Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Kitchen Utensil

So this thing is even worse than the first? :lol:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At what levels you receive new talents? I think I didn't select the ones I want in Character creation, and I wonder if you receive new ones or you are stuck with the initial ones.

imweasel

The edgelords are out in full force today.
edgy.png
D:OS 2 isn't perfect and could use some improvement in many areas, but it is still a good game.

Tactician mode is great too. I love it when a game hands my ass to me, forcing me to use good tactics and well thought out strategies. I am currently grinding monks in the basement of fort joy for that much needed XP. :)

Antigoon

Augur
I tried to avoid as much news/threads about dos2 as possible to go in there completly unbiased. So probably it has been said before but my concers after 10h
1) Its much easier than the first one right?
2) Its not that reactive than it was advertised. I play the undead, and even though I am getting told at the beginning to hide my face, boney fingers etc. humans touch me, shake hand with me without any response. Didnt really expect that early on.

its still great though so far...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
also one thing that bother me is how the quest is built around quest marker. the game is good. physical / magic armor is brilliant, game mechanics is fun, but my only real complaint is "let me mark on your map" bullcrap.

i dunno how to turn it off too

:negative:

Antigoon

Augur
also one thing that bother me is how the quest is built around quest marker. the game is good. physical / magic armor is brilliant, game mechanics is fun, but my only real complaint is "let me mark on your map" bullcrap.

i dunno how to turn it off too

:negative:
This and also some fake choices. Some dialogs are almost telltale level.

Jezal_k23

Do surfaces (like fire) seem a lot less damaging than in DOS1 to anyone else?

Kitchen Utensil

The edgelords are out in full force today.
edgy.png
D:OS 2 isn't perfect and could use some improvement in many areas, but it is still a good game.

Tactician mode is great too. I love it when a game hands my ass to me, forcing me to use good tactics and well thought out strategies. I am currently grinding monks in the basement of fort joy for that much needed XP. :)

D:OS was almost complete shit, with the combat standing out because it povided at least a bit of fun. For a couple of hours that is.

Lame story, bad VA, the worst kind of humour imaginable, campy dialogs, trash-loot everywhere, over-saturated colours, mediocre soundtrack. The first map was okay-ish, but Cyseal overstayed its welcome by many many hours etc. After the novelty of the gimmicky combat wore off, what was left was a thoroughly mediocre game.

Reading this thread everything bad stayed bad, and some things have even gotten worse. Why would anyone play this? It's shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antigoon

Augur
Yeah thats one example. I dont have a high fire res but I can comfortably fight in fire. Just playing on tac though, not the highest.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Third person dialogues were in long before they decided to go fully voiced (only happened after March 2017)

It's an interesting question that we need to ask in a future interview.

Antigoon

Augur
And yet quite some players are complaining about that. They feel betrayed.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol Larian really did fuck up with the conversations. A year in beta and everyone was fine with this? Looks exactly like Vincke's brilliant idea noone dared to trash.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think anybody was fine with this, but they stuck to it because Swen is more stubborn than a mule. I'm 99% certain they justify it to themselves with "we couldn't write 7 different manners of speech for every origin + custom char". I don't think the origins were a good idea in the first place, at least not playing as them, they should've been only companions. The origins would've been a good idea if they fundamentally changed the game, alla AoD, not just have flavor text for no reason. As it stands now they only distract and actively interfere with the game.

Antigoon

Augur
exactly. It just becomes really problematic if some dude asks on steam on release date if really everything is vo incl. pc and some larian guy says yes....I dont care about vo, but from that little I followed they really tried hard to suggest you dont have to read at all.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I haven't started it yet but reading through these replies I can't help but wonder… why the fuck did I even back this? D:OS 1's campiness was already unbearable the first time around and it's not like I've ever shared the TB zealot's willingness to disregard all other gameplay elements. Feels like I'm due for a flogging. On the bright side: I'll take it as irrefutable proof that I've got money to burn – a comforting feeling.

Antigoon

Augur
Sure it has its problems, but I dont think your money was better invested in any of the other high profile kickstarters.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah thats one example. I dont have a high fire res but I can comfortably fight in fire. Just playing on tac though, not the highest.

Cos there is no fight without everywhere in flames, they have to balance it.

Pyromancy: Original Spark 2

Last edited:

Antigoon

Augur
Maybe. Really wonder on which level all these steam guys complaining about the difficulty play. I wouldnt expect that you have to consider anything on classic mode anyway. At least not in the beginning and judging from the first it wont get any more challenging

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A significant number of people (100,000+) played the Early Access (though perhaps not enough Codexers?). The complaints about obvious things like the third person dialogue choices must have been known to Larian. Maybe you should have complained harder. :cool:

Another thing is that conversations don't feel like conversations.

Maybe the reason dialogue is this way is because in fact they weren't written as "conversations" but instead as a kind of description of ways each NPC reacts to the player. Imagine a script written like this: "NPC greets player. If player is X, say this. If player asks for Y, say this."

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, why have dialogue at all? Let's just have concepts of a conversation, a theoretical framework of how interaction should/could operate. That won't backfire at all. Maybe Larian's writers are even more antisocial and lacking in conversation skills than we thought.

Kitchen Utensil

Yes, why have dialogue at all? Let's just have concepts of a conversation, a theoretical framework of how interaction should/could be. That won't backfire at all. Maybe Larian's writers are even more antisocial and lacking in conversation skills than we thought.

I'd suggest replacing text with geometric shapes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom