Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 2008 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Aveyond 2: Ean's Quest

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Drakensang: The Dark Eye

Votes: 50 45.0%
  • DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fate: Undiscovered Realms

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Geneforge 5: Overthrow

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • King's Bounty: The Legend

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • Mount & Blade

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

Votes: 64 57.7%
  • Sacred 2: Fallen Angel

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Space Siege

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played Drakensang, Geneforge 5, King's Bounty, Mount and Blade, all of them decent games but wow is that a poor year. Really, really poor.

We got a decent game based on a pen and paper system, Drakensang, which is good enough but not stellar. The sequel River of Time was better.

We got a sequel, Geneforge 5, which is one of the best of its series but it's also the last worthwhile game Vogel made up to now. His last high point before he declined into re-making his remakes and trying to ape Bioware with Avadon.

King's Bounty is essentially a resurrection of an old DOS game. It's a fun game, but the best in the series was Armored Princess. Good game tho.

Mount and Blade is fun for a while before it becomes repetitive, but luckily there are boatloads of mods to add longevity to the game. Mods are this game's lifeblood. Just like King's Bounty and Drakensang, however, this game is surpassed by its sequel... although Warband does more than just surpass the original M&B, it completely obsoletes it. There's no reason to play it over Warband, unless you want to try an old mod that hasn't been ported over.

Most of the others I haven't played, but SoZ is an expansion to an already existing game so I don't know how well we can count this as its own game.
Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods is an insult to every Gothic fan out there. Gothic 3 was buggy, but there was a good game beneath the bugs. This, however... this is pure shit. It's like a bunch of Indians went from their designated shitting streets into an office bulding, crapped on a DVD, and then sold the result as a game. Which may very well be what happened here.
Sacred 2 is an average Diablo clone that doesn't quite reach the quality of its predecessor, Sacred 1. Meh.
Space Siege is one of the most boring Diablo clones ever made, and I'm a guy who actually enjoyed Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. But this? Wow this is bland.

Terrible year overall.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Drakensang 1 was a very good game. Decent story and Atmosphere and the quest were pretty good. In my eyes still better than Dragon Age: Origins.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
fantadomat

True, but we're talking about 2008, aren't we^^? Although I found that the story in game 1 was better connected, but 2 had livelier companions and it's the game I played through more and I still can play without losing the fun, hmmm ... hard decisions, hard decisions.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
King's Bounty: Legend/Armored Princess are damn nice games, but are they really RPGs? There are quests, items and character progression, but I don't think that the games like KB, Heroes Chonicles or Age of Wonders are RPGs.

King's bounty isn't anything like Age of Wonders. Age of Wonders is a strategy game because you have an active AI competing with you and it's about painting territory your colour, including building towns if you want to. King's bounty does not fit in the strategy bracket as it has none of this, the enemy will stay where it is/partoling until you slay it, then it is gone from the game, you clear areas as you would in an RPG via questing.

This whole is it or isn't it thing with King's Bounty is very much an old RPGcodex thing that, like a lot of codex things, emerged as a result of wanting all RPGs to be like Fallout/Baldur's Gate kind of stuff, combined with 2008 being timed during the "where are my Fallout and BG RPGs" era of posting (many of whom still remain in that perspective, of course), but to clarify, here's some stats and general info for King's Bounty: The Legend:

Won Best Role Playing Game, Best Game, Best Game Design and the Audience Choice award at the Russian game dev conference, the KRI awards.
Won Best RPG Hybrid for 2008 at Gamebanshee and was nominated for best soundtrack
Has the 5th best user score of any PC game on Metacritic for 2008, a whopping 8.7
Was Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Editor's choice for 2008
Came 3rd with both users and editors at RPGwatch in their 2008 end-of-year polls for best RPG.

It's a game that has no genre home, but the place where people will be talking about it the most is in the RPG genre. It's a game with some unusual mechanics, but anyone who's used to RPGs will join the game running more than they would have coming from any other genre. Of all its composite parts, its the RPG which is the most front and centre. It fundamentally isn't a strategy game and it's barely a tactics game, but it is an easy fit for RPG conventions just with a few minor differences from the norm.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Drakensang 1 was a very good game. Decent story and Atmosphere and the quest were pretty good. In my eyes still better than Dragon Age: Origins.

I felt like the story structure was a ripoff of Witcher 1, but it's been quite a while since I played it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
JarlFrank

Ehm I think you remember it quite a bit. The stories couldn't be more different. Drakensang was a simple adventure with a prophecy and The Witcher 1 had big decisions, grey characters, mutants and no Dragons to slay. So how would they ripp this game off?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat

True, but we're talking about 2008, aren't we^^? Although I found that the story in game 1 was better connected, but 2 had livelier companions and it's the game I played through more and I still can play without losing the fun, hmmm ... hard decisions, hard decisions.
Meh we are talking about RPGs,years doesn't matter ;).Really liked the final boss from river of time,it was really nasty battle with a few stages,it remained me of the lizard asshole from the first game.River of time have more use for skills in dialogues,also a few fun side quest.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JarlFrank

Ehm I think you remember it quite a bit. The stories couldn't be more different. Drakensang was a simple adventure with a prophecy and The Witcher 1 had big decisions, grey characters, mutants and no Dragons to slay. So how would they ripp this game off?

The general structure of it reminded me a lot of Witcher. The progression from village to town to swamp, for example. Same sequence of environments.

Citizen

King's bounty isn't anything like Age of Wonders. Age of Wonders is a strategy game because you have an active AI competing with you and it's about painting territory your colour, including building towns if you want to.
Not saying they are similar, I said that both games have
quests, items and character progression

Age of Wonders is a strategy game because you have an active AI competing with you...
Last time I played through BG/Fallout they too had some kind of AI competing with my party/pc. But I've got what you mean. Enemy AI in RPGs is just a decoration, it resists your attempts to beat it, but it doesn't have a possibility to beat you. It can engage in battle, but it never plans a war.

Actually, it would make a descent idea for an RPG: you're travelling the world, doing quests and killing shit (plus some grand strategy mechanics like conquering mines and castles, estabilishing ramparts), and at the same time multiple AI controlled parties are doing the same: leveling up and hunting you. So you have to be careful and plan your moves not to be caught by them unprepared, and compete with them all the time.

I have nothing against KB being in the poll, I think that it's the second best game of 2008 so it surely deserved it's place. I was curious about how it got here.

P.S. I hope you're going to include AoW:Shadow Magic in the 2003's poll, so I could vote for it from 15 alt-accounts.

Severian Silk

Actually, it would make a descent idea for an RPG: you're travelling the world, doing quests and killing shit (plus some grand strategy mechanics like conquering mines and castles, estabilishing ramparts), and at the same time multiple AI controlled parties are doing the same: leveling up and hunting you. So you have to be careful and plan your moves not to be caught by them unprepared, and compete with them all the time.
Some space sims attempt this, I think. Hasn't made its way into CRPGs yet, though.

Space Rangers did this, although admittedly minus the hunting part. Still, it made for an awesome game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Space Rangers did this, although admittedly minus the hunting part. Still, it made for an awesome game.

HoMM did this long before SR. And Disciples. And Jagged Alliance. Mount & Blade did it later, and a whole lot better. Wasn't too hard, coz SR was shit. The very core mechanic of that game was shit, but most of 'dexers choose to ignore this fact for reasons unknown.

Anyhow, why is Valkyria Chronicles not in the list? Not trying to start another what is an RPG discussion, but you included King's Bounty, so what the heck?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Valkyria Chronicles
consoles does not matter
only PC ports counts

about poll
Space Siege was indeed bland game, and the c&c where you turn slowly into machine by replacing body parts? That was a joke, you get whooping 1-3% stat boosts with it and some new voice lines from NPCs, that's it. And that game make me hostile toward games with all these +0,38% stats differences inanity, never liked it. I want only quick glance to tell if this new sword is good/shit and worth replacing my current gear.

FATE - bland hack'n'slash with basic everything, no idea why it was popular enough to give an inspiration for Torchlight (they should do Diablo clone, just better one but that was too hard, heh).

Sacred 2 - huge boring world. It's a hell for completionists doing all quests in the areas, it's not a waste of time, it's just a waste of life.
One feature that other games should have but they never did - weaker enemies run away so you don't waste time on them for little to no reward.

King's Bounty - Legend
did not liked it due colors and DRM and choosing anything beside mage. Still - Armored Princess and WotN are better.

Gothic3 was nice relaxing lawnmower simulator if you replace grass with humans and orcs. But add-on was simply disastrous and because I played that crap I still have voices in my head whispering "ArcaniA is not that bad you know, maybe you should try it?".
Thanks curry.

NWN2 - SoZ played v. shortly because trauma from beating NWN2 OC was strong enough to spoil my experience with MotB and stop with SoZ after 1h via Ctr+Alt+Delete on loading screen that never fucking end.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom