Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Big talk from a confessed pirate who illegally downloaded Wonder Woman.

Zep--

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Part two:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES
[developer] 13 hours ago

I didn't think FelipePepe gave Grimoire a fair review but it would still be up here if he had simply allowed me to append to the end of that thread "I never actually said anything about the game being totally broken. I am aware it still needs polishing." That review would still be up here. FelipePepe appended to that post "I don't think you know what you said about your own game." Obviously, guy has some kind of agenda. I never bothered to figure out what it was, I just banned him permanently. Problem solved.

A lot of drama in that thread...

mondblut

Arcane
I guess the big difference is that magic is less OP, so that fights cannot be cheesed through, while at the same time leveling up faster means you will get stronger too, which offsets the new difficulty. Overall, just the right change, in my opinion.

Fights are primarily cheesed through with lethal blow spam (which suits me just fine, since spellcasting is too slow, both in initiative and animation). OTOH, my 9th level guys still need near million xp to level 10 :negative:

And yeah, the XP required for levelup should be reset after a class change.

The way it works now, multiclassing is only useful early on, and with very careful distribution of stats as to not lose on anything. Past level 3-5 you'll be shooting yourself in the foot by having all your precious speed increases erased and with no more coming levelups to restore them.

It would also make sense if all items are automatically unequiped after class change - though I can see that this may require new programming actually, since the equpied items have to go into the inventory.

Not really. The functionality of dumping equipped items into group inventory is already there for the purpose of dismissing a character. Now, dumping all items and not just those a character can no longer use is pretty meh.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I thought I read somewhere that the XP required for levelup will be changed too, closer to how it was before where people got up to Level 27. Maybe that's part of the big update.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Originally posted by Homph:
Still can't get out of the toilet! Cleve my man I don't mind waiting but it's been awhile (about a month or so) since I got my Grimoire fix...

Save file, just turn in either direction, or flush, and it should crash:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8twn0uggd7m5wxm/001.SVG?dl=1

00000000000000000036-ms: GRIMOIRE (c)2017 Golden Era Games All Rights Reserved
00000000000000000037-ms: Version: 1.2.0.26-R, User Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grimoire_Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar
00000000000000000037-ms: Create Unique Mutex
00000000000000000090-ms: Loading Configuration File
00000000000000000090-ms: Acquiring the resource
00000000000000000117-ms: Registering Resource Paks
00000000000000000117-ms: Start Message Pump
00000000000000000118-ms: Open Graphics Kernel
00000000000000000118-ms: Fastgraph Library Version 6.3 Fonts Library 6.3
00000000000000001053-ms: Sound System Initialized OK
00000000000000001054-ms: Initialize Input Devices
00000000000000011807-ms: Registering Master Text Lists
00000000000000012587-ms: Creating lookup array for all text narrative
00000000000000041116-ms: Initializing GUI
00000000000000041530-ms: Main Menu Display
00000000000000045460-ms: Loading Saved Game 001.SVG
00000000000000052652-ms: ERROR 'ResPack.cpp' Line 671 Data Record Index Exceeds End Of Binary / 19

Retard Cleve replied:
Is this a savegame file saved under 1.2.0.7 ?

I fixed the guys save in under a minute and sent it back to him...(well, maybe not exactly fixed...no way to tell what those 2 items were, but the game didn't crash anymore after I tweaked his INV.)

Zepo1a 3 hours ago Delete
I debugged your save game in DECLINE: The problem with your save game is you have two invalid objects in your Inventory. So, I turned 1 into Swamp Leeches and just deleted the other (made it an empty slot in your INV).

Zep--

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I thought I read somewhere that the XP required for levelup will be changed too, closer to how it was before where people got up to Level 27. Maybe that's part of the big update.
Sadly, that is only for new games. In new games for progressive levels, the XP goes up ~2.3x, instead of ~2.6x.

With old save games in the new version, if you switch classes, you still have to finish the XP for your current level, so you should only switch right before you get to the next level, so that you aren't casting spells as a level 1 char and such. After you get that level, the XP required for more levels is back down to 2000, 5200, 13000, etc. So even class changing doesn't give you the new XP leveling tables.

I'm not even sure old save games get the benefit of the new XP tables from killing stuff. I got in a dozen or so fights in Tower of Knossos and a few other places and it seemed like some of the XP might have gone up 10% or so? Maybe some creature XP was raised significantly in other areas? I haven't gotten to the endgame areas yet.

So maybe new save games can get to level 20+ by the end of the game, but old save games will probably be finishing the game at level 11-13? With creatures having much higher spell resistance and party spells always going off at the end of the round anyway, casters in old saves will be pretty much worthless since they don't have enough mana to cast spells at the higher power levels to get past that resistance. Cleve really needs to fix that. Monster spells/abilities go off at the beginning of combat, so as Mondblut says, it is all about melee crits. Instruments also go off early, so they matter too. Right now, the optimal party still looks to be 6 melee, 1 bard, 1 sage.

I had a couple quests ready to turn in, the XP given for those did not change. Maybe they change for new games?

Cleve brought some nice improvements in this latest patch, but most of them seem to be for new games only. He did say some improvements for old saves will be coming in the next patch though. It does look like by the time V2 arrives, Grimoire will be in very good shape, whenever that will come, maybe next Friday.

Last edited:

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Sadly, that is only for new games. In new games for progressive levels, the XP goes up ~2.3x, instead of ~2.6x.

The more I look, the less change I see in leveling XP. Cleve doesn't use an exact multiplier when leveling.
Sage to level 2 is 750 XP
Sage to level 9 is 244k in new saves
Sage to level 9 is 274k in old saves

Update: I did some more testing and I saw no change in the XP requirements for first few levels.

Last edited:

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Done a lot more testing between older versions and the current version and XP requirements are also dropped a lot for old save games in the new version at the higher levels.

My level 8 sage from an old save needs to get to 274k to get to level 9. A brand new sage would only need 244k, a difference of 30k. At level 17 those same sages need 5040k and 5010k, still a difference of 30k.

Meanwhile 5000k XP in older versions of the game would only have gotten my sage to level 14.

So, exactly like with changing classes, you need to finish your current level before seeing the new XP requirements come into play. Old saves lose a bit, but in the long run they gain most of the benefit of the new XP leveling tables.

Around level 11, the XP stops going up as a big multiplier and just becomes like 500k/level or whatever, with a slight increase each time.

Last edited:

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Disclaimer: I used DECLINE to do all this testing. It is a buggy mess. With all the gloating Zep has been doing, I expected better. Without even looking for what unintended changes it might have made, I noticed that it gave all my chars ninjitsu and changed my gold by a lot. No telling what other visible or invisible changes it might have made. Anyone tempted should use it with extreme caution.

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Looks like the current max level is about level 35, after that it crashes on level gain. There is a bug in Grimoire at level 21. At level 20, the char screen says "Twentieth", at 21 it says "Twenty", at 22 it says "Thirtieth", at 23 it says "Thirty", etc. It glitches when it would say "Hundredth", which is actually only level 36. I assume others have already seen this messing around with decline, but I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Leitz

Learned
Turtles are the best way to travel.

8oqZb7d.png

lStmQ4W.png

What game is that? I mean at the bottom.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Disclaimer: I used DECLINE to do all this testing. It is a buggy mess. With all the gloating Zep has been doing, I expected better. Without even looking for what unintended changes it might have made, I noticed that it gave all my chars ninjitsu and changed my gold by a lot. No telling what other visible or invisible changes it might have made. Anyone tempted should use it with extreme caution.

You are using an old version of Grimoire or an old version of DECLINE. None of this stuff happens when you are updated with current release of both versions.

Zep--

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 15 hours ago
The caster's skill level determines how much power is delivered at the level of the spell cast and that power is saved against by the castee's resistance. In some instances other modifiers are added - some spells are marked +10% save, +25% save etc.

Baff

Cipher
Patron

You are using an old version of Grimoire or an old version of DECLINE. None of this stuff happens when you are updated with current release of both versions.

Zep--
I am using 1.3-A with 1.2.0.26.
On my save I have about 640k gold, I open it in decline and it shows about 63k. I have seen it do this a bunch of times.

In comparing XP with the previous version, I ran 1.2-F with 1.2.0.25 and it did the same thing to an older save where I had like 350k.

Not sure when the ninjitsu thing happened, wasn't paying that close attention to that.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep--
I am using 1.3-A with 1.2.0.26.
On my save I have about 640k gold, I open it in decline and it shows about 63k. I have seen it do this a bunch of times.

In comparing XP with the previous version, I ran 1.2-F with 1.2.0.25 and it did the same thing to an older save where I had like 350k.

Not sure when the ninjitsu thing happened, wasn't paying that close attention to that.

Gold is dependent on the save file. It's data has moved it's location around a few times since Grimoire release.

As far as Ninjitsu (and other skills), I unlocked that (or all skills actually) in one version...then in later versions I added the flags for you to lock or unlock. (0 or 1).

If you send a save file, I will look at it. Without that, you get what you get. I really don't care about bug reports without a save file, to be honest.

GrimZep777@gmail.com

Zep--

Citizen

Cleve, do you still plan a gog release? Are you waiting for manual completion to release it as "Grimoire: Complete"? I'm rollin' a party and playing first 30mins of Wiz7 every weekend over and over since august, afraid to start a playthrough of any other game.

Dorateen

Arcane
GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 1 hour ago
Your spell skill now will have a major impact on whether or not your spells are effective. If your character has under 5 points of skill they will only succeed once in a blue moon casting spells. After level 10 it should get better. Note that power level of the spell cast is important too.

Sorry, people clamored for MUH BALINSE well this is balanced. The spell casting skill is now very closely related to whether or not your spells will succeed and have any effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom