Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, how is the lorebook? Does it clear up the timeline of Rivellon or is it mostly about the immediate background of DivOS2?

Freakydemon

Educated
Do you really have to stack either physical or magic damage? Or is that more of a requirement on Tactician? Because I'm aiming to have a mix-match of both.
So far it seems like a must, I did 3 melee based characters (abilities related to physical armour) and one wizard (spells related to magical armour). All elemental damage is vs magical armour so don't bother using elemental unless you deal magical damage with at least 2 party members or more. Have basically given up on using the barrel meme from Div:OS 1 or using elemental surfaces since only one character in my party can capitalize on the removed magical armour. Might be more viable if you have a ton of bombs later or give everyone at least one magic tree. The physical/magical armour system is weird and not really adding playstyles, if anything I find it stifling and railroady.

Edit: I am playing on Tactician. Outside of the AI being unleashed it also increases vitality and both armours of enemies by 50%, disappointed they still felt like stat cheating would make it more challenging instead of annoying.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

First impressions... Current party is Possessed Bard Lady (as Summoner, PC), Eddie Lizzard, Spoopy Skellington, and Grumpy Arab (as Ranger).

Looks purty.
Music is better performed than in D:OS1 but just as bland and forgettable.
Dialogue system is annoying.
Sword and board is no longer completely useless! Lizzard's Shield Throw for example is kinda nice.
Summoner feels, at least in the early game, a hair OP but ultimately not that interesting to play. Totems a go go. We'll see how it progresses.

Reserving judgment about the writing at this point, but so far not impressed. If Spoopy is a MCA character, am still waiting to be impressed.

GrainWetski

Arcane
So far it seems like a must, I did 3 melee based characters (abilities related to physical armour) and one wizard (spells related to magical armour). All elemental damage is vs magical armour so don't bother using elemental unless you deal magical damage with at least 2 party members or more. Have basically given up on using the barrel meme from Div:OS 1 or using elemental surfaces since only one character in my party can capitalize on the removed magical armour. Might be more viable if you have a ton of bombs later or give everyone at least one magic tree. The physical/magical armour system is weird and not really adding playstyles, if anything I find it stifling and railroady.

Edit: I am playing on Tactician. Outside of the AI being unleashed it also increases vitality and both armours of enemies by 50%, disappointed they still felt like stat cheating would make it more challenging instead of annoying.

I have 2 pure melee(one of them has one CC that's against magic armour), a ranger and a caster. So far I can fairly easily break both armours just fine on Tactician. My ranger's crossbow does a fair bit of elemental damage, so she's good at dealing with both.

On Classic, it should never be a problem unless you're running around without weapons.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I am about to start playing, thought about rolling rogue as usuall, but first D:OS experience with that class was kinda off.
Are mage classes any good? Can I burn people to the ground and dance on their ashes?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
also, given that i'm just 3 hours in, it's likely that i might be missing something

but

the physical/magical armour forcefields that block all status effects are a completely, utterly, massively, abhorrently megaretarded feature

Wulfstand

Prophet
Thanks, I've just started my classic run.
On another note, what are the more interesting characters, dialog wise? I've got so far The Beast, The Red Prince, and am thinking of grabbing Lohse.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
also, given that i'm just 3 hours in, it's likely that i might be missing something

but

the physical/magical armour forcefields that block all status effects are a completely, utterly, massively, abhorrently megaretarded feature
That's the one thing I don't like about the game, but I am now burning through enemy shields, and I actually have my own shields now that I have found some decent gear. I wish this Dragon Age/Mass Effect style shield thing wasn't in the game because it is simply not my cup of tea.

Wulfstand I personally didn't like Lohse, but whatever floats your boat, I guess. I ditched her for Fane. Using Ifan, he's becoming a bit more useful (I'm using him as an Huntsman). Sebille, I don't know about yet. I don't mind her, yet.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

but

In any other game they would be, but here, where entire gameplay is based around Awesome(tm) effects?

It's a classic case of fighting overpowered with overpowered.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
By the way, anyone else finding themselves wondering where some Skills went? I was looking over some skill lists and some removals are just off to me. For example, while simple in what it did, Firefly was a fun skill in D:OS1, but in D:OS2, there seems to be nothing like it.

There's other changes I don't like (such as Haste not giving Warmth) but some removals stand out to me. Scoundrels no longer seem to have access to anything in terms of invisibility, either, making Polymorph practically indispensible for a good rogue.

Also, speaking of Polymorph, I'm loving it, but at the same time, it almost seems too good. It doesn't have a niche, but fits well with pretty much anyone. I don't think I'd make a character without at least 1-2 points in Polymorph. A warmage with Pyromancy 2 and Polymorph 2 must be a fucking beast.
Companion stories playing via recycled content while you can just larp them yourself is pretty awkward. I was pretty surprised to see them all happy and alive to join me since I killed them all because didn't want to leave any witnesses on the ship and was playing all Sandro.

For all the undead pop outs in the beginning of the game, you just wear a hat and you're cheeky breeky. Everyone is buddy bros with you. You don't need the mask, it's more of a gimmick since you can just talk as other party members who can be any races.

Oh and you can buy an item that turns any potion into poison potion at the end of the prologue.

So far the only actually impressive thing I found is stealing & awareness system. If you steal something, NPC would look for an item and then ask if you seen anything, and you have to pass persuasion check. That might be most impressive stuff I've seen for stealing in RPGs for long time.
Yeah, some of the convos are fun if you're undead (such as the Red Prince inspecting yourteeth at the ship, noting a disconcerting lack of gum and tongue), but aside from that, they really cheapened the "undead experience" with stuff like the mask and the healing/poison converter and the derpy conversation system.

The stealing is spot on, though, aside from the fact that you can never ever steal from the same person twice, which is pretty BS because it means you either suck at it forever, or you fucking pump Thievery to high heavens early on. But I love how the system actually works by value and weight, and as long as you stick to that, you can't fail. Sure, it may not be "immershun" because there's no chance of failure, but it sure as hell beats save-scumming because you try to steal a fucking barrel of stuff and either fail or succeed, and succeeding is still fucking nonsense.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Origins stories are a bit of dissapointment. Lohse seems like a stupdi teenager, Beast cannot be described anything other than "hates quenn", Fane has something interesting, but seems boring. Ifan is the lest liked by script-writters it seems, he's straight cliche with 3 sentences without anything interesting. Only The Red Prince and Sebille seem try worthy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Outside of the AI being unleashed it also increases vitality and both armours of enemies by 50%, disappointed they still felt like stat cheating would make it more challenging instead of annoying.

Oh wow. So that's why every fight feels like a crawl. It takes hours to destroy their
the physical/magical armour forcefields that block all status effects
Since these are in the hundreds even in the beginning of the game together with hitpoints.

I just finished looting Braccus vault after fighting illusions and I guess I will just restart the game on normal. It just takes too long.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oh great, tactician adds hp bloat, huh

the classic tacticool challenge

time to restart on normal then

(off to a great start)

Krzysiek

Learned
Comparision of classic and tactician difficulty settings in DOS EE and DOS2.

DOS EE:

NORMAL:
new entry "NormalPlayer"
type "Character"

data "Vitality" "15"
new entry "NormalNPC"
type "Character"

HARD:
new entry "HardcorePlayer"
type "Character"

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
type "Character"
data "Vitality" "20"
data "ChanceToHitBoost" "20"

DOS2

NORMAL:
new entry "NormalPlayer"
type "Character"

new entry "NormalNPC"
type "Character"

HARD:
new entry "HardcorePlayer"
type "Character"

new entry "HardcoreNPC"
type "Character"
data "ArmorBoost" "50"
data "MagicArmorBoost" "50"
data "Vitality" "50"
data "DamageBoost" "50"
data "Accuracy" "10"

You can edit this values in Character.txt

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, I wonder if it's possible to change the difficulty settings somewhere so it doesn't apply to the armours. Multiplying health is still just difficulty-by-bloat, but multiplying the armor is just beyond unfun. It's a shit way to handle it to begin with, but this takes it from "mild annoyance to avoid instant lockdowns" to "annoying fucking bullshit that bogs combat down to sword-swinging and takes all the fucking tactics out of it what the fuck is this shit kill me reeeeeee".

Edit: Fucking ninjad. Thanks a lot, man. Fucking awesome.

Freakydemon

Educated
I have 2 pure melee(one of them has one CC that's against magic armour), a ranger and a caster. So far I can fairly easily break both armours just fine on Tactician. My ranger's crossbow does a fair bit of elemental damage, so she's good at dealing with both.

On Classic, it should never be a problem unless you're running around without weapons.
Party is knight, polymorph, wizard & cleric. Not optimal setup but god damn would have been nice to know in advance what armour types these would counter for the most part. Only my wizard can do magical damage reliably every turn, both melee dwarves can do a petrify against magic armour every 3 turns and that's my party's entire magic damage repertoire. Every ability of knight, poly & cleric I started with or could buy was against physical armour so I'm completely out of the element game at this point. Just arrived at the
Hideout in the swamp
and these enemy packs can be devastating, burning through resurrect scrolls atm.

Sjukob

Arcane
By the way, anyone else finding themselves wondering where some Skills went? I was looking over some skill lists and some removals are just off to me. For example, while simple in what it did, Firefly was a fun skill in D:OS1, but in D:OS2, there seems to be nothing like it.
I really want Helping Hand to return .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom