Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I helped a woman with disease, cured her with First Aid spell. She didn't react and still says she's sick, despite change of status.
:rpgcodex:
Same thing happened to me. I don't know if it's possible to help her at all, could be just an npc placed there for flavor. Or it could be a buggy quest.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Anyone else annoyed with quest about woman looking for her child? I got that quest and all the time looked for its grave or anything, I even tried to give the doll she gave us to dog, thought he may sniff her.
Turned out when I was 100% with the fort joy location, that that quest could only be done by telling her, that her child is death.
That was so... unexpected. Like, That was the least effort quest I've seen in RPGs for years. What was the point of it?
Philosophical concept of evanescence?

KateMicucci

Arcane
Anyone else annoyed with quest about woman looking for her child? I got that quest and all the time looked for its grave or anything, I even tried to give the doll she gave us to dog, thought he may sniff her.
Turned out when I was 100% with the fort joy location, that that quest could only be done by telling her, that her child is death.
That was so... unexpected. Like, That was the least effort quest I've seen in RPGs for years. What was the point of it?
Philosophical concept of evanescence?
It's a dark inversion on the common RPG convention that you can solve everyone's problems.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Opinions on the schools? These are my feelings after finally getting far enough in the game to unlock everything (beginning of act 2)
High tier:
Summoning- summons allow the flexibility to deal either magic or physical damage, can block and tank hits for you. Two good heals and a Charm spell. Doesn't scale with any stat so it fits on anybody.
Warfare- The two AOE knockdowns are your best CC's against physical armor. Shield users do decent damage with Bounce even without any points in damage stats and Deflect is very useful in some fights.
Aero- two teleports, an AOE blind aura, a 100% dodge buff. The five flavors of lightning bolts aren't that exciting though.
Poly- AOE petrify aura, wings for multiple jumps without a cooldown, Bull if you need a gap closer, invisibility, and an AOE entangle that ignores armor. Poly has no bad skills.

Medium tier:

Hydro- The magical armor and heals are the most useful. Rain. A 50% lifesteal buff. The 5 flavors of ice damage, not so exciting.
Geo- The physical armor buffs are the most useful. The damage spells are again not so exciting, but at least oil slows ignore armor.

Low tier:
Huntsman- No hard CC's and not much utility. Tactical Retreat applies haste, which might make it the best jump. There's a heal. Elemental arrowheads is ok, and it actually might work for melee weapons too. An archer character could do fine without putting a single point into huntsman.
Scoundrel- One point unlocks Adrenaline and The Pawn, which are the best parts of this school. I also put Chloroform on my spear warrior which gave her a hard magic save CC, which was pretty useful in act 1. Most skills are locked to daggers, making more than one point useless for anybody else.

Shit tier:
Necro- The first tier abilities are really weak. The blood sucker heal requires set up to use. The two summons scale from Summoning. Corpse Explosion is melee range for some reason. IIRC there's no hard CC. Best skill is one that keeps you from dying for two turns, which can be coupled with another ability that increases damage based on how much health has been lost. If you take the Morning Person or Comeback Kid and Unstable skills you could create a decent suicide bomber.
Pyro- The worst. Haste and Calm Mind are the two weak buffs. Everything else is just fire damage. No hard CC unless you count a single-target blind, and I don't.

What are the best schools to cross with huntman and scoundrel ?

My wayfarer really improved with a couple polymorph skills ("chameleon cloak" and the one that make you fly), with the guerilla talent he starts to be lethal. For a scoundrel, since backstab doesn't require to be invisible I was thinking aerotheurge or necromancer.... Any idea ?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been reading some people that claim the tactician mode is just a basic "buff every enemy", and not a true change of difficulty and tactics like in DOS where the battles where different in enemies and how to approach them.

Can anyone confirm this? Would be disappointing to be honest.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Guys, wait. Is polymorph a real magic school with spells? The description says it gives you free attribute point. I thought it's to take when I don't want to take anything else.
Felt stupid and strange obviously. I haven't seen any spell from polymorph tree. They fucked that up, I wouldn't even think it's magic school.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys, wait. Is polymorph a real magic school with spells? The description says it gives you free attribute point. I thought it's to take when I don't want to take anything else.
Felt stupid and strange obviously. I haven't seen any spell from polymorph tree. They fucked that up, I wouldn't even think it's magic school.
Erm, yes it's a school and has pretty cool spells too. I believe a doctor lady on the beach of Fort Joy sells Polymorph skill books. It has the EXTRA effect of giving an extra attribute point.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Did they patch the stats? If they didn't, Fort Joy seemed to have way more double armour enemies than Reaper's Coast. Tons of enemies without one or even both of the armours. Most of the double armours only have like 150 of one of them at level 10, so that's just 1 or 2 attacks and it's gone.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Well, I would expect something like that in serious RPG. But everything in this game seems like parody of genre.
The writing in this one is very dark. For all the complaining about "larian humor" nobody has commented that there's hardly any attempts at humor in this one with the exception of Pet Pal. It's Edgelordicus Maximus, just as the critics asked for. There's not even a good holocaust joke.

What are the best schools to cross with huntman and scoundrel ?

My wayfarer really improved with a couple polymorph skills ("chameleon cloak" and the one that make you fly), with the guerilla talent he starts to be lethal. For a scoundrel, since backstab doesn't require to be invisible I was thinking aerotheurge or necromancer.... Any idea ?
For an archer, you already figured it out: poly for the jump and invis.

For the scoundrel, take Aero and Warfare. You can teleport enemies next to you, backstab them, and if you penetrate their armor but don't kill them, apply a knockdown from Warfare. Or throw poly on the scoundrel too, why not?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Does aerotheurge have any other good combos with scoundrel than the teleportation spell ? Because I already gave the teleportation gloves to my scoundrel....

So there's nothing good to get out of necromancer ? I almost gave it to Fane just to indulge into some leech king cliché.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been reading some people that claim the tactician mode is just a basic "buff every enemy", and not a true change of difficulty and tactics like in DOS where the battles where different in enemies and how to approach them.

Can anyone confirm this? Would be disappointing to be honest.
Enemies also get new skills to use, which are not available to them in lower difficulty settings.

I don't agree D:OS2 feels like a parody of the genre. In many ways it's more of a pure example of the genre than much of what has been released and marketed as RPG in recent years.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Does aerotheurge have any other good combos with scoundrel than the teleportation spell ? Because I already gave the teleportation gloves to my scoundrel....

So there's nothing good to get out of necromancer ? I almost gave it to Fane just to indulge into some leech king cliché.
There's another teleport that switches the position of 2 characters and only costs 1 AP instead of 2.
There's an AOE blind aura, which will be good for a scoundrel who comes up against enemies with no magic armor.
There's a 100% dodge buff, and the utility of that is obvious.
There's an aero1-scoundrel1 smoke cloud skill.

So that's five good reasons to spec in aero on a scoundrel.

I don't see what a scoundrel really gets out of necro that's better than investing in more damage instead.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have:
Physical Backstabber With Geo / Aero Spells
Range Archer with Necromancer
Tank Man with 100% War Talents
Range Mage with Pyro + INT Dump and some other talents (Increase Elemental Damage applies to weapons too)
That seems to be all hybris except the tank? Also, how does a physical backstabber with geo/aero works? My backstaber has polymorph for nice invisibility as well as the ability to CC enemies without physical armour, but I've been thinking I should get a way to do damage against people with high phys armour on it, is that why you are using Geo/Aeor? what spells are good?

I've also not touched Necromancer at all, how does that work?

Necromancer does physical damage and gives a lot of healing back through life drain.
It actually scales very very well and I regret not dipping in further and would consider giving it to my undead. (I wasn't sure if necromancer healing would do damage to undead or not)

Also as Grunker said. Every character should dip 2 in aero and IMO 1 in hydro. The CC (Rain + Shock) / Teleport / Heal is just too amazing.
Healing is a very high (Physical) damage spell against undead.

I don't see what a scoundrel really gets out of necro that's better than investing in more damage instead.

AFAIK Necro scales with physical damage. If the Healing from life drain doesn't hurt Undead players than it's a very good sustain school. (Mosqito + Leech = Insane Health, if that triggers living armor your like unkillable)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah Necromancy is cool, there's a lot of variety built into that simple passive. The way I'm using it (Sword n' Board supertank using Retribution) isn't the most efficient, but it works even on Tactician. If you really want to you can make a super-dupar self-sustaining two-handed megasmaher Death Knight

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Withermoore's soul jar: freed his soul, he died and the quest is in the log still.
I'm beginning to suspect these are not bugs, but quests that still have stuff to do.
Withermoore's ghost appears out of nowhere to knock down a barrier at the end of a dungeon in the swamp, as a way of thanking you. And THEN the quest completes

Codex is so accustomed to Bioware Shit CnC.. that having real CnC in a game where your choices matter 10 - 15 hours later, seems like a bug..
It could still be bugs in D:OS 2.. not saying the game is perfect.

It's just funny how we assume all those quests should auto complete after Act 1 - because in most games they would. (Granted they could of just used hidden variables and complete the quests so it's not a meta-spoiler that shit is gonna pop off later down the road, checkmate Swen)

Vibalist

Arcane
This may be a stupid question, but how do I add runes to weapons and armor? I tried combining an amulet with an empty slot with a rune, but it says "invalid combination".

GrainWetski

Arcane
This may be a stupid question, but how do I add runes to weapons and armor? I tried combining an amulet with an empty slot with a rune, but it says "invalid combination".
Right click the item and "manage runes".

You can remove runes from items how many times you want, so always use them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I use taunt on a git.

Taunted git walks away from the taunting dude and launches an iceball at another one.

JKsDCgV.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also remember you can combine three of a lesser rune to the next tier

EDIT: dey changed dis. Now you need old rune + pixie dust

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom