Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jezal_k23

What disappoints me the most with tactician/stat bloat is how much of an afterthought it seems to have been, especially after introducing the idea of it in DOSEE and setting the standard that we hoped they'd uphold.

It's like they went "well our target audience is obviously whoever plays it on classic or explorer, so let's polish the game for them, and as for THOSE PEOPLE who want to play tactician, no need to think about that, let them sort themselves out".

But to be fair, they did develop better AI for tactician. Just didn't have time to do anything to the encounters I guess.

To be clear, I am having fun. Just disappointed that we didn't get tweaked encounters this time.

PrettyDeadman

What disappoints me the most with tactician/stat bloat is how much of an afterthought it seems to have been, especially after introducing the idea of it in DOSEE and setting the standard that we hoped they'd uphold.

It's like they went "well our target audience is obviously whoever plays it on classic or explorer, so let's polish the game for them, and as for THOSE PEOPLE who want to play tactician, no need to think about that, let them sort themselves out".

But to be fair, they did develop better AI for tactician. Just didn't have time to do anything to the encounters I guess.

To be clear, I am having fun. Just disappointed that we didn't get tweaked encounters this time.
Maybe they'll add "Strategist" difficulty in DOS2:Enhanced Edition which will fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Maybe they'll add "Strategist" difficulty in DOS2:Enhanced Edition which will fix that.
i hope. Because at this point, ai are borderline suicidal. They know basic combos and creeating field hazard, but they dont know how to avoid the hazard they created themselves. They walk into an open flame, friendly fire, etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm confused. Quest in Driftwood. Helping some Lagan guy near the shore looking for a ring.
After the fight with a couple voidwoken, I get the option to tell him to fuck off, keep the ring and force him to give me the money that he was gonna hand over as a reward. I picked this option, but didn't get any exp. Confused, I tried showing some pity and handing him the ring, and only then did I get the exp for completing the quest. What the fuck? I don't think this is normal.

What's the point of the Two-Handed/One-Handed/Dual-Wield skills? Isn't it better to invest in warfare instead, since it also amps your physical damage anyway + gives you access to new skills?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not surprised at how many people can't even play a simple game directed at adolescents, but I'm surprised at how many refuse to read the text or even look at the screen.

And this is supposed to be (have been?) an anti-popamole forum? Which year was that? People can't find an NPC in the center of the town, others are bitching for a "highlight all button" (btw the console controller interface - what a coincidence, huh - has just the thing for you, you press and hold A and it highlights all containers), and yet others need a quest compass to finish their quests and whine when quests are marked as failed.

Revelation for you: quests are not the self-contained fedex shit you are used to doing from your favorite game Skyrim. Get with the game's style already, ffs.

For example, I healed a sick guy, he gave me a playing card, then I went to a few guys playing cards and had the option to play that card, which had me win a big amount of gold from them. Nothing of this was ever hinted in quest log or anywhere. No quest compass either. Explore, improvise, experiment.

I have not had a single bugged quest since the beginning of the game, and we are currently just out of the fort joy and in the wood to the west. I have never opened my quest log for more than to read the text. I have never been confused at what's expected of the party to do.

Also, I really like the music. "Bobby is not a real composer" -- don't make me laugh. Probably that's why he writes music for more and more popular games while you get to be a "critic" on the Codex.

Last edited:

Incendax

Augur
The armor mechanic isn't great, but it mostly seems to be cheese protection. I used to wreck everything in DOS1 with Rain and a measly wand. It only takes one round to bring down armor, and then all your CC options are back and useful.

I have found tons of interesting tactics you can use in Tactician. We (Co-Op) hit level 5 when we got out of Fort Joy and could basically go almost anywhere except the final fight location. There was no rat in a maze for us. The fights always seem to have clever ways to win just using smart tactics. So you can definitely defeat enemies higher level than you. I don't mean that to sound like 'git gud', but the bizarre shit you can do is hilarious.

Oh! If you don't mind pissing off the magisters, you can sneak the cat out of the fort at level 1.

Artyoan

Arbiter
There is always enough ambiguity in a more open ended game, especially on its first few days of release, that its hard to distinguish between intended behavior and what might be inconsistency or even bugs.

As much fun as it might be for some to simply let things play out as they may, if you are looking for something more completionist on your initial playthru its not hard to ask questions when your intuition is sounding off that something is wrong.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree. Regarding the completionist strive, I am consciously trying not to think that way when I'm playing, and honestly, it's a lot more fun. I intentionally played only a little of the EA, 10-15 hours maybe. Most quests I've done in the fort have more than one way to complete them, and the rewards are not "balanced", thank god. But trying to explore everything on the first go, and try out every solution, it will only break the experience IMO, unless that's the way you actually like to play. The thing is that most people, understandably, don't like to play this way, but they still impose a completionist mentality on themselves. And then blame the game because they feel frustrated.

On the other hand, it has indeed been railroaded so far. The island is one main boulevard with a number of side streets branching from it. I guess it becomes more open after you get to the next big map.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quests mostly stay in journal becuase we didn't "complete" them like the game wants. Only one seems bugged was the "Burning pigs" IMHO, I killed the female undead lizard but nothing happened afterwards so I cleansed all of them 1 by 1. Still nothing happened except some XP gain.

I like the new skills BTW, sword&board feels useful, necromancer feels like a necro with all that blood and corpse spells, polymorph got brutaly effective combos and pyro got some nice nukes at last.
But some source spells felt weak especially for 2 spell slots. My non origin dwarf's armor globe was the best and its the first one.
Same about the combo spells, there are really useful ones and there are ones for wtf effect.

Quillon

Arcane
Finished act 1, too fucking long for a prologue and so many quests left I couldn't find anyway to finish and lost the will to try :P I don't like to play RPGs this way, fucking useless journal.

Mojobeard

Augur
Larian can ignore the bugs and other problems. They're not what's important right now.

What I really need is the option in singleplayer to create four undead dwarfs, three of them mages and one summoner.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indirect dialogue choices is probably up there with armor system to be the most controversial "innovations" in this game, but honestly the more I play DOS2, the more I love the dialogue.

I find a lot of isometric games to be lacking quite a bit in terms of body language expression. Sure most characters talk directly in dialogue sections but sometimes, spoken words aren't enough. One of the reasons why people praise Twitcher 3's immersion is because of its huge amount of gesture in dialogue. A person that you engage conversation with might have these small expressions like his face shows him being upset, he's sitting in front of a campfire and waves his hands while talking for example. It's all those small expressions that spice up a mundane task like talking, and IMO DOS2 did the contextual body language with indirect dialogue really well. How do you express your spiteful thought on a magister by rolling eyes and walking away with spoken words anyway? Maybe it's possible with clever dialogue writing, but the Larian solution satisfies me enough with their execution on this system.

Take this one in Tyranny for example (bear in mind that English isn't my native language so it gonna sound iffy)
4o0BmkA.jpg

What if it goes like...
1. put your right hand on your chest, let Erenyos know you're honored to aid the greater good.
2. smirk while reminding him that you did the dirty work he failed to do.
3. betray alliance, tell him you're here to take over whatever you want, and everyone stands in your way better get the fuck out

Hell, even if I choose the third option, what if I don't want to say that line? What if I wanna say "You fuckfaces think I'm here to save your sorry ass of a so-called high grade army? Better get out if you still want your body remained intact". What if someone else wanna say "I have another idea of solving this situation and it doesn't include y'all", what if another one wanna say "Your job is over, our alliance has come to an end, leave or I have to use violence"? Larian solved that. There's a lot of great potential in this indirect dialogue system and I really hope Larian manages to expand it in their next games.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Larian can ignore the bugs and other problems. They're not what's important right now.

What I really need is the option in singleplayer to create four undead dwarfs, three of them mages and one summoner.
What's the difference if you create them in multiplayer and play them by yourself? I've been thinking about a similar thing.

Edit: I agree with everything in Belegarsson 's above post.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Indirect dialogue choices is probably up there with armor system to be the most controversial "innovations" in this game, but honestly the more I play DOS2, the more I love the dialogue.

I find a lot of isometric games to be lacking quite a bit in terms of body language expression. Sure most characters talk directly in dialogue sections but sometimes, spoken words aren't enough. One of the reasons why people praise Twitcher 3's immersion is because of its huge amount of gesture in dialogue. A person that you engage conversation with might have these small expressions like his face shows him being upset, he's sitting in front of a campfire and waves his hands while talking for example. It's all those small expressions that spice up a mundane task like talking, and IMO DOS2 did the contextual body language with indirect dialogue really well. How do you express your spiteful thought on a magister by rolling eyes and walking away with spoken words anyway? Maybe it's possible with clever dialogue writing, but the Larian solution satisfies me enough with their execution on this system.

Take this one in Tyranny for example (bear in mind that English isn't my native language so it gonna sound iffy)
4o0BmkA.jpg

What if it goes like...
1. put your right hand on your chest, let Erenyos know you're honored to aid the greater good.
2. smirk while reminding him that you did the dirty work he failed to do.
3. betray alliance, tell him you're here to take over whatever you want, and everyone stands in your way better get the fuck out

Hell, even if I choose the third option, what if I don't want to say that line? What if I wanna say "You fuckfaces think I'm here to save your sorry ass of a so-called high grade army? Better get out if you still want your body remained intact". What if someone else wanna say "I have another idea of solving this situation and it doesn't include y'all", what if another one wanna say "Your job is over, our alliance has come to an end, leave or I have to use violence"? Larian solved that. There's a lot of great potential in this indirect dialogue system and I really hope Larian manages to expand it in their next games.

''Say that the dialogue style is crap and he's a fucking retard'' [Faggot]

Mojobeard

Augur
What's the difference if you create them in multiplayer and play them by yourself? I've been thinking about a similar thing.
There's four slots, but you can only create one character. Technically you could do it like in the first game; open multiple instances of the game. But obviously that's really heavy to run.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The dialogue style is actually better than characters speaking from first person. Brings a more P&P feel for me. With time, I start to imagine how characters would say their lines.

Using your imagination is also part of the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A lot of people experiencing broken quests and I'll chime in and agree. Have like 5 or 6 quests in my log that I completed and got the rewards for bug no closure in the log. I believe one of them didn't grant me completion XP either.

That said I like this - even better than the first. IMO the armor system makes up for more flaws than it causes - and one of the biggest flaws was in the original as well in a lesser form (it being more efficient to stack damage types than to go for a broad party). Still, I can see why I would think that (being a PoE-fan) while DivOSEE fans hate it, because it makes the combat 1) harder, 2) less easy to break, which of course comes at the cost of the dynamism and complete unpredictability of the original. In the first one crazy elemental effects were going off everywhere during the first half of the game - in the second one they're sparesome strategic options that aren't even necessarily the best way of dealing with an encounter.

In other words, Larian tried a Sawyer on their completely unsawyerlike game.

The fort can be a slog but no more so than the lategame of original, and so far Driftwood seems to be more in the style of Cyseal which is certainly welcome (though I don't get why they chose some backwater town - why not something more creative? Larian is weird in that they have all these zany ideas but then suddenly something gritty is thrown into the mix).

Game won't break into my top10, not even close, but it's cool

EDIT: Also the thing they did with the Thievery system should just be the standard in every RPG ever from now on. Still not perfect but better than any other implementation I've seen. You're incentivized to steal but it's a strategic choice, neither free nor never worth it

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
I'm honestly surprised by a lot of you. I haven't been on the Codex for very long, and this way of acting baffles me. It's as if some of you people actually WANT the game to be bad for some reason... if you actually relaxed for a mere moment, instead of trying to look for bad things in every nook and corner, you probably enjoy yourselves a lot more. Does this game have its flaws? It certainly does, as with everything else, but it's also an incredibly fun piece with a vibrant soul. It's quite clear how Larian poured their hearts out to make it.

And it shows. If you haven't bought the game, do yourselves a favor and play it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's as if some of you people actually WANT the game to be bad for some reason...

well...
Spazmo said:
Odds are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex.

modern users have condensed this credo to the more straight

RPG Codex said:
everything is shit

which imo is the true motto of the codex despite the current one being more inventive

Quillon

Arcane
Everything's too game-y, nothing's believable already, on top of that third person dialogues, guess its consistent within this game where you play for the combat. I'd hate see it in other games. So stop approving the shit dialogue style where devs took the easy route.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom