Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Jinn

Arcane
- Seems like I'm the only one here, but I actually don't mind the new dialogue style. It would get annoying fast if every game tried to do this, but I'm not against this game doing it.

You are not alone in this. I'm alright with a different approach to dialogue. It took a little while to adapt, but I actually quite like it now.

As always, the Codex's pathological belief that good taste is expressed by indiscriminately shitting on everything you try is stopping a lot of people here from enjoying what is, at least so far, a really fun game.

Voice of reason.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can't tell if all the people saying combat hasn't changed are playing on sub-tactician. The combat on tactician is nothing like the original due to the insane armor bloat

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
So I take it the casual quest market shit isn't optional?
I was angry when they pulled that shit in EE. Now, I'm just disappointed. Fool me twice.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was angry when they pulled that shit in EE. Now, I'm just disappointed. Fool me twice.

If the NPCs explain where you have to go or what you have to do in each quest, then it's optional. If it's a Skyrim situation where it's impossible to find the quest location without the marker because NPCs don't tell you any specifics, then it's not optional.

Kitchen Utensil

Been playing for like 10 hours now and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it

- Seems like I'm the only one here, but I actually don't mind the new dialogue style. It would get annoying fast if every game tried to do this, but I'm not against this game doing it.
- It helps that the writing seems to have improved since the first game. I'm usually really lenient on Larian's humour and quirkyness, but it can get overwhelming at times. I haven't felt that at all so far.
- Most voices are pretty good. You might not be a fan of fully voiced dialogue, but I'll tell you this. It made conversing with animals through the Pet Pal perk more surreal by several degrees.
- Quite a few annoying bugs, like quests not completing in your journal.
- Combat is as fun as ever, with the elevation element making a pretty big difference.
- The world seems more organic than the one in D:OS. The map makes me feel like I'm travelling through an actual region more than in the first game, where everything seemed like an amusement fair, with flashy rides equally distanced from each other.

As always, the Codex's pathological belief that good taste is expressed by indiscriminately shitting on everything you try is stopping a lot of people here from enjoying what is, at least so far, a really fun game.

hipster :smug:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Been playing for like 10 hours now and I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it

- It helps that the writing seems to have improved since the first game. I'm usually really lenient on Larian's humour and quirkyness, but it can get overwhelming at times. I haven't felt that at all so far.
- Most voices are pretty good. You might not be a fan of fully voiced dialogue, but I'll tell you this. It made conversing with animals through the Pet Pal perk more surreal by several degrees.
- Combat is as fun as ever, with the elevation element making a pretty big difference.
- The world seems more organic than the one in D:OS. The map makes me feel like I'm travelling through an actual region more than in the first game, where everything seemed like an amusement fair, with flashy rides equally distanced from each other.

Voiced characters are 1. excellently voiced 2. completely optional. Too much poseurs believing that hating on VO makes you a high-brow connoseur. It's the substance, not the form, you should be critiqueing.

lack of kirill is just so apparent. the new guy is good, but they sounds like generic ambient fantasy.
And this is exactly why it is superior. When I play a fantasy RPG the music has to make me think of fantasy, elves, and magic.

Not consist of out-of-place techno samples.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

If the NPCs explain where you have to go or what you have to do in each quest, then it's optional. If it's a Skyrim situation where it's impossible to find the quest location without the marker because NPCs don't tell you any specifics, then it's not optional.
Sad. One of my favorite parts of D:OS was that every quest was something I fully had control over figuring out on my own, with nothing but finding out myself what to do and where to go. Putting quest markers in gutted that self-reliance and treated me like a retard who needs to have my hand held.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Voiced characters are 1. excellently voiced 2. completely optional. Too much poseurs believing that hating on VO makes you a high-brow connoseur. It's the substance, not the form, you should be critiqueing.

lack of kirill is just so apparent. the new guy is good, but they sounds like generic ambient fantasy.
And this is exactly why it is superior. When I play a fantasy RPG the music has to make me think of fantasy, elves, and magic.

Not consist of out-of-place techno samples.

hello todd howard

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Holy crackpipe the crossbow you get for Ifan after escaping the fort is OP O_o

It 3-shots characters I usually had to spent the combined turns of 3-4 characters bringing down

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ah well. In the end it seems I was right about this game.

In all aspects it feels just like D:OS 1 with only minor things improved, and some things actually worsened.

The graphics doesn't really look that much different, the writing and story is on par or abit better, but still shit, the combat system got more simplified, slower and worse, the music is eh, same or better, the UI is fucking atrocious.

All in all, it feels like what the EE for D:OS 1 should have been, and at best, it plays like an expansion to D:OS 1, rather than a sequel.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seriously, am I missing something? His old bow did 12-14 damage (which is in line with most of my equipment give or take), this new one deals 28-32, 30% of which just straight up penetrates armor.

Crichton

Prophet
Well, it would appear that I'm in the minority here, but I think the new armor system is fantastic (which is not to say that the implementation is perfect). All the automatic disabling status effects in D:OS created a bunch of coin-flip scenarios where the first person to inflict frozen/knockdown/charmed/stunned/polymorphed/excommunicated/whatever had the fight locked up because the other side literally can't take any retaliatory action. The armor buffer gives whoever didn't win initiative the chance to respond and restore their armor/magical armor shield before being incapacitated; which is an obvious improvement over the alpha-strike bullshit from D:OS (and 80% of similar games, including PoE, Tyranny, IE games, etc).

TL:DR: Status effects are great, but you should have to work to inflict them.

So why all the butthurt? I would agree that armor is a little too prevalent early on. Most mages probably shouldn't have any physical armor and many others shouldn't have any magical armor. The difference between a lot of the early enemies which have a little of both and the party, which has nothing at the start and probably can't afford to buy much, likely triggers a lot of people.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
30% of which just straight up penetrates armor

Maybe the armor system isn't so bad after all!

You realize this is a unique quest weapon given to a specific companion? It's like if Sagani got a bow that made her three times as powerful as everyone other PoE companion.

The only way this makes sense is if there's something I missed or I'm going to start x3 damage weapons for everyone next, in which case this game just got insanely easy or the armor bloat will have to make its next jump

Deleted member 7219

Roguey did you get a physical copy of this game or are you just posting in this thread to troll?

GrainWetski

Arcane
30% of which just straight up penetrates armor

Maybe the armor system isn't so bad after all!

You realize this is a unique quest weapon given to a specific companion? It's like if Sagani got a bow that made her three times as powerful as everyone other PoE companion.

The only way this makes sense is if there's something I missed or I'm going to start x3 damage weapons for everyone next, in which case this game just got insanely easy or the armor bloat will have to make its next jump
Sounds like you just hadn't upgraded him in a while? My current crossbow on my ranged does ~20-23 damage and I haven't left Fort Joy yet(the island, not the starting area).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Maybe I've just had terrible luck so far then? That would explain that basically every single fight of the game the last 2 hours has been nail-bightingly tough lol. Random loot boyos

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, I like the new armor system Crichton I just don't like that it's 100% deterministic
Yeah, a layer of armor penetration and saves guarding against that for status effects would make it work better.

I think armor should give gradual (and massive) save buffs depending on the amount of armor left, while lack of armor should give large penalties.

Also, I like the new armor system Crichton I just don't like that it's 100% deterministic
Yeah, a layer of armor penetration and saves guarding against that for status effects would make it work better.

I think armor should give gradual (and massive) save buffs depending on the amount of armor left, while lack of armor should give large penalties.
That could work too, yeah. Let swen and co fix the localization shit ; perhaps this is in for the DOS2:EE.

Also,
i miss krill. :(

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What the fuck is with the DETERMINISTIC bashing?

How exactly would a non-deterministic system work?????

Shoot an arrow at an enemy, maybe it hits, maybe it turns into 17 new dimensions filled with flowers playing the violin? Maybe it turns your grandma into a turnip and up becomes down? Maybe your computer rises up and and eats your kidneys alive with some fava beans and a nice chianti and moves a bookcase to create dust messages to aliens which turn out to be your grandma-daugther from the future?

What the fuck? Is this some millennial shit I just don't get?

I hope it's some massively inappropriate application of a word/phrase to something that's actually banal, shit and boring? (aka some millennial shit).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom