Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why did I take the pet bro trait, fuck. there are sad dogs everywhere. I can't, my princess mononoke heart breaks hearing them since they apparently also have best voice acting compared to other characters. (
a-and all their stories are so SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
can you help emmy and buddy together?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Man, I cannot get over how much I hate the Physical/Magical shielding system. It completely invalidates any openings that aren't pure damage, and guarantees that it immediately bogs down to a firing squad melee, as well as creating a clear line of specialization between magic damage and physical damage, despite the character development mechanics favouring hybrids. If the system was a system of partial resistance, so that, for example, if you had 100% of your potential armor up, you'd had a 75% chance to resist (or something), it might've been more tolerable, but right now it's extremely predictable; you just know whether something will work or not, and the number of things that you know will work consists of initial nuking and nothing else.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? How long as this been part of Early Access? Because it feels like something half-baked and untested that was thrown in at the very end, completely fucking with the combat gameplay.
why did I take the pet bro trait, fuck. there are sad dogs everywhere. I can't, my princess mononoke heart breaks hearing them since they apparently also have best voice acting compared to other characters. (
a-and all their stories are so SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
Pet Pal is a fuckingh horrorshow. That fucking dog on the ship. I even felt sorry for the fucking sheep that bit it. And oh god.

The bear-cub whose mother died.

:negative:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
I think Larian has a hard-on with jumping protagonist while they have sexy time
met this dude in a tavern in Driftwood, he told me there's this *wink wink* lizard that satisfies you if you paid some gold, I knew it was bait since the same thing already happened in the first game. Still went in anyway, got ambushed as expected, used the teleportation pyramid to let my friends into the room and killed them all, then had sex with him again

even when he's part of the gang

while those corpses were still burning inside the room

damn sociopaths

oh and quest log didn't update further after killing robbers so I walked back down and killed the guy that hooked me up instead, journal finally closed the quest. Thanks Larian ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyone who has gotten far enough to play around with Source powers yet? Their functionality seems limited at best since points are in limited supply and they aren't all that powerful

Shadenuat

Arcane
The bear-cub whose mother died.

:negative:
arrrh I just met it :negative: more than dogs I love the bears and it's just baaaaw

might as well take glass cannon on everyone, get 2handers and and simply go for massive bursts of damage in a single round
Who wants 1-handed anyway? it's 2 action points for any weapon.
2yPMaxy.png
justa dropped from garrick fight

although I am not sure how initiative works anyway. same mystary for me as Lucky charm skill.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is like the opposite of what happened with PoE, where everybody started on Normal/Hard difficulty instead of PotD and regretted it.

But PotD also has stat bloat. :troll:

On tactician mode with the bloat removed, the armor system is still :retarded:. I stacked fucktons of armor on all my chars and on the 2nd round of combat everybody has had their defenses stripped already, might as well take glass cannon on everyone, get 2handers and and simply go for massive bursts of damage in a single round.

In Explorer mode, armor on your own characters is practically a nonissue, considering that only npcs flagged as bosses will use crowd control abilities against you. Gives more weight to the idea that this was almost entirely tested on the easiest setting, especially given that it also cuts enemy magic armor and armor by half, and enemy health by 40% (and gives you a damage boost of 50% on top of that).

Sjukob

Arcane
Anyone who has gotten far enough to play around with Source powers yet? Their functionality seems limited at best since points are in limited supply and they aren't all that powerful
You can create new surfaces with them which apply healing , restore armor or boost resistances or they can apply uncleansible dots and various debuffs . My custom character has protective barrier skill which instantly restores a good deal of armor and boosts resistances I think it's strong enough . Also some of the more powerful skills in schools require source points as well , like Skin Graft for example .

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
PoE PotD was practically nothing but stat-bloat. Honestly, never really hated the whole stat-bloat-as-difficulty as much as I did until I played PoE. I realize that that's pretty much how it's always been, to a degree or another, but it seems to be really noticeable with modern games - possibly because modern games are generally much easier at their core, so the only easy way to actually make things challenging is massive stat-bloat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So are we meant to enchant "vanilla items"? Haven't really toyed around with the crafting system much yet but you seem to find a lot of good bases

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I also highly dislike the neutered character system and all the neutered 100% deterministic mechanics that come with it.

Sure, the one in dos1 wasn't by any means particularly good, but for fuck's sake, at least it was something. It had saving throws, spell penetration, casting failure chances, etc, now all that is there for you to raise is damage in hurr durr +5% increments, and nothing else. Ridiculous.
Yeah, I really fucking hate that all you get from most attributes is just +5% to X Damage. At this point, it makes you wonder why they're there at all and why it hasn't just gone the Diablo 3 route and said no stats for you you cannot handle it we'll make the good choice for you it's not like it makes a difference anyway ok.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE PotD was practically nothing but stat-bloat. Honestly, never really hated the whole stat-bloat-as-difficulty as much as I did until I played PoE. I realize that that's pretty much how it's always been, to a degree or another, but it seems to be really noticeable with modern games - possibly because modern games are generally much easier at their core, so the only easy way to actually make things challenging is massive stat-bloat.

PoE PotD is literally only stat-bloat, as the number of enemies and their skill usage is the same as on hard (afaik?). It forces you to stack accuracy on every character that isn't 100% support. Having said that, however, I think the stat bloat was more precisely calculated to give a semblance of real difficulty, as opposed to just slapping 50% on everything and hoping it'd work. Whether PotD was simply added as a forced Kickstarter promise (like a lot of the content in general) is debatable, but they had 2 years of balancing patches to figure it out, so it's a bit more balanced as far as stat bloating goes. I think some stat bloat is good because sometimes the stats themselves aren't calculated properly on the lower difficulties, so upping them up a bit is the appropriate move, but the whole armor system Larian have in place is just bad design that could've been avoided had more thought been put in the system as a whole. Alas. We'll see what comes out of D:OS2's system after 2 years.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You can edit this values in Character.txt
Where is this file? I cannot find it.
Ok, so do this:

1. File needs to be extracted. Don't know from where. Get file from here:
http://www.filedropper.com/character

2. Find the lines

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
type "Character"
data "ArmorBoost" "50"
data "MagicArmorBoost" "50"
data "Vitality" "50"
data "DamageBoost" "50"
data "Accuracy" "10"

3. Edit or delete the lines.

4. Put the .txt file here:

\Divinity Original Sin 2\Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data

You will need to create the folders

5. ???

6. Profit

I just tested this. Deleted the lines so it looks like this now, also started a new game since the changes don't seem to apply to already existing saves:

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
type "Character"

The bugs on the ship lost 8 HP, the 2 guards start with 8 HP instead of 12 and only 13 armor. Will see how this goes from here.

All info courtesy of the good people of the Larian forum in this topic:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=611227&page=4

WARNING: The game returns a warning upon boot that you will no longer be able to play Multiplayer if you do this. Caveat Emptor.

A couple of questions:
  • Has anyone gotten this to work in multiplayer? I haven't tried yet (because I can't), but since playing multiplayer is what I want, it's important I get it working. Does the game actually block out multiplayer, or is it a compatibility issue, i.e. as long as we're both running the same changes, it works?
  • Is anyone as annoyed as I over the fact that Larian is not consistent in their use of abbreviations? I.e. the counterpart to "HarcoreNPC" is "HardcorePlayer". It should be "HardcorePC".
  • There was a third one but I forgot what it was.
Edit: Has anyone tried penalizing the player on higher difficulties? Or would that fuck up the numbers? I'm interested in what would happen if, say, the player had a -25% reduction of armor, and if you then have something increasing your armor, if it would account for the -25% or if the numbers would come up as fucked.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How is act 2 onward? Does it decline in quality like D:OS1 or it continues in the same way?

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
No one finds the starting city, Fort Joy disappointing compared with the one in DOS1?
Driftwood feels much more similar to Cyseal. The thing about Fort Joy is that trying to escape isn't as much fun and intriguing as playing detective in the first game.

btbgfel

Scholar
Got an idea.
in character.txt,there are lines like

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
data "ArmorBoost" "50"
data "MagicArmorBoost" "50"

change it to

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
data "ArmorBoost" "-100"
data "MagicArmorBoost" "-100"

and add them to HardcorePlayer as well,maybe this will remove armor/magic armor, may need to restart, anyone willing to try it?

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't even understand what Persuasion does. Everytime a "persuation" check shows up the options are all based on my ability scores instead of my Civil Abilities. Does it just add my Persuation Score to the Ability Score (Strength/Wits/Intelligence....) I picked or something? Doesn't even seem to work since I've been failing every persuasion attempt with my STR focused barb.

I don't know what it does but I can tell you this:

My main character has 30+ INT and no Persuation.
My fighter character had 30+ STR and 5 Persuation.

My main character fail all conversation checks even when they display the INT requirement.
My fighter character succeeds in all conversation checks regardless of the INT/STR/WIT requirements.

I think it's really retarded.
So the ability scores aren't actually checked and you can pick anything you want as long as you have points into Persuation?
Sounds retarded.

Sentinel

Arcane
Say what you want about Sawyer but at least they informed the player at the difficulty selection screen of what each difficulty did exactly.
And he probably wouldn't have allowed for this retarded XP distribution in the first act

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
PoE PotD is literally only stat-bloat, as the number of enemies and their skill usage is the same as on hard (afaik?).

No, it includes all the enemy variations from easy/normal/hard instead of replacing them as those modes do. Some people have stated they don't like how grindy it feels as a result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom