Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Nerd Commando Guide Channel (ex-funbuilding & stuff)

blamzooie

Educated
EDIT: Guys don't just fist me, fist Pope Amole II too, he deserves all your fists for his hard work :^)

Bump for new videos:

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So what were you talking about in the russian FO1 series of videos?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Probably about some sweet, sweet secrets that only the dirty Ruskies know! That's why he was using their language, to keep as in the dark! I bet they found Fallout 3 hidden in Fallout 2 files.

Those dirty Ruskies...

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably about some sweet, sweet secrets that only the dirty Ruskies know! That's why he was using their language, to keep as in the dark! I bet they found Fallout 3 hidden in Fallout 2 files.

Those dirty Ruskies...
And it wasn't even an ironman playthrough! Pope Amole II what do you have for your defense?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
And it wasn't even an ironman playthrough! Pope Amole II what do you have for your defense?

I haven't played F1 as much as I played F2 so I couldn't remember it that well. Not to mention that I've died, like, 2 times - once by going at momma Deathclaw with no minigun ammo (could've been prevented) and once by being too lazy to sidestep from plasma rifle mutant (you always respect plasma rifle mutant). Compared to what is present on the youtube, my LP is still the heyday of Fallout play. Most players spend, like, an hour fighting leutenant and don't even dare to go against the Master.

As for what I've been talking about: it was some gameplay comments + analysis of why Fallout actually became cult classic + analysis why none of Fallout's presumed clones didn't really reach it heights + just generic game mechanics ramblings. Lots of stuff. A bit spread out and not very structured, of course, but my viewers tend to like this podcast/LP hybrid style.

And, before you get too depressed, I actually plan to make an english version over the next week - thankfully, it doesn't take much time. With a different build, though - dunno, which one.

t

Arcane
Patron
And, before you get too depressed, I actually plan to make an english version over the next week - thankfully, it doesn't take much time. With a different build, though - dunno, which one.
That's my boy :) I suggest unarmed 1AP per hit build.

t

Arcane
Patron
Pope Amole II This build seems ridiculously tedious, really. I hope you just invest some points in any other fighting skill and be done with it.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pope Amole II
I'm playing Underrail with a melee build somewhat similar to your mauler build atm.
Did it a bit different though. First I didn't invest anything in agility, pumped up dexterity instead (also only 4 int to get even more dexterity, don't wanna waste my feat points on some minor crafting improvements). In the beginning I missed sprint but with the great number of tools to incapacitate enemies I don't need to be fast and can even afford to waste an entire turn on walking near them from time to time.
Dexterity gives me lower AP cost for attacks so I get a couple of the points I lost back that way and it makes my build more versatile because I can specialize in the much more useful unarmed feats and have synergies with psychokinesis (also Dex improves critical chance for melee). Nothing beats slowly walking up on your wimpy gun blazing foes and punching them in the face with your pneumatic combat gloves (the 4. punch nearly always kills them).
Sledgehammer feats are a bit shitty in comparison but the raw damage of that weapon is still unmatched.
Also I didn't invest anything in dodge and evasion. Constitution 10, the "Last Stand" and "Thick Skull" feats, some shield emitter and a good metal armor are more than enough. They always hit me but I barely notice it.
Besides melee I invested points in throwing, hacking, lockpicking, traps (fallback plan in case I hit a difficulty spike, didn't use it so far though, even Depot A is a cakewalk on hard), the crafting skills, psychokinesis and intimidation.
Smooth sailing so far. The only thing that was a bit too hard and forced me to savescum was that fight against Vince earlier in Junkyard but I could have avoided that and just paid if I wasn't such an autist. ^^
By now I would wipe the floor with that sucker if I didn't already but back then I wasn't geared up enough for the task (shitty armor).
uY4i1sx.jpg

I often eat an eel sandwich before fights to reduce the AP costs for my gloves by one. Will add +1 dex on lvl 12 and after that increase strength.

JHx5EcV.jpg
Will pick Combo next. :bounce:
... No wait, will raise int to 5 and pick Cheap Shots instead. Or maybe... damn this is hard, so many options!

Long story short:
I can't remember any other game with such a great variety in useful char builds.
As long as you min-max a bit and know what you want (so no jack of all trades) basically every approach works.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
Now that my channel is earning a grand amount of $40-50 per month in ads (russian ads rate are more liek aids rate and I don't get that many foreign views, though they help a lot), I'm having a nice art budget for my channel. There are lots of more or less affordable artists out there, you know, so I'm able to do stuff like this:

And (probably more in codexian interests) this:

I have some underrail stuff in plans too, but I'll need to find an artist for that first. Out of these two, I've actually hired the first one to work on our gamedev projects (as she's an awesome babe) and the second dude is kinda expensive. Nevertheless, the Underrail one will be fabulous.

It'll take some time, though, as Styg hasn't really invited me to closed beta and I have no underrail content to post...

ED: bigger version of F2 pic is here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117302272

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
Is your other game a CRPG?

Nah, we don't have the budget for this yet. It's black & white noir-ish Dungeon Keeper inspired stuff.

I'm also working on two (lol) Darkest Dungeon clones as the side projects. Yeah, I've been blabbing in such an inspirational manner that people just came to me for the game design. Those still aren't rpgs but, well, hadn't got any offers on that front yet.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Thank you for the blessings, father Amole. I think D:OS2's character building has gotten pretty well dumbed down, but the game is fun so far. If you asked me if I thought a physical and magic armor system where those stats needed to be stripped off before applying CC's would be a good one, I'd probably have said yes. I'm enjoying the game in spite of the systems, however. What are your thoughts?

Pope Amole II

Developer
I've already made a vid about this stuff one year ago and my opinion barely changed - phys/magic armor is a bad idea that goes against the core concept of divinity 1 (crazy combos). Likewise, there is too much stuff that is efficient and simple (whereas everything should be tricky and wonky). The game still plays pretty good because it's built on the strong foundation of the original, but it could've been better.

Another problem is that it's pretty raw and too much stuff just doesn't work out as well as it should. The whole retribution-perseverance-leadership package is just misleading, air & water magic has been slaughtered, too many talents are overnerfed, etc. Can't make crazy combos without crazy elements.

thekdawg21

Augur
I'm on Tactician and where I expected it would be hard with how the stats are bloated up, but I'm 60 hours in and it's really pretty easy. Not using a summoner, and don't have optimized builds. Think I used two consumables and even then I'm pretty sure I didn't need them. Granted I'm on Lone Wolf and the weird ass "Me go, you go, me go" initiative system means I have a great chance at killing someone quickly and starting the long slow "I'm gonna win, they have no chance, but it's gonna take a half an hour" fight.

And yeah that's the Commando, pretty awesome videos explaining mechanics to we lazy douchebags who don't feel like doing it ourselves. :salute:

Pope Amole II

Developer
As I've been saying in my Lone Wolf guide, they're bonkers because of the simple math. The damage threshold for basic rogue character is 250% X 1.5 X 2 = 750%. That's finesse bonus X warfare X backstab.

The damage threshold for LW rogue is 400% X 2 X 2.5 = 2000%. Which is 2.66 times bigger and debunks the common argument "well, the LW have 12 AP, the party has 16".

LW totally disbalance the game as it's not build for numbers this high (especially later on). It's not even about the summoners - they are not even the coolest LW builds, to be honest.

thekdawg21

Augur
Interesting. I haven't delved too much in to the systems yet. I just assumed that since I was doing more damage and was able to burst down potentially dangerous foes more quickly than a full party team I was winning. You're right though, looking in to how damage is calculated it seems that the LW party has a higher damage potential. Throwing out 12 AP worth of higher damage (rather than the normal parties 8 AP in the same time period) before the enemy can use more than 4 AP (or whatever the Tactician equivalent of one enemies turn is worth) is sending the enemy in to a death spiral. Thanks for your analysis once again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom