Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The same happened to me. Reloaded my quicksave

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I see. I thought I wouldn't risk with Tactician, and later I read here that once you go Tactician, you never go back.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Anybody got a link to skill book recipies?

Also, is there a way to poison that fag Garvand, in chapter 3 at driftwood?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, I don't see truth in the complaint that differentiated armor handicaps the player, and I don't see truth in the complaint that it oversimplifies combat. After there was no armor types in D:OS I don't see how their addition can make combat more simple.

In DOS1 enemies had difference resistances to damage types. For example skeletons were highly resistant to slashing damage but vulnerable to blunt, etc. The same to magic elements. Why is not that enough? Yeah, OK CC problem.

Well, just limit the number of CC skills or the level you can acquire them, and give some nasty enemies great resistance against it, and balance the encounters around it, putting the resistant enemies farther in the map to increase difficulty; ton of sound options. After all this game has no random encounters, only handcrafted ones, so you can work with a lot of tactical scenarios.

But they went with the easy path. They created 2 kinds of shields that block everything until the energy is depleted, and they equipped almost every enemy with them and done. No enemy tweaking, no special toughness for mighty foes. It can't be simpler.

Now you taunt a petty thug and his leather armor prevent it magically. You are right, not only the system is more simple, it's absurd.

Cromwell

Arcane
I don't mind the armor system as much as everyone seems to. Ok, just think of the enemy as of having more HP, with an added difficulty for you that to drain his health you have to do one of just two different types of damage. That's the whole minigame, and like the whole game, it's targeted towards players relatively new to the genre. What is the big deal?

As I said above, it invalidates the skills. Whats the point of having skills that give you more options but being forbidden from using them. I know it sounds retarded but the problem here is that its just not fun, its a slog. I dont give a fuck about min maxing and rolled a polymorph / necro character thinking it would be really cool to rush in stand there and rape them with tentacles and cc while they have a hard time killing me because I also have leech and I can suck up blood and I can shackle the bastards to die with me and so on. Guess what, none of that shit is doable because armor blocks bleeding, armor blocks shackles armor blocks cc. which means I can Bullrush in (no gorge because armor ofc) and then right click them to death.

They could tackle the chain cc problem by designing fights with more mobs or give them skills that demand you control them while killing their friends, ofc this alsow ould force you to use your skills to control mobs and without the cc you would probably be fucked but at least it gives the skills meaning.

For example:

When I entered the prison there was a fight against some magister asshole and his dog while his buddies (with bows) stood there and nourished a hard one watching him torture some other guy. I tried a few things and reloaded because I got fucked very quickly. I had the option of either fighting him because hes a dangerous motherfucker, or fighting his minions which would go down easier (after walking 300 miles because they of course start on high ground and nobody gives you any skill to deal with that shit) what I normally do in such a scenario in any given rpg is find a way to distract / disable the big guy and rape his weaker minions so that I can dispatch of the big bad later but not here because armor.

I solved this problem by very heroically placing my party behind some stone (because I knew the fight would start) and using my tank to start it and his first turn to run away like a little girl forcing the archers to come down and look for us. I could then fight the group (meaning I rightclicked them to death because armor). I also had to watch my positioning to not get knocked down because you as a player dont have enough armor to withstand whatever shit they use. I think such a tactic is called cheese and while I know larian to be big cheese fans I dont think such maneuvers can be called "intended tactical thinking".

On the other side there was a fight against a bazillion voidwoken which was a bit annoying since I didnt know when these fuckers finally stopped coming but at least it was fun to be finally able to actually use all my skills but thats a fight you get after you flee fort joy.

I play on normal mode or whatever its called and cant even imagine how painful it must be for people who have to do that on tactician because all your tactics wont work because larian found a way to design a system thats so meta their armor stat effectively blocks fun.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quick Questions: is the game playable when giving companions their default classes? Also Where can i find Bard Woman? So far I found Red Prince and Thane to be bro like and would rather not run with crazy assassin who slaughters merchants and the dwarf who rebelled against the Queen. (I play as :obviously: Dwarf Master race of course who thinks that Queen dindu nuffin wrong.) Also people who think POE had better dialogues thand DDOS are mad or really :retarded:.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My brother is gone, drive off to another city for fishing, should be here today already, cell doesn't answer.
Looks like DOS2 should wait.

Cromwell

Arcane
Quick Questions: is the game playable when giving companions their default classes? Also Where can i find Bard Woman? So far I found Red Prince and Thane to be bro like and would rather not run with crazy assassin who slaughters merchants and the dwarf who rebelled against the Queen. (I play as :obviously: Dwarf Master race of course who thinks that Queen dindu nuffin wrong.)

lohse is standing right before the statue in fort joy. Playable is debatable but everyone of my party has their core class (rogue wizard wayfarer) and I created a char for me myself. I cant say if their stats are good I tend to overlook such things but it enraged me that my rogue started with 2 in sneaking and 0 in thievery.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Imo the "problem" with overabundant CC in DOS was added only in the EE, when they expanded the skillsets with a bunch of new disables and added the grenades and shit, which suddenly made all characters able to inflict every status effect out there.

All they had to do if you ask me was remove the grenades and limit the skillsets a bit in terms of status effect overkill. But no, it's better to gut the entire system and put in popamole forcefields instead.

V_K

Arcane
why did I take the pet bro trait, fuck. there are sad dogs everywhere. I can't, my princess mononoke heart breaks hearing them since they apparently also have best voice acting compared to other characters. (
a-and all their stories are so SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Holy shit, yes! Also, there's this black cat that you can chat with a bit on the beach and she starts following you, which was really nice. And then, in fort Kill Joy I got too close to the gate to the actual fort and some asshole guard fucking sniped it on the spot with his crossbow. At first I thought he tried to attack me for getting to close to the gate, but then he actually said "bad luck if one of those things crosses your path".

WHAT THE FUCK, LARIAN?
such mature so grimdark

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell, I was doing this quest for Lohar, went into a cave where a bunch of flying voidwokens captured my party and drop us in various places. Fane was hanging around then got surprise mfkers'd, so I let him flee and he teleported back to the arena in the basement below the tavern. Not sure if I broke something...

imweasel

"Favorable Wind Scroll" crafting recipe.

Check out the main ingredient. :cool:

RytWkwq.jpg

Sentinel

Arcane
So I just left Act 1 and all the quests that were open from it which I thought I had concluded because I couldn't interact with the NPCs anymore now show up as failed. "You failed to help Lord Withermoore", even though I freed his soul and even went back to him but he was dead, couldn't do anything. Same for that priestess woman in the hideout who turned out to be a necromancer, even though I could not interact with her beyond the "wow the statue cried tears just for you amazing!". Same for Amyro the elf. Is this a bug?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also, there's this black cat that you can chat with a bit on the beach and she starts following you, which was really nice. And then, in fort Kill Joy I got too close to the gate to the actual fort and some asshole guard fucking sniped it on the spot with his crossbow. At first I thought he tried to attack me for getting to close to the gate, but then he actually said "bad luck if one of those things crosses your path".

:happytrollboy:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I just left Act 1 and all the quests that were open from it which I thought I had concluded because I couldn't interact with the NPCs anymore now show up as failed. "You failed to help Lord Withermoore", even though I freed his soul and even went back to him but he was dead, couldn't do anything. Same for that priestess woman in the hideout who turned out to be a necromancer, even though I could not interact with her beyond the "wow the statue cried tears just for you amazing!". Same for Amyro the elf. Is this a bug?
I heard that Withermoore's quest ends with him appearing in the gargoyle quest to help you with a barrier. Pretty weird because the quest specifically says you only need to free his soul.

Cromwell

Arcane
I think I will putt off playing this and just start the first again which I never finished. Maybe they change something around with the armor in the meantime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom