was, while the outlaw was wondering what "dungeon" she ended up in now. My curiosity is sated for now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom