Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Bobby is not a composer in the sense Kirill was. Kirill graduated from the Moscow Conservatory with specialization in composition, back when it wasn't a big joke. A few big 20th century composers have graduated from there, like Sofia Gubaidulina and Alfred Schnittke, Aram Khachaturian and Nikolai Medtner, too, but they are not as big. Dmitri Shostakovich was a teacher there, but he died 9 years before Kirill's enrollment, Kirill's teacher might've been Shostakovich's student, who knows. Bobby is self-taught and, consequently, not as versed in music or its construction, so he can only muster really simple things. His orchestration is also pretty bad and barren from a technical standpoint.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is this bug or do I need to progress? I won arena match some time ago, quests tells me to talk to that woman there, but she gives me 0 options.
F3kM5ZAJc-Rso5srtCxv1BTCJcoKL_FHHPtF4q9w66nPZVmAO8W-Gn8abCLjra1Gn2gHMFt_=w1680-h920-rw

open

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The most important factor influencing your party is the party level because there is level scaling akin to Witcher 3: You have huge penalties when you fight +1 enemies and you have no penalties when fighting same level enemies (or lower). Your build can influence how much damage you are doing with your weapons but you can be sure that you are in a interval which is below what is allowed for +1 lvl enemies.
Wasn't it the same in DOS1 though?

To be honest I don't know how it was in DOS1. I never played enough to get a bigger picture of the game.

But for DOS2 I think I'm around 50% if not more. I suspect there is level cap at 20 but I might be wrong.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am confuse - can anyone tell me exactly when you gain talents? I thought you were supposed to get one at 7, but then I didn't and a Wiki told me 1, 3, 9, 14 etc. But now and 9 and well... no talent. Haven't got one since level 3, what gives?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
What's a good build for a ranger? I wanna go with Ifan as my PC, but I'm not quite sure which skills to pick/focus on.

Finesse: Memory 3:1, start with 1 huntsman, 1 scoundrel, then do warfare 10 while adding 1 huntsman on level 4, then do 10 ranged. The pawn & glass cannon as first talents, rest doesn't really matter.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Anyone know which file handles the presets? And if they do, would you kindly share that file and the file path?

Edit: Figured it out, and editing presets is a fucking cakewalk.

Jesus, even Provoke gets resisted until you have removed the armor. There is thin a line between balancing stuff and No_fun and Larian clearly passed it.
It becomes even more stupid when you realize that Taunt is blocked by Physical Armor, even, as if it's not even a mind-affecting effect or anything. No, it literally bounces off the fucking armour.

There's really no point to going for anything other than pure nuking, if you want to min/max even a little. You can only punch through armor with damage, with is effectively just extra HP in that context, and once that's done, and you're doing consistent damage, CC is mostly playing with your food, or - more commonly - bundled with the damage-dealing anyway.

Last edited:

Ruzen

Savant
I think the music fits perfectly to this high fantasy theme. Good usage of the orchestra I say. Few pieces really stuck in my head but overall doesn't come front of the game during exploration (which is good). I also liked the instrument idea. I liked both exploration and combat songs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am confuse - can anyone tell me exactly when you gain talents? I thought you were supposed to get one at 7, but then I didn't and a Wiki told me 1, 3, 9, 14 etc. But now and 9 and well... no talent. Haven't got one since level 3, what gives?
I got a talent at level 7. Picked the one that increases memory by 3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The music "fitting perfectly" is an illusion, there is no such thing as music is an abstract art. It might fit the mood, but many things would fit the mood while being better compositions. Mead, Gold and Blood doesn't make sense as a musical construction, it's eclectic and cheap, a string of alternating samey "melodies" that do nothing to build tension or construct a form. Using a bansuri adds a bit of an exotic touch, but it's the only exotic thing in there, at least the only one which is given precedence, making it stand out awkwardly. The orchestration is utterly barren, he'd get a failing grade if he submitted that to an academic exam. It's just dilettantish. Does anyone care? I suppose not, even I don't care, as I don't go to games to listen to quality music, but if we want to judge it seriously as music it is what it is.

Ruzen

Savant
I too find armor based combat is locking the game as well. In the taunt example as Luckmann pointed out. Game's rules force you to base all your tactics around nuking. Which is very uncommon but becomes enjoyable after few hours. Using origin characters in tactician mode feels enough challenge to me. I dunno If It's a common knowledge but my Pollymorp+Rouge is still fun to play even after 20 hours game time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My final attempt at figuring out what I have been doing wrong with the quests that won't complete has lead me to this conclusion: I broke the order in which some tasks should have been done. I'll just say screw it and continue on with the next act.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is toro correct in that the game has TW3 style narrow level bandwidth?

Also, what difference does it make for your PC to become Fane or Ifan or whatever? So presumably Ifan 'disappears' as a recruitable NPC. But then I suppose you would do 'his quest' if there is one yourself? Does your dialogue change? Do you just 'miss out' on the dialogue you'd have with Ifan as an NPC (not that, in Larian tradition, it would be a big loss)?

Lacrymas

Arcane
As far as I remember, Larian said that you can't control the origin stories of your companions or what they choose, they'll just do what they are programmed to do and that's it. If you are an origin story, however, you get to choose dialogue options and the outcomes. I don't know if that's the case in the finished product.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
If you lead with a high wit character with the haste spell while the rest of your party is chilling on a patch of high ground a screen away, you can draw enemies into an ambush. You can beat overleveled packs that way on Tactician, and if you do it right you'll usually do it on your first try without having to burn any res scrolls.

If you walk around as a blob of 4 and eat the full brunt of the enemies AoE attacks at the start of every fight, yeah you have to be the mouse in the maze.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this bug or do I need to progress? I won arena match some time ago, quests tells me to talk to that woman there, but she gives me 0 options.
Looks like bug.

Haven't got one since level 3, what gives?
Bug?

Has anybody tried something of a dagger/backstabbing build? The game showers me with magical daggers and I have no one to use them.
I did, but as LW I faced problems you know which - companion quests. )
I think, as LW it is just easiest win from all builds.
I'm a little biased - I like rogue types.

Raapys

Arcane
Protip for anyone else pissed off with regular walking and combat speed; download Cheat Engine, start game, load game process in CheatEngine, activate speed hack and set it to 2x. Much more pleasant to play. Though clicking NPCs that walk around can be challenging at times.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck me, it took an hour to get through the bishop fight, I even went for a smoke at some point. Fuck you Larian "we don't know how to make a speed slider" spend less on VO and more on the technical side. Cheat engine it is, I guess...
As a side plus - while soloing, your fights will be quick, unless you'll use some asshut exploits like Pope Amole showed.

Also he did a video which maybe can be helpful.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Bobby is self-taught and, consequently, not as versed in music or its construction, so he can only muster really simple things. His orchestration is also pretty bad and barren from a technical standpoint.

Did he already worked on this kind of (big) project ? What scene is he coming from ? Gaming already or more movies or anything else ?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Did he already worked on this kind of (big) project ? What scene is he coming from ? Gaming already or more movies or anything else ?

He started off in the Bulgarian video game studio Black Sea Studios (which is now a subdivision of Crytek as far as I know, they only do outsource work), in which he composed the Knights of Honor soundtrack. After that he composed the music for Crysis 2 and 3 and Two Worlds 2. How he got the work at Larian, I have no idea.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Oh man, the amount of bugs here.....Had to start new game twice. How long has it been in EE for?? Didnt expect this crap from Larian though. Sad times.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Tip for anyone who didnt played beta and somehow want to be semi competent in the game -spec your team in one damage only, either magicka or physical. Dealing both damages is useless, its better to have a mage for CC, and rest physical damage dealers. Or otherwise full offensive spell mage team, plus one tank to aggro melee mobs.

And disengagement mechanics should be more penalizing -maybe always crit od diseng? And its a shame that you need perk for this to work, it should be for every character who wield melee weapon. I was wondering why were enemies disengeging my rogue, and its because of lacking the perk :/

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tip for anyone who didnt played beta and somehow want to be semi competent in the game -spec your team in one damage only, either magicka or physical. Dealing both damages is useless, its better to have a mage for CC, and rest physical damage dealers. Or otherwise full offensive spell mage team, plus one tank to aggro melee mobs.

Yeah I'm very glad I made a ranger + poly two-hander + death knight tank and then a healer. The last one was supposed to deal magic damage with Aerotheurge but I rarely use it exactly for the reason you describe. Another unfortunate byproduct of an armor system that hasn't really been thought through.

On the plus side, the Necro-Knight works perfectly. Dealing damage with with weapons leeches life due to the Necro passive, and this also goes for Retribution meaning: enemies hit you --> you deal Retribution damage --> you get healed. Using Blood Rain for massive Health Blood Suckers is nice (biggest heal so far is 205) and a staggering amount of Necro-spells (like Pain Shackle or whatever it's called, Bone Cage and Death Wish) really go well with the Tank play style.

Respecced out of Leech though, it does too little and you don't really need it. Oh and the Hydrosophist point you need for Blood Rage isn't wasted at all - Restoration and Frost Armor (or whatever it's called) are really nice, the latter cures tons of bothersome status ailments regardless of your Intelligence.

I suspect the build would be much, much better with a two-hander, but it seems fine with sword-and-board as well, you become pretty immortal.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol this game is a fucking mess,and not the funny one like Bethesda games.I have like 10 broken quest on the first chapter alone.Also fuck all those effects,i spend 3 hours searching for the crazy girl with the voice to only find it in the seeker camp under a ton of idiotic effects.....it was a nice ragequit.IF someone is like me... the girl is in the pond with the shiny effects.Also the bless spell is really annoying because it works on some people but doesn't work on other,i can't honestly say what the devs were thinking.The game needs a half an year in early access or some shit like that.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Yeah I'm very glad I made a ranger + poly two-hander + death knight tank and then a healer. The last one was supposed to deal magic damage with Aerotheurge but I rarely use it exactly for the reason you describe. Another unfortunate byproduct of an armor system that hasn't really been thought through.

On the plus side, the Necro-Knight works perfectly. Dealing damage with with weapons leeches life due to the Necro passive, and this also goes for Retribution meaning: enemies hit you --> you deal Retribution damage --> you get healed. Using Blood Rain for massive Health Blood Suckers is nice (biggest heal so far is 205) and a staggering amount of Necro-spells (like Pain Shackle or whatever it's called, Bone Cage and Death Wish) really go well with the Tank play style.

Respecced out of Leech though, it does too little and you don't really need it. Oh and the Hydrosophist point you need for Blood Rage isn't wasted at all - Restoration and Frost Armor (or whatever it's called) are really nice, the latter cures tons of bothersome status ailments regardless of your Intelligence.

I suspect the build would be much, much better with a two-hander, but it seems fine with sword-and-board as well, you become pretty immortal.

Well its my first playthrough, didnt look to the wiki, so my team is quite shitty. Next playthrough will experiment with solo stealth+polymorphism. And then with a nice meticulously planned team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom