Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jezal_k23

I agree that armor implementation is iffy. Magic/physical armor shouldn't be a guaranteed block of every possible magic/physical effect. As it stands a lot of skills are pointless to use until you wear down your enemy. I think armor should mean a chance for attacks to be blocked, not a guarantee.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think they should remove both PhysArmor and MagArmor and apply some :balance: so that status effects aren't the be all end all of every fight.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I've just had terrible luck so far then? That would explain that basically every single fight of the game the last 2 hours has been nail-bightingly tough lol. Random loot boyos

The random loot system is truly infuriating.

My 2h knight keeps finding upgrades all the time, the rest of the party is still using shit equipment.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
sooo what's the verdict is it less complex than the first game and thus inferior?

or are the changes to things like the armors simply a different approach that doesn't affect the game's depth and will mostly be something only fans of the first game will talk about?
It has quest markers so it's decline. D:OS didn't have that casual trash until EE.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
sooo what's the verdict is it less complex than the first game and thus inferior?

or are the changes to things like the armors simply a different approach that doesn't affect the game's depth and will mostly be something only fans of the first game will talk about?

Imagine than in Elminage Gothic you have to destroy magic armor in goblins to sleep or paralyze them, or even more funny to destroy a 50HP leather armor in trash rogues before having the chance to deal any damage or behead them with your uber ninja.

It's so retarded and boring that If people like this shit can only be due to story faggotry and distaste of turn based gameplay. And even by those standards it's a total fail.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Restarted on Classic and the game is actually enjoyable. The level design is one thing they improved massively, with all sorts of secrets and optional areas. I like.

Still on the fence about the armor system. Yes it's annoying but I'm starting to see advantages as well. DOS1, as was pointed out, DID turn to a boring slog mid-game on, mainly coz it was always the same pattern: CC mobs -> bash on them mindlessly. I'm nowhere close to mid-game here but if the amor system mixes things up occasionally then it's good. But sure, phys armor should NOT be a thing on dogs, animals or some such.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They could've just not given out CC abilities like candy to everyone if they didn't want everything to devolve into CC spam. Make them rare and/or higher level, with long "cooldowns", so you have to use them wisely.

Colour Spray

Educated
The vendor at the bridge seems to restock every level. It's a good idea on tactician to wait until just after you level and look for upgrades to fill out your weaker slots I find. I figure the rest the of the game will have diablo style vendors too, if that is the case there. Having a current level weapon seems pretty important for getting through shields in a single character's turn; although it was a real struggle up till level 5 and I had a good idea what I was doing from having played the Early Access already. At that point the base damage increases enough that the multipliers start to kick in and you aren't facing 100 shield enemies whilst you have 9 shields yourself, either. :argh:

Besides what everybody else has been saying, my major buttache with having started playing on tactician is that even when I'm winning, the battle takes a long time to play out.

Btw, there's a physical based knockdown skill for wielding a 1 handed wand(weapon?) with no off-hand. It's really short range but only costs 1 ap. I have a mix between magic and physical attackers (which strikes me as plainly not optimal) and having my hydrosophist being able to perform a physical knock-down has been a god-send. (As well as the free cat summon who the ai will gladly waste ap and cooldowns on nuking.)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They could've just not given out CC abilities like candy to everyone if they didn't want everything to devolve into CC spam. Make them rare and/or higher level, with long "cooldowns", so you have to use them wisely.

This is a better way to balance the difficulty or depth, instead of giving low tier mobs immunity against any skill or spell depending on the armor.

Very lazy stuff.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think the design choice of "everything is immune to everything besides damage" should've tipped them off that something is fucked.

himmy

Arcane
Speaking of the voice over, I just realized that one fantasy cliche that I will never get tired of is dwarves speaking with a Scottish accent. It just seems...right.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think the design choice of "everything is immune to everything besides damage" should've tipped them off that something is fucked.

Just magic armor in low tier enemies, equally effective against fire, electricity, venom, water or hexing spells. It doesn't matter, is universal, nullifies everything,period.

Just physical armor, leather armor for example, blocking equally, blunt, slashing or piercing attacks. Or even physical special skills like stun. Only difference with plate armor? its HP bar.

Seriously, how anyone can defend this shit?

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Speaking of the voice over, I just realized that one fantasy cliche that I will never get tired of is dwarves speaking with a Scottish accent. It just seems...right.

There are two known cheapskate nations on earth -Jews and Scotts. So obviously they choose scotts, dwarves speaking hebrew or yiddish would scare the fuck out of most people.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

I complete quests and some of them never leave my log. What the fuck.

I picked up the soul jar, took it to withermoore, freed his soul, then he died and the quest is stuck in my log. What else am I supposed to do?

tripedal

Augur
The combat is so mind-numbingly slow...it really needs a speed slider (and the removal of most of this armor shit).

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
The new combat system starts to grow on me. I liked the original so much that the slightest change felt irritating at first. But frankly, I get the same fun out of it. Still not crazy about the art though (if only Larian could rip PoE's music and graphisms as easily as Fane rips people's face). But levels are improved. Better writing too. Might even get used to this voiced narrator....

And indeed, better itemization.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Don't think I received experience for freeing withermoore's soul either. Bullshit.

Jezal_k23

All jars had traps or summoned monsters except for one. I grabbed that one, and freed his soul in his cave. Then he just died and the quest is stuck in the log. At least I got the belt...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Like I've said, it's a classic "fight powa with powa" design philosophy. All the cool effects are key ingredient to the combat so every mouthbreather can have AwesomeButton (tm) to press during every turn and think he is amazing at video games. But then it becomes too much so they had to balance it out with something equally retarded.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

There are two known cheapskate nations on earth -Jews and Scotts. So obviously they choose scotts, dwarves speaking hebrew or yiddish would scare the fuck out of most people.

Everyone knows it's gnomes that speak like Jews.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ok, that's fine, give everyone Awesome Buttons to have something Awesome happen every turn, then bloat the HP so the Awesomeness doesn't kill enemies too fast. Just don't make those Awesome Buttons CCs. It's not like the droolies this is aimed at even know what CC is or how to use it.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Like I've said, it's a classic "fight powa with powa" design philosophy. All the cool effects are key ingredient to the combat so every mouthbreather can have AwesomeButton (tm) to press during every turn and think he is amazing at video games. But then it becomes too much so they had to balance it out with something equally retarded.

Combat has to be flashy -explosions everywhere, fire, ice whirlwinds, poison clouds, hence super cool looking, albeit weak abilities, that you have to spam. PoE was also akin to that. It's hard to balance that in a game where you can replenish your magicka and life on the fly. If it was finite, or even worse, world finite, that would force different mechanic build philosophy

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok, that's fine, give everyone Awesome Buttons to have something Awesome happen every turn, then bloat the HP so the Awesomeness doesn't kill enemies too fast. Just don't make those Awesome Buttons CCs. It's not like the droolies this is aimed at even know what CC is or how to use it.

Everyone playing on explorer mode is having fun. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom