Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Prime Junta

I am genuinely happy for you and your team, but have never had a similar experience.

I'm not surprised. Software is hard. Few teams get good enough to not fuck up consistently. It's not just development either, it's the whole chain from contract to deployment. It took us over 10 years of continuous, determined, company-wide effort to get to this point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Struggle and hardship brings prosperity and innovation.People under pressure give their best,while people with nothing on the line give shit.Good example for this are most AAA games.

Azarkon

Arcane
I doubt I have ever seen a quality product that didn't require significant crunch time or men ending up shadows of their former selves due to overtime. I don't think it's possible, tbh. A man has to do what a man has to do.
So you are saying that working as a zombie each day for months produces a better quality product than working with a fresh mind, well slept and with a healthy relationship. Those quality products were good despite the crunch, not because of it. Do you think programmers are at their best when they are tired, their fingers hurt and their eyes are dry? I have a feeling they are making much more bugs in that condition.
False dichotomy based on strawmen. Crunch and overtime happens when you want to make the best thing possible, aside from what you could do with the luxury of an infinite schedule. Nothing exceptional was ever developed on time once the last bullet-point was crossed off the list at a set deadline. I'm not saying it's good for the people involved or even healthy when such internal cultures develop, but it's still true. There's a reason most of the greatest works of mankind were essentially made by relentless autists and sordid shells of men with unhinged personal relationships - and throughout most of history, that can't be blamed on board rooms or corporate masters.

They want to do something healthy? Stop blaming others for their own decisions and what their passions have cost them. Crunch culture was a thing long before gaming companies were corporate giants, and it's almost always been a defining trait of the exceptional and the dedicated. If you don't want that, if you just want to be drone #5 with the 9-5 work and a steady paycheck, there's nothing wrong with that. But most of the people involved in this conversation, Avellone, Schafer, we all know that that's not them, or at least it wasn't. They could've quit, and sometimes they did, and do. And they may have been right to do so.

But to paint this as abusive, or claim that crunch and dedication and passion-driven relentless exceptionalism is somehow inherently evil? Kindly go fuck yourselves, guys.
How do you stay sharp when you are working without the needed sleep and relaxing? It is the polar opposite of sharpness.
Drugs, obviously. God, it's like you've never witnessed an artist's descent into madness and unhealthy dependence before.

He was talking about programmers. I doubt programmers have nearly the same passion of ownership as designers. Programmers only ever get attention when shit goes wrong, and are never even talked about when it goes right.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Although the devil is usually in the details (and have never gotten around to playing IWD2), I gotta disagree with MCA on this one. I doubt I have ever seen a quality product that didn't require significant crunch time or men ending up shadows of their former selves due to overtime. I don't think it's possible, tbh. A man has to do what a man has to do.

I already have one divorce, btw.

Metroid Prime and Cities:Skylines come to mind as examples of things that were done without crunchtime. Retro Studios apparently does the design documentation and preproduction pretty damn well.

Rev

Arcane
Yeah, happy birthday Chris!
Now, can you please go back to actually making games? No?

:negative:

Fairfax

Arcane

Fairfax's upcoming interview with Avellone is now a year old http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/questions-for-chris-avellone-ii.111172

Wonder what the world record is for this kind of thing.
I believe both of us underestimated how much time it would take. :M

For what it's worth, most questions (from my end at least, there are ~80 codex questions as well) aren't about information that could become obsolete over time, so hopefully it'll be interesting regardless of when it comes out.

Developer
I had thought I had sent Part 1 of the General Questions way back in late June - my apologies, I shall check (it was difficult to do them all at once b/c there were so many, so had broken them into clumps so at least you could get some answers in the interim).

Edit: Yes, it turns out Part 1 went out in late June. I just figured they'd be posted at a dull news cycle (although I don't think the answers would've made anything less dull).

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Something small inside me still holds on to hope that this - along with Chris' vague Fallout teasings prior - means a proper isometric and turnbased Fallout game with AA budget (possibly "for the anniversary" or something)... but yes, I'm sure it is not that so no need to remind.

:despair:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy hell, he changed the facebook profile picture

I hope this means something

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What does it say? For some reason I can't see facebook.

22140881_10155272035373579_3461782683959844143_n.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is Avellone working on a Fallout something or is this just another "Oh gee it sure would be fun to work on another Alpha Protocol/Star Wars/Fallout!"

I think the more important point here is that it appears that he's confirming that there is a "Fallout something".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom