Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity console port by Paradox Arctic

Quillon

Arcane
Most reviews credit & praise Obs for the port :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/119607-pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition-reviews.html

IGN gives it an 8.5/10:

The outstanding classic-style RPG Pillars of Eternity makes a surprisingly virtuosic transition to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 with the Complete Edition, bringing both systems all of the content that's been released on the PC version so far. For an RPG of its complexity, it’s surprising how pleasingly intuitive its gamepad control scheme is, and its easily legible text makes it feel just as good to play from the couch as from a desk. It's a memorable experience that suffers from only a few technical hiccups, most significantly its long and frequent loading times.

Niche Gamer gives it a 10/10:

The game is a solid home run when it comes to story, style, and substance. If you have been putting off picking this title up, now is the time. I could not think of a better way of spending 200 hours of my gaming time, and after you play Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, nether will you.

ZTGD gives it an 8.5/10:

The Xbox One version seemed to perform decent enough, though there are times when smoke effects or other graphical elements kick into play that causes some system performance issues. Luckily, with the type of game this is, it was never a huge hindrance. Pillars of Eternity is a great RPG experience by Obsidian, and my time with the port was a very good experience. The excellent music and voice acting, the wonderful writing, and the multitude of ways quests can play out just add up to Pillars being a wonderful RPG to add to the collection. PC players have known this for a while, but console owners can now experience this for themselves. Now if everyone will excuse me, I still have plenty more adventures to partake in the world of Eora.

WCCF Tech gives it a 9.0/10:

With Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, Paradox Arctic managed to do make a computer RPG playable on consoles with little frustration, thanks to the cleverly redesigned UI and controls. For the rest, Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is just as great as it is on PC, with excellent writing, world-building and characters, an involving and challenging battle system, and true roleplaying.

PlayStation LifeStyle gives it an 8.0/10:

Pillars of Eternity was certainly crafted with PC in mind, but it’s no less an enjoyable experience on console. I admit I came in with a bit of a bias having played it on PC first, and I had those expectations coming in, fair or not. Yes, I missed a mouse and keyboard with item management and combat, but as a whole, I’m incredibly impressed with how Obsidian has managed to translate this hardcore cRPG to console. More than anything, I’m thrilled that console gamers now have the opportunity to romp through Eora. It’s an adventure no RPG-fan should miss.

COG Connected gives it a 90/100:

If you’re a fan of classic RPGs or didn’t have a PC to play Pillars of Eternity when it originally released, pick this up. Pillars is hands down one of the best RPGs I’ve played within the past few years, and the amount of gameplay you can walk through is staggering.

DualShockers gives it an 8.5/10:

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is without a doubt a brilliant game that nearly singlehandedly revived a genre that has been replaced in the hearts of many by World of Warcraft, The Witcher, or The Elder Scrolls series. And while those series (and their respective genres) are amazing in their own right, Obsidian’s re-imagining of the poorly-aged genre is a must play for any fan of similar games and a great jumping off point for those interested in dabbling in something more complex.

Metro gives it an 8/10:

But while Pillars Of Eternity does nothing to build the future of modern day role-playing it is an almost perfect homage to its past. We’re not sure what happens next, but if nothing else Pillars Of Eternity proves that neither rose-tinted spectacles nor a PC are required to appreciate these older role-players, and that there’s plenty of life left in the old CRPG yet.

Push Square gives it a 9/10:

Pillars of Eternity is a wonderful role-playing game, expertly weaving deep, tactical combat and captivating writing - a combination that will appeal to unabashedly old school gamers, but will also yield abundant rewards for players new to the genre. What Obsidian has crafted here, ostensibly as a love letter to the isometric computer role-playing games of the late '90s, is not merely an exercise in tickling the nostalgia itch of those pining for another Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate, but a contemporary to those classics, and one that will surely be held in as high regard in the years to come.

RPGSite gives it a 9/10:

Pillars of Eternity is worth looking into for any RPG fan. The game has a great plot and world to explore, and Obsidian has given players enough options to ensure that anyone can see the end of the story, regardless of skill level. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, and if you’re on a higher difficulty it’s not afraid to tear your party to pieces, but if you didn’t pick this up on Steam due to being a console gamer, you don’t have an excuse now.

Everybody Plays gives it a 4/5:

Beyond the occasional issues with the writing, though, Pillars of Eternity is still an accomplished role playing game that's sure to scratch the itch of anyone looking for a good, story driven fantasy adventure. With the visuals alone sure to trigger huge nostalgia for retro role playing game fans (not to mention the free Miniature Giant Space Pig pet you get for signing up for a Paradox account), and a story that'll suck newcomers in and keep them hooked for the ride, this is a game that'll keep you going until Christmas rolls round, and is well worth a look.

PSU gives it a 9.0/10:

As someone who lost far too much time and productivity to the Baldur’s Gate series on PC all those years ago, Pillars of Eternity feels like a resurrection of that bygone golden era, and for those of you who never experienced that first time round, you are absolutely, positively, in for a treat. Traditional RPG’s don’t come much better, or ambitious, than Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition.

Hardcore Gamer gives it a 4.5/5:

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is a proper send off before Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is released next year. Simply the PC game and its expansions released for console in their original form — with the only changes being ones that make it playable on console — those already familiar with Eora don’t need to revisit on console, but any RPG fan who prefers console to PC gaming owes it to themselves to check this one out. This is a perfect example of an old school RPG done in a way to feel contemporary that still maintains an element of tabletop feel to it. Narrative and dialog are major components of the experience and the story told here is developed enough to justify there being such a heavy emphasis on it.

Nerd Stash gives it a 4/5:

If what you’re looking for is a fresh take on the classic Baldur’s Gate-style isometric RPG, you will adore this game. If you’re used to more fast-paced RPGs, you might get frustrated with Pillars of Eternity. This game exists to scratch a very specific itch and is unapologetic to those who don’t know what they’re getting into. For fans of the genre, Pillars is a rewarding fantasy epic.

God is a Geek gives it an 8.0/10:

PoE was a massive undertaking in the first place, and the console port is still a great tactical RPG despite its niggles. Tons of depth and replay value more than make up for a smattering of shortcomings, and those craving more old school RPG goodness will find loads to keep them happy.

The Sixth Axis gives it an 8/10:

Ultimately, Pillars of Eternity is a stellar entry into its genre, but one that won’t win over people who are not already fans. It is huge and richly detailed, with more history than some actual periods of real life, and a rare amount of care and attention. It’s probably a better experience on a PC, but it’s still definitely worth playing on console if it’s your only option.

And Xbox Achievements gives it a 79/100:

An old skool RPG if ever there was one, Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition should be on your shopping list if you’re a strategy and RPG junkie. It’s as close as we’re going to get to a new Baldur’s Gate, and while it has its quirks and suffers from agonising load times on consoles, it’s still a joy to play.

Sentinel

Arcane
and then develop tranny 2 as a console rpg
their lower standards will probably translate to more sales

Rev

Arcane
Sales are not bad, actually.
They're not good either. It probably made a small profit, if only because it was a cheap project made on the PoE tech, but both Obsidian and Paradox expected the game to perform better.
I don't think it's very likely that we will see any more of Tyranny after the DLC released some days ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If PoE is anything like D:OS and Wasteland 2, the console sales are a fraction of the PC sales, meaning it would not be a good idea to make one for Tyranny based on past results.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so what's the codex verdict on the ps4 version of PoE? genuinely curious (although i do not own a ps4).

Rev

Arcane
Yeah, it would be really smart to make a Switch porting, after all PoE on consoles sold so well it's already been discounted to 10 euros, just three months after its initial release (starting price was 50 €). Switch version is going to do wonders, there's really a huge interest in these kind of game among console peasants.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean if they could do the port with fractions of the cost then why the hell not

This kind of game will never be big in console

Ironically, the platform which suits RTWP the best after PC is.. mobile phone. But the market in mobile phones will not be playing this kind of games anyway

Zer0wing

Cipher
But the market in mobile phones will not be playing this kind of games anyway
Mobile market is already filled with Infinity Engine games' remasters (IWD2 can be emulated, it's not like Beamdog has monopoly on IE or something), stahp with the ports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom