Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

Is Divinity: Original Sin the best cRPG from the "new wave"?

• Total voters

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
When I say new wave I'm refering to all the cRPGs financed through kickstarter that we've received in the last years (Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, PoE...). The little I played was enough to seeit has the best combat system I have experienced in the genre. I can't talk about writing quality since I only played it about 15 hours or so. Was a far better experience than Wasteland 2, which I found a bit underwhelming.

What are your thoughts?

Quillon

Arcane
Is DOS2 the best rpg that stood the test of time? I mean its some hours old but it still looks and plays like a game released a few seconds ago. Gratz Larian!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Honestly, yeah, probably. I mean, I did enjoy PoE, but ultimately, I can say that I'm more excited for D:OS2 than PoE2, so at least emotionally, my immediate answer has to be yes, and I can't really think of any that really compare.

At least if we're assuming crowdfunded new-age stuff.

gaussgunner

Arcane
DivOS1 may not be the best new wave RPG but it's genuinely the one which is the most fun to play, Swen and his team seem to simply understand what makes games fun and consistently deliver this fun factor without any unnecessary autism and/or agenda-pushing

I have to agree, but that's not saying much. It has good mechanics, loads pretty fast, doesn't crash. But the setting, characters and plot don't hold me. Had more fun with old-wave RPGs I've played lately. VtMB, Deus Ex, JA2, even Avadon with all its faults.

DOS2 might be a little better than DOS1 but I think I've seen suffered enough of this wave.

PrettyDeadman

Divine Divinity is still a better game in terms of quests and locations design.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How do we reconcile these poll results with the fact that combat-uber-alles people are a minority on the Codex? The addition of graphics whores and world-sim aficionados perhaps?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Best combat: D:OS 1
Best Storyfagness: Shadowrun games
Best character system: POE 3.0
Best Choice and Consequence: AoD
Best game made by 1 man: Underrail

Depend what kind of fag you are, the modern new wave games have all in common a certain characteristic, they all excel on one thing (except InXile garbage) and are pretty much crap to mediocre on the rest.

Rev

Arcane
It's definetely one of the best rpgs of the last years, especially if we only consider the crowdfunded ones, but I voted no because I preferred PoE, especially in its 3.0 version and with TWM.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Depend what kind of fag you are, the modern new wave games have all in common a certain characteristic, they all excel on one thing (except InXile garbage) and are pretty much crap to mediocre on the rest.

I just want all-around good games, is that too much to ask?

They don't have to do everything, just do a few things well.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane

I just want all-around good games, is that too much to ask?

They don't have to do everything, just do a few things well.
I would say Dragonfall exells at everything it attempts, it just has a rather narrow focus that leaves certain traditional RPG aspects behind (e.g. loot/inventory management). Grimrock 2 is another such tightly focused game, that does few things well and just cuts all other things out. DOS on the other hand is terribly ambitious, so it's inevitable that some of its aspects turned out to be shit. I wouldn't say it makes it a better or worse game than those two though.

jaydee2k

Savant
Of course not. What are you nigger smoking?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom