Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Been playing for like 10 hours now and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it
As always, the Codex's pathological belief that good taste is expressed by indiscriminately shitting on everything you try is stopping a lot of people here from enjoying what is, at least so far, a really fun game.

2017 Codex shitting on everything new that is made by a company consisting of more than 3 people big shocker.
If a beloved established Codex classic like Arcanum that is mechanically way more wonky than release day D:OS2 is would be released today it would be ripped to shreds by the usual suspects. "Lol this tech build is so bad why even bother when you can just HARMSPAM worst game ever!" followed by crybabies like that utterly insufferable 12 year old (or at least I hope he is) Lacrymas who hasn't actually played to game but spends his saturday having a lot of opinions about how he always knew it would suck big time regardless. Reading some valid complaints here but unfortunately a lot of it gets buried under the noise and edgy posturing. This board sure used to be more prestigious.
Although I abstain from using ratings, I nearly came to brofisting this.

Speaking of the voice over, I just realized that one fantasy cliche that I will never get tired of is dwarves speaking with a Scottish accent. It just seems...right.
Same here.

There are two known cheapskate nations on earth -Jews and Scotts. So obviously they choose scotts, dwarves speaking hebrew or yiddish would scare the fuck out of most people.
There are also Armenians, who are notorious for their frugality. Probably other nations too.

I don't even understand what Persuasion does. Everytime a "persuation" check shows up the options are all based on my ability scores instead of my Civil Abilities. Does it just add my Persuation Score to the Ability Score (Strength/Wits/Intelligence....) I picked or something? Doesn't even seem to work since I've been failing every persuasion attempt with my STR focused barb.
Didn't you read the tutorial message - your Persuasion uses a base attribute which gives it some unspecified bonus, and this is compared to the persuaded party's attribute (and persuasion skill?). Anyway Persuasion has an effect on the outcome.

A couple of UI issues I found, both with the controller interface:
1. Whenever a quest giver rewards you with an item of your choice, the interface where you choose the item will only work for the first item you choose. If you change your mind and try to return the item to choose another one, an empty square with the counter "0" in its lower right corner shows up on your side of the Choose reward UI. Then, whatever other item you choose as a reward, when you confirm, you get the item you chose originally.

2. In the quest which has a fruit as a container item, you can open the fruit as any other container and take whatever is in it. However if you try to put something back into the fruit container, it's bugged. You can take the item, choose "hold in hand" then point to the fruit container. The tooltip says "A Put". but when you press "A" you will not put the object (in my case, some herb) into the fruit container but will simply consume (eat) the fruit container, as if it was a normal fruit. The herb I tried to put there simply disappeared.

Regarding the physical/magic armor, what I am noticing is that they direct our party's actions towards attacking the same armor and trying to bypass attacking the other one, which I think was Larian's idea. Still a pretty simple idea for making combat more tactically challenging but I think that was their intention with it. However, I have not encountered an enemy yet, excluding the single assassin who was above our party's level, whose armor we didn't erase in one-two turns. Our party isn't OP and I am not that experienced in D:OS combat.

Of course, if you play on Tactician, the armor/HP bloat probably fucks you even if you are not underleveled, but we never even tried Tactician mode, so I don't know about that. We play on Classic.

Also, a pro-tip: electricity damage bypasses both armor types.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The most retarded quest.

In chapter 4 there is a quest where each member of your party has to fight a VoidWocken ... ALONE.

Actually I'm stuck with this shit and the Summoner was the best of the bunch until now.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
I complete quests and some of them never leave my log. What the fuck.

I picked up the soul jar, took it to withermoore, freed his soul, then he died and the quest is stuck in my log. What else am I supposed to do?

You can manually hide quests. Just set them to inactive and hide inactive quests.

Regarding the physical/magic armor, what I am noticing is that they direct our party's actions towards attacking the same armor and trying to bypass attacking the other one, which I think was Larian's idea. Still a pretty simple idea for making combat more tactically challenging but I think that was their intention with it. However, I have not encountered an enemy yet, excluding the single assassin who was above our party's level, whose armor we didn't erase in one-two turns. Our party isn't OP and I am not that experienced in D:OS combat.

Of course, if you play on Tactician, the armor/HP bloat probably fucks you even if you are not underleveled, but we never even tried Tactician mode, so I don't know about that. We play on Classic.

Also, a pro-tip: electricity damage bypasses both armor types.

I'm playing on Tactician and I've quickly removed armour on every enemy I've encountered so far. People are either retarded(don't try to go pure magic on someone like Radeka) and/or underleveled + undergeared.

They probably shouldn't be playing on the hardest difficulty if they can't handle enemies actually getting a turn before being CC'd to death.

Jezal_k23

On classic difficulty, I can see an argument to be made that the armor system is fine as is, because it's easy to get rid of armor.

On tactician, however, due to stat bloating, from what I played I think it would feel better if the chance for an effect to be applied increased linearly as enemy magic/physical armor decreased (if an enemy has full armor, you get 0% chance to apply an effect and 100% if he has no armor left).

Other than that, I'm starting to grow to like this system a bit more as I play since I've been having more enjoyable fights since I got past level 4. Still, I think my suggestion would work well, at least on tactician. Can't speak for classic since I didn't play it.

Still can't believe they went for stat bloat on tactician after having handled difficulty properly on DOSEE though. But it's not entirely ruined because at least you do get the AI improvements and sometimes it really can be pretty devious on tactician.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually it's to easy to remove armor in classic diff.(if you are lucky with drops) Armor bloat is pain in the ass in tactician imho, every combat becomes a chore. At least we got necrofire.

But I'm liking the new skill book combinations. The one we get by combining geomancy and warfare is cool for frotliners. My fighter can absorb nearby oil fields for good amounts of physical armor.

Niklasgunner

Savant
After 30 hours every save I load crashes the game. On tactician I reload every few minutes. Might aswell not continue playing until this is fixed.
Considering restarting on classic since every enemy being a damage sponge is not fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is like the opposite of what happened with PoE, where everybody started on Normal/Hard difficulty instead of PotD and regretted it.

According to SteamSpy D:OS 2 have sold 70 000 copies in last two days :D

These numbers aren't accurate yet, it's too early.

Metatron

Augur
This is like the opposite of what happened with PoE, where everybody started on Normal/Hard difficulty instead of PotD and regretted it.
This is the smarter thing to do though since 95 % of the players and all reviewers will start the game in classic mode anyway.
RPGs where higher diffuclty doesn't mean HP bloat are unfortunatly pretty rare, especially in the modern age.

Niklasgunner

Savant
So I'm assuming Chapter 2 starts once you escape the island? I'm not looking forward to playing through fort joy again but if I have most of the game left to enjoy I can push myself through.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm playing on Tactician and I've quickly removed armour on every enemy I've encountered so far. People are either retarded(don't try to go pure magic on someone like Radeka) and/or underleveled + undergeared.

They probably shouldn't be playing on the hardest difficulty if they can't handle enemies actually getting a turn before being CC'd to death.

It's not about difficulty, the system makes the combat boring and lacking depth.

Like someone said before, it disencourage roles and creative tactics to fight, because in the first half of the fight all you can do with any character is damage. It's a matter or cheaping away a new health bar or two that protects fully against anything fun.

In the first game you could overcome some hard encounters using creatively the enviroment or your skills, not getting superior armor than the enemy or overlevel them. And for me this was one of the main strengths of the game. It was fun playing around with a fun and well designed system.

Now it's like playing a turn based beat 'em up, not a tactical turn based RPG.

This is DOS2 in a nutshell, Haggar you better go to the merchant and get another health bar with a 25 cents coin. Git gud noob!

ffdi_inline_1259661729.jpg

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So I'm assuming Chapter 2 starts once you escape the island? I'm not looking forward to playing through fort joy again but if I have most of the game left to enjoy I can push myself through.

Yes. It does.

Doktor Best

Arcane
A reminder to us all that reviewbombing is an effective method of communication.

It isnt in this case. Youre hurting a company financially in a pretty significant way that poured their heart out to make a great game because you had to wait 2 days for a goddamn translation patch.

Thats high-handed, petty and pretty retarded behaviour if you ask me.

Incendax

Augur
It would have been nice if they added more enemies instead of stat bloating Tactician. CC is still incredibly powerful, you just have to spend 1-2 rounds blasting away armor before you start using CC. The game is honestly really damn fun, even with the stat bloat. It's clear that Larian poured their heart and soul into the game, and the flaws are massively overshadowed by its strengths.

The biggest QQ a few people seem to have, and they are not necessarily wrong, is that the first 4 levels are a bitch. You're a prisoner with absolutely nothing, scrounging weapons and strapping rocks onto branches to make weapons. Complaints about difficulty are heavily influenced by this initial spike. But personally, I love it and have no problem with that hurtle.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They made me kill the dog ((
because it did't want to speak to my Red Prince with persuasion 3, kept talking to main with barter

i hate you larian

Combat on classic is fine, more or less (I also had my gotcha moment with Taunt blocked by armor since I play summoner). Challenging even, if you don't craft, play wacky hybrids and don't abuse system too much. (on tactician I wouldn't play summoner, battlemage, wizord and cleric, I'd roll 1-2 guys with zweihanders and 1-2 ranger with crossbows (elfs preferably since they are the best combat class) and maybe a support caster).

Summoner is better once you realise you can summon multiple totems every turn O_o

And yea, it's all about drops. On my first run my elf got crossbow and did 2-3 times more damage than anyone else.

Now all I get is
pants

purple pants for finesse builds. which I don't have.

And yeah game expects you to clean Fort Joy. Kill all the magisters, it's like 2 levels and 3+ artifact weapons. I entered marshes at level 5 (!).

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't you just craft new items every level instead of praying to RNGesus to smile on you?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
And yeah game expects you to clean Fort Joy. Kill all the magisters, it's like 2 levels and 3+ artifact weapons. I entered marshes at level 5 (!).

There was so much extra story stuff for clearing the place out as well. I almost missed the whole high judge scene.

Sjukob

Arcane
I already hate the main idea behind the plot. "You must become the next divinity and stuff" . I hated how you were forced into this shit in DOS1 , I hate it here even more , I don't care if you can make the divine one out of one of your companions , I just don't want anything to do with this crap ! Why do so many games have this needless epicness attached to them ? Why can't we enjoy a story about simpler people ?! REMOVE THE SEVEN ! FUCK !

Freakydemon

Educated
That character.txt file editing works, got rid of my NPCs bloat and this is a lot better. Highly recommend you do the edit on Tactician mode.

Krzysiek

Learned
A reminder to us all that reviewbombing is an effective method of communication.

It isnt in this case. Youre hurting a company financially in a pretty significant way that poured their heart out to make a great game because you had to wait 2 days for a goddamn translation patch.

Codex weren't so kind when inXile didn't fulfill their promises. If Larian don't want reviewbombing then they should work harder or postpone release until the game is done in 100%.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I already hate the main idea behind the plot. "You must become the next divinity and stuff" . I hated how you were forced into this shit in DOS1 , I hate it here even more , I don't care if you can make the divine one out of one of your companions , I just don't want anything to do with this crap ! Why do so many games have this needless epicness attached to them ? Why can't we enjoy a story about simpler people ?! REMOVE THE SEVEN ! FUCK !

Writing a story that reflects and informs about the human condition is hard work, so why do that when you can write something that is removed from reality altogether and not have to deal with pesky "logic" and "introspection"? Fantasy! Also, the next logical step to being a slave out for revenge or a rebel fighting the Evul Empire, or a mercenary out for revenge is literally becoming a god! Epicness! Writing!

Doktor Best

Arcane

Codex weren't so kind when inXile didn't fulfill their promises. If Larian don't want reviewbombing then they should work harder or postpone release until the game is done in 100%.

Its good to finally have some leverage over developers, especially when it comes to industry giants like Bioware or Bethesda, but people yet have to realize the responsibility that comes with that power.

Backlash has to be reasonable.

I also dont think Inxile deserves all the shit they get thrown at by the way.

Shadenuat

Arcane
why did I take the pet bro trait, fuck. there are sad dogs everywhere. I can't, my princess mononoke heart breaks hearing them since they apparently also have best voice acting compared to other characters. (
a-and all their stories are so SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom