Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
We are pros , confirmed by Cleve:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 20 hours ago
It all happened when I put the nigh perfectly balanced game up for the demo in 2012 .... got feedback ... plenty of people complained their spells didn't work much at starter levels ... so for the SuperDemo I added this fullsave modifier of 100 to all saves against magic ... remember thinking it would be temporary to help people get going faster in the Superdemo ... promptly forgot about it ... it managed to make it into the release version of Grimoire. Didn't think about it until I realized the game was playing a lot like the SuperDemo, with spellcasters just a bit too amazing coming out of the gate even at level one - like master wizards at level 20. Embarrassing but that's the truth. It some ways, helped beginners spam through the game but pros noticed something was wrong. Some people didn't complain because they could make it through the hardest combats with exploits. Wiz 7 had similar features and they were not always considered drawbacks, like Nuclear Blast.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 1 hour ago
Your spell skill now will have a major impact on whether or not your spells are effective. If your character has under 5 points of skill they will only succeed once in a blue moon casting spells. After level 10 it should get better. Note that power level of the spell cast is important too.

Sorry, people clamored for MUH BALINSE well this is balanced. The spell casting skill is now very closely related to whether or not your spells will succeed and have any effect.
This is all good and dandy but if you are going to go that way Mr Blakemore then let actually casting a spell successfully add said spell school's knowledge; otherwise a non caster character like a Ranger will basically be worthless for a couple of levels once he gains spells since he wont be able to cast them properly
Wizardry 7 had that problem but they solved it with the oratory skill and in Wizardry 8 all your chars naturally gains skill points by successful casting spells either in combat or outside of it

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Welp, Cleve fucked up again (of course).

Creating new casters in x.26...they don't get their casting skills.

Lulz.

Could this game be anymore of a disaster?

Zep--

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Lulz.

Zep--

I can't test myself at the moment, but another user had the same problem. Cleve disagreed:

Originally posted by GOLDEN ERA GAMES:
If you go to academic (crown) category button and scroll up or down it should always be the skill in purple.
User:
Neither my wizard nor my thaumaturge have a purple skill. My warrior has a purple sorcery skill, and my barbarian has alchemistry.Only my cleric has the correct litany skill.
I just checked on both wizards and thaumaturges in character review and the correct skill was purplelighted for both their caster skills.

Scroll down if you cannot see it in the box now.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Lulz.

Zep--

I can't test myself at the moment, but another user had the same problem. Cleve disagreed:

If you go to academic (crown) category button and scroll up or down it should always be the skill in purple.
User:
Neither my wizard nor my thaumaturge have a purple skill. My warrior has a purple sorcery skill, and my barbarian has alchemistry.Only my cleric has the correct litany skill.
I just checked on both wizards and thaumaturges in character review and the correct skill was purplelighted for both their caster skills.

Scroll down if you cannot see it in the box now.

I like how his idea of an answer is "Works on my machine!"

Zep--

osefmarcher

Literate
Just checked none of the spellcasters have their casting skill when creating them :
missskill.png

they only gain it upon leveling to lvl2 with 0 point in it.

mondblut

Arcane
okay... against my better judgement, I did decide to mess with multiclass in my party a little, mainly to make something useful out of bard and sage. So, my 9th level sage becomes a cleric (losing 150 points worth of stats), gains 4 levels, becomes a bard, gains 3 levels and... huh? I can't switch to either sage or cleric on level 4 despite having sufficient stats. Does it mean each class can only be taken once? Or can only be switched back from a higher level than you used to have in it or something?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
okay... against my better judgement, I did decide to mess with multiclass in my party a little, mainly to make something useful out of bard and sage. So, my 9th level sage becomes a cleric (losing 150 points worth of stats), gains 4 levels, becomes a bard, gains 3 levels and... huh? I can't switch to either sage or cleric on level 4 despite having sufficient stats. Does it mean each class can only be taken once? Or can only be switched back from a higher level than you used to have in it or something?
Cleveland Mark Blakemore
so, can we revisit old classes? I have a bad feeling about this...

It's in the manual, silly!

Oh....wait.

:)

Zep--

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Grimoire should be fine. That leaves us to ask the important questions like should Believe in Cleve be in Large section or Developer Mugs section.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, at least it's a lot better than much hyped games like RimWorld.

:::adjusts monocle:::

mmmm yes, I concur wholeheartedly, what with Rimworld having its utterly *absurd* 97% approval rating across almost 12,000 votes. Casuals, the whole lot, as any right thinking person would agree. Isn't it absolutely *dreadful* that we're forced to share the internet with them? To endure the ghastly sight of their putrescent postings? :::fans self::: Why, I can almost *hear* the clickety-clack of their filthy, clubbed fingers racing across their keyboards as they upvote shitposts and downvote genius with terrifying retard efficiency, as is their unified wont. Surely a mere *glimpse* of Grimoire's glory would save them, but then we mustn't toss our pearls before the swine.

Now if you'll pardon me, I *must* attend to Cleveland, who has summoned me to his masturbatorium.

:::climbs into chariot carried by brown people:::
Yes, I see where you come from: the unwashed masses declared it the best RPG evar! So it has to be! Because, I don't have any opinion by myself! I believe and repeat everything, if more than half the people I know say so!

Dorateen

Arcane
Keeping in mind that version 1.2.0.26-R is specifically classified as a Maintenance Update in preparation for the big release to coincide with the manual, I wouldn't be surprised if the missing skills for newly created casters wasn't intentional. These are truly neophyte wizards and sages. Think early edition AD&D magic-users who memorized only one spell at first level, clinging to it desperately waiting for just the right occasion. And once exhausting that spell, the low-level wizard would need to be carried by the rest of the party.

In other words, in the Grimoire role-playing system, maybe first level casters are meant to be dead weight until they get a level under their belt and start allocating those skill points.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Keeping in mind that version 1.2.0.26-R is specifically classified as a Maintenance Update in preparation for the big release to coincide with the manual, I wouldn't be surprised if the missing skills for newly created casters wasn't intentional. These are truly neophyte wizards and sages. Think early edition AD&D magic-users who memorized only one spell at first level, clinging to it desperately waiting for just the right occasion. And once exhausting that spell, the low-level wizard would need to be carried by the rest of the party.

In other words, in the Grimoire role-playing system, maybe first level casters are meant to be dead weight until they get a level under their belt and start allocating those skill points.

HOW DARE YOU! You are contradicting Cleve who has already assured us all, It works on his machine!

BANNED!

Zep--
:)

mondblut

Arcane
So sages no longer can be baby's first spellcaster due to being a key node to multiclass out of the wizard ghetto.

Wizard-thaumaturge-necromancer-sage-cleric-bard-jester is very doable for the patient, in the time it takes to go through Tabernacle of Music and the Knossos area. So is bard-sage-cleric-templar-warrior-berserker-ranger-thief-pirate-assassin. All you need is 6 9th level berserkers and rangers to do the actual fighting. And a lot of savescumming for big and properly landed bonuses, ofc.

In the end they have vastly outmatched the grunts in hp, vitality and even stats once the accumulated bonus was finally invested. Aeorb jester ftw ;)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, do you still plan a gog release? Are you waiting for manual completion to release it as "Grimoire: Complete"? I'm rollin' a party and playing first 30mins of Wiz7 every weekend over and over since august, afraid to start a playthrough of any other game.

Yes, I am hoping for a manual release this week, V2 before Christmas and then that version to GOG at earliest convenience.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Lulz.

Zep--

Yes, quite easily :)

Cleve: "Hold my Happy Meal."

4 kgs in one week, half inch on upper biceps, both legs 3/4 inch in two weeks of training. The tape does not lie. 54 year old gaining muscle naturally like 20 year old on steroids.

I call that a good start but by the time I appear on Matt Barton I will probably be much bigger than Schwarzenegger at his peak and twice as strong. Just a bit of gym for me.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
GOG is quite..."monocled" regarding what games it publishes. Long story short, aside from the old classics, new games have to be of the "hip indie game with 1,000,000+ sales and journalists and youtubers all raving and fapping about it" category. It wouldn't surprise me if they declined to add Grimoire on the grounds of not being popular enough. Even if they genuinely acknowledged that the game is a spiritual successor to Wizardry or has some other merits, unless there is hype and money involved, they won't bother greenlighting it. Unless there have already been talks suggesting they are open.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GOG is quite..."monocled" regarding what games it publishes. Long story short, aside from the old classics, new games have to be of the "hip indie game with 1,000,000+ sales and journalists and youtubers all raving and fapping about it" category. It wouldn't surprise me if they declined to add Grimoire on the grounds of not being popular enough. Even if they genuinely acknowledged that the game is a spiritual successor to Wizardry or has some other merits, unless there is hype and money involved, they won't bother greenlighting it. Unless there have already been talks suggesting they are open.

They wanted Knights of the Chalice. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom