Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You could have multiple approach to problems without a broken combat system.
You could, but what we have in reality?
PoE! PoE! tatatatatata!

The problem is that he based his balance effort on a stupid presupposition: "Every build must be valiable".
Sadly, there is nothing stupid in it, it makes great sense in terms of money-making to appeal to unwashed masses.

Have read all 27 fucking pages.
Most of them containe fruitful discussion, unlike of many other discussion - what I can say, great subject born great discussion.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
You had one roll, and not a billion

Then the game should've been designed with that in mind.

I think it was. You don't really need a min-maxed character to finish the game and much of the bonus content. Many players complain about how easy the game is and even install mods that ramp-up difficulty but forget that while the game is too easy for their perfect MC and perfectly constructed party it still has to be beatable by a someone with playing with shitty stats and a bad kit.

Sadly, there is nothing stupid in it, it makes great sense in terms of money-making to appeal to unwashed masses.
\

I dunno. Many devs don't give rat-ass about balance and still manage to sell fuckloads (Bethesda). All you need to do is make sure that you give a simple way for retards to beat the game. Unwashed masses rarely finish games multiple times, so they won't even know if your game is balanced or not as long as they'll be able to make a functional character.
After all balancing ain't free. And I'm all for spending money for balancing, but making sure that all builds are good is a waste from cost/effort perspective.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I think it was. You don't really need a min-maxed character to finish the game and much of the bonus content. Many players complain about how easy the game is and even install mods that ramp-up difficulty but forget that while the game is too easy for their perfect MC and perfectly constructed party it still has to be beatable by a someone with playing with shitty stats and a bad kit.

I meant that the game should only allow you to roll once if that is supposed to be the intended design decision.

I meant that the game should only allow you to roll once if that is supposed to be the intended design decision.

It would serve no purpose, people would keep restarting the game to get the exact stats they want. There's a reason why rolling was mostly abandoned.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It would serve no purpose, people would keep restarting the game to get the exact stats they want. There's a reason why rolling was mostly abandoned.

You can use the same argument against any form of game design because people can edit save files to get the stats they want.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

You can use the same argument against any form of game design because people can edit save files to get the stats they want.

Unlikely, since most people are morons.

If Zep can do it literally anyone outside of quadriplegics and coma victims can do it.

If Zep can do it literally anyone outside of quadriplegics and coma victims can do it.

Not true, I know people too dumb to run an emulator.

epeli

Arcane
... ensuring failure is not an option ... you'll quickly realize that passive leveling trumps everything else. Player agency is kept to a minimum in order to ensure you can't possibly screw up.

The difference between a min and a max is like...20%/30% top. So the player that makes poor choices and the player that makes optimal choices get the same result. ... ensures that the skill floor and the skill ceiling are VERY very close to each other, so nobody feels left out in the cold.

... Because the HP + damage increase from passive leveling is the thing that actually MATTERS, with player agency adding like "20% more awsum!!!" on top.

... a pretty "RPG system" with pretty numbers and attributes, feats and whatnot for you to PRETEND to be oh-so-gud-at-AR-PEE-GEES while the developer is doing the ACTUAL decision-making.

Nice to see someone with the analytical ability to see bad design, one of the major elements of RPG decline. It is likely that big studios (producers/publishers?) are afraid to limit their potential sales: Catering to the lowest common denominator becomes a business decision. The player is assumed to be an idiot - which they often are, not even realizing how little their "choices" matter. It's just like cosmetic C&C, but on the level of core game systems. It's a shame only small indie studios can provide good gameplay while only big AAA studios can provide high production values.

People like you are fucking women. You claim you want challenge, but you fucking don't.
What an odd thing to say. Let me assure you, fucking women leads to far greater challenges than playing RPGs. Whether you want it or not.

Save editors are often relatively easy to use, from what I hear. This poses no great impediment.

Everything that requires some effort poses a great fucking impediment from the players. There's a reason why every other RPG nowadays has a default quick start option, the character system had been gutted and nobody bothers to make a decent manual. I personally know at least 3 people IRL who kept re-rolling in BG until getting 18/00 str. None of them even considered using a fucking save editor. They probably don't even know such things exist.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I personally know at least 3 people IRL who kept re-rolling in BG until getting 18/00 str. None of them even considered using a fucking save editor. They probably don't even know such things exist.

They probably did it as the use of save editors is stigmatised; it is relatively common knowledge that save editors do exist.

Atlantean Fossil

Barely Literate
I love Grimoire. That game is exactly what i missed all this years. It is the real successor of wizardry 7. Cleve worked very hard on it, in his free time after work and in a life with a family around him, his wife and his son. Many of the people dont have a clue, what it means, to have a family and full-time-job. They dont know, what it means and beside of that life he did that huge project ... and he did that ALONE. He dont works with a big team of developers beside and in the back of him. Grimoire is far more complex as all the other games and more complex as wizardry ever was. Cleve Blakemore did a awesome job with grimoire and his work is REAL-OLD-SCHOOL. Many developers nowadays say that they are old school, and that they create old-school-games, but it is not real. It is more apparent. you can feel, see, hear and experience, that GRIMOIRE IS REAL OLD-SCHOOL. Everybody of the old golden era knows what i mean. all the kidies nowadays dont really know and understand, what OLD-SCHOOL really is ... Many hate Cleve Blakemore and they attacked him in the last 2 decades, but i dont think, that he deserved that. He had a hard time with sirtech and the wannabe creators DIRECTSOFT in australia ... He HAD and HAS a FIRE in himself. Back in 1994 he wanted to create something special, something he likes himself too and he wanted to be a part of it, but the people around him doesnt "allowed" that ... because they were unable. The project "stones of arnhem" failed. He worked hard for it, ALONE ... and in the end he got nothing BACK and sirtech gave him the feeling, that HE is the guilty one ... but he came to rescue the project on a time, the project was almost dead. And after all that drama he wanted to create something special AGAIN and he was ALONE AGAIN ... but what you have to understand is, THAT HE DID IT NOW ! ... it was a long time yes, but he created something special. 23 years of coding ... thats really hard and many dont understand that. With a family in the back and a full time job beside ... you people know what RESPECT IS ? ... i dont really know, because i cant see it in internet ... It tells me, that the world gets more and more a bad place ... the people are envious today. They hate everybody. People who have more than others ... and people, who do things, they cant do. Let the PEOPLE LIFE ! look at YOUR OWN LIFES ! ... what all you people did yourself ? are you people better than him ? ... are you really better than him ? in your own actions ? moral ?, life ?, in creating things ? if you really better than him, only THAN you are allowed to judge him. I wanted to say all of that a long time ago and now i did it. Thank you CLEVE BLAKEMORE for your GREAT WORK. I love your game and your creation is something special and for me personal it is the BEST WIZARDRY EVER :)

Atlantean Fossil

Barely Literate
There is no substance in that post whatsoever.

No Substance, right ... I dont think, you understood my post at all. why ? ... Its easy, either you do not want to understand it or you can not understand it ... to explain it to you again. Either you have a firm opinion on this man and therefore do not want to have certain things true or you really are not able to understand it intellectually, because your IQ is not high enough for it. This is the only and true reason why you can not see any substance in my post. I know already now, that your attitude on this post will be again defensive. Cleve has more than right, that many people simply are not able to understand him and his work, because they do not want it and because they can not at first. Many people can only talk and talk and talk nowadays. They talk very much and too much about other people. They are not, however, aware of all the criticism that they themselves have done nothing, and therefore do not realize that they make themselves a monkey. This is the attitude of very many people at our present time. They are aggressive, they criticize other people and even they are no better. and the best thing is that they do not recognize themselves, their attitude and their actions are wrong. It also has a lot to do with education that people now behave as they behave. People are nowadays lacking in intelligence and, above all, in empathy. I find this whole attack against cleve blakemore just plain stupid and sad. The people behave like a mob full of envious, psychologically ill and desperate people who have nothing better to do in their lives. It is more than nice that cleve blakemore has shown to all these people that they all just talk and which is just no substance behind it ........ RIGHT ! ....... A lack of substance ... and you notice this lack of yourselves the least ... SAD ... MORE THAN SAD ...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love Grimoire. That game is exactly what i missed all this years. It is the real successor of wizardry 7. Cleve worked very hard on it, in his free time after work and in a life with a family around him, his wife and his son. Many of the people dont have a clue, what it means, to have a family and full-time-job. They dont know, what it means and beside of that life he did that huge project ... and he did that ALONE. He dont works with a big team of developers beside and in the back of him. Grimoire is far more complex as all the other games and more complex as wizardry ever was. Cleve Blakemore did a awesome job with grimoire and his work is REAL-OLD-SCHOOL. Many developers nowadays say that they are old school, and that they create old-school-games, but it is not real. It is more apparent. you can feel, see, hear and experience, that GRIMOIRE IS REAL OLD-SCHOOL. Everybody of the old golden era knows what i mean. all the kidies nowadays dont really know and understand, what OLD-SCHOOL really is ... Many hate Cleve Blakemore and they attacked him in the last 2 decades, but i dont think, that he deserved that. He had a hard time with sirtech and the wannabe creators DIRECTSOFT in australia ... He HAD and HAS a FIRE in himself. Back in 1994 he wanted to create something special, something he likes himself too and he wanted to be a part of it, but the people around him doesnt "allowed" that ... because they were unable. The project "stones of arnhem" failed. He worked hard for it, ALONE ... and in the end he got nothing BACK and sirtech gave him the feeling, that HE is the guilty one ... but he came to rescue the project on a time, the project was almost dead. And after all that drama he wanted to create something special AGAIN and he was ALONE AGAIN ... but what you have to understand is, THAT HE DID IT NOW ! ... it was a long time yes, but he created something special. 23 years of coding ... thats really hard and many dont understand that. With a family in the back and a full time job beside ... you people know what RESPECT IS ? ... i dont really know, because i cant see it in internet ... It tells me, that the world gets more and more a bad place ... the people are envious today. They hate everybody. People who have more than others ... and people, who do things, they cant do. Let the PEOPLE LIFE ! look at YOUR OWN LIFES ! ... what all you people did yourself ? are you people better than him ? ... are you really better than him ? in your own actions ? moral ?, life ?, in creating things ? if you really better than him, only THAN you are allowed to judge him. I wanted to say all of that a long time ago and now i did it. Thank you CLEVE BLAKEMORE for your GREAT WORK. I love your game and your creation is something special and for me personal it is the BEST WIZARDRY EVER :)
Use the fucking Enter key FFS!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Germans...gonna german.

Zep--
Oi come on, mate. we're not all like this writing without ANY USE of the enter keys because in SCHOOLS we have to read retarded shit like Thomas Mann, filling entire pages with a mind-boggingly BORING description... of a BLUE curtain... WHY is it blue? Nobody knows! But you can sure as hell spend ETERNITY IN A CLASS analyzing it to give your teacher a RAGING BONER from all the pseudo-intellectual crap spewing out of your... mouth. So if then one of us goes into an unintelligeble RANT in favor of the ETERNAL neanderthal... CLEVE BLAKEMORE to give glory where glory is DUE... you cannot really be mad at them... have some understanding. AFTER ALL you had to be in school too, for a while at least...

FFS, I cannot even continue because it drives me mad :lol:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Use the fucking Enter key FFS!

His superior intellect forbids him doing that.

Trashos

Arcane
Germans...gonna german.

Zep--
Oi come on, mate. we're not all like this writing without ANY USE of the enter keys because in SCHOOLS we have to read retarded shit like Thomas Mann, filling entire pages with a mind-boggingly BORING description... of a BLUE curtain... WHY is it blue? Nobody knows! But you can sure as hell spend ETERNITY IN A CLASS analyzing it to give your teacher a RAGING BONER from all the pseudo-intellectual crap spewing out of your... mouth. So if then one of us goes into an unintelligeble RANT in favor of the ETERNAL neanderthal... CLEVE BLAKEMORE to give glory where glory is DUE... you cannot really be mad at them... have some understanding. AFTER ALL you had to be in school too, for a while at least...

FFS, I cannot even continue because it drives me mad :lol:

Get your sticking paws off Thomas Mann, you damn dirty apes!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom