Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Arkeus

Arcane
Then why not just make PART of the interactables highlightable? not having a key at all is fucking stupid and feels extremely shitty. You easily miss stuff. jut basic stuff, because u have to be hovering around like a madman with your mouse to find shit instead of just playing the game.

They could make secrets and other stuff not highlightable, and make shit like common doors, crates, bodies highlightable..

0/10 larian. really.
Because this teaches people to look for things. So unlike "it shows 99% of things except that one hidden OP Sword" it instead is "You have to consistently look for things".

Krzysiek

Learned
Larian way of doing hard ("tactician") mode: +50% to Vitality, Physical defense, Magic Defense, and all damage but leave brainless AI as it was. That AI 2.0 was only PR bullshit. Oh I'm sorry, AI is very smart, my undead can walk wearing a full set of armor through a town unnoticed but when I start combat enemies will immediately know that I'm undead and start to heal me.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I haven't seen this mentioned, but is there a reason some presets have more attributes than others? I don't see a trade-off.

For example, the "Rogue" preset starts with 3 Attributes (+2 Finesse, +1 Constitution), while the "Shadowblade" preset starts with 4 Attributes (+2 Finesse, +2 Wits).

Since you can easily rearrange points as you see fit, there appears to be no downside. So if you want to play a Rogue, you start with a Shadowblade and then just change the +2 Wits into, say, +2 Constitution (or make it +3 Finesse), and then just change the Abilities and Skills around.

Also, I think it's... odd that the Rogue preset starts without Thievery (but gets Sneaking), whereas the Shadowblade starts with Thievery (but not Sneaking). When push comes to shove, shouldn't it be the other way around? Shadowblade is described not as a thief, but an arcane rogue assassin, whereas the rogue is described more as a traditional rogue/thief. Just a minor oddity that I noticed - the Attribute discrepancy is more of a legitimate (albeit possibly small) issue.

Edit: Apparently, only the Metamorph and the Shadowblade gets 4 Attributes.

Edit 2: Also, why the fuck does everyone start with a single point in Bartering? Why not just make that rank 0, then?

Edit 3: Nevermind, I figured out the reason Metamorphs and Shadowblades have extra attributes. It's because Polymorph gives Attribute points. Herp derp.

Edit 4: And apparently the +1 Barter is for human. Oops.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is barter any useful as a skill BTW? My impression is that I'll always have much more money than I need due to the strategy of picking up and selling anything of value I find in the world.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Barter is useless in %90 of RPGs because we mostly swim in money at later stages. I'm pretty confident that it'll be useless in this one too. (maybe other then some skillchecks)

Edit: I'm having a blast with the game but my usual dwarven sword&board warrior felt boring while my summoner and necromancer wrecking havoc. Thinking to restart with Beast as a thief.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Found a game-breaking bug.
When you press the instruments multiple times in character creation, all of them alternate between two different tunes/melodies except the tambura. It only plays the same initial melody over and over.

Nv1Ly43.png

Literally unplayable. Subscription cancelled!
Is barter any useful as a skill BTW? My impression is that I'll always have much more money than I need due to the strategy of picking up and selling anything of value I find in the world.
I honestly have no idea, but as was said, Barter is usually completely useless for it's stated purpose, and I doubt that this will be any different. However, it is possible for it to be relevant in dialogues. Not sure if it is, but that's usually the only use for negotiation/barter skills in vidya. That or if you want to roleplay a happy merchant, I guess.

Cnaiur

Augur
Man, these crocodiles at the beach are a royal pain in the ass in tactician mode. So far playing with Beast, Fane (as caster), Sebille (Rogue) and a custom Ranger as avatar. Ranger and Rogue at low levels are...a challenge though.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Man, these crocodiles at the beach are a royal pain in the ass in tactician mode. So far playing with Beast, Fane (as caster), Sebille (Rogue) and a custom Ranger as avatar. Ranger and Rogue at low levels are...a challenge though.
Question: I know you can customize the NPC:s if you start as one of them, but how does that work when you're running a custom? Do they default to set presets? That's what I've been assuming. Character creation gives no indication of what their presets are actually supposed to be, but if I considered playing one, I would actually want to play them to type, so it's a bit odd.

mibbles

codex grandma
Patron
Played 5 hours in co-op with Orma Merkwürdigliebe evdk

I haven't had this much fun playing a game in years. Enter combat, promptly get rekt, reload, and wham bam thank-you ma'am.

Those fucking crocs were hilarious to fight against, Cnaiur . We though they'd be just your average beasts at first... :lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you somehow make 4 custom characters? Also, is it still pointless to go Sword and Board?

Cromwell

Arcane
Question: I know you can customize the NPC:s if you start as one of them, but how does that work when you're running a custom? Do they default to set presets? That's what I've been assuming. Character creation gives no indication of what their presets are actually supposed to be, but if I considered playing one, I would actually want to play them to type, so it's a bit odd.

Dont know if I got correctly what you want to know but If you build your own char and then meet a origins character (red prince was my first) they ask you how you want them to perform, for example the prince told me he could be a fighter or use magic and so on and I could decide what he gets to use.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some impressions from a few hours playing the game yesterday...

Pros:

• Silky smooth performance with everything maxed, on a budget pc from a few years ago;
  • Stable, no crashes, no apparent bugs;
  • Music is a big improvement from the first game;
  • World building and map design are also more intricate, with more detail;
  • TB combat is fun, why do people even ask for RTWP?
  • Every character has something unique to say, even random animals, Larian put a lot of writing work in.

Cons

• TB is still slow, big fights take forever, i figure this will become unbearable as the game progresses;
  • Writing is the same Larian shit, but there isnt even a murder mystery to start the game off this time around, crazy witches with retarded dialogue and voice acting dont make for good villains;
  • Speaking of writing, how the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have the worlds least interesting narrator constantly opening his mouth?;
  • Can't stress this enough, the third person writing style for the character dialogue choices is extremely off putting, why Larian? why?
  • The voice acting is very whimsical, and jars a lot with what the characters are actually saying;
  • Loot... fuck this random generic loot generator. There are a few custom items on the ground in the first map, but most of the stuff you find in chests seems to be just random like in the first game;
  • AI, use fire in front of enemies, they wont go around it or avoid it, just run through it and get butchered;
  • You will be holding the left alt key during most of the game, making for some weird finger gymnastics... else you will miss out on all the shit Larian has laying around but is impossible to notice otherwise.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You can talk with "origined" characters and change their "classes" when you are recuiting them. Only at first conversation though dunno if we change it after.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is it still pointless to go Sword and Board?

My Red Prince is single handed/shield and he absolutely fares better in a melee combat than my battlemage Beast. That extra protection (plus you can recharge it for free) seems very useful. I'm pretty sure tho that even two-handed fighters get some sort of stone skin or some such, otherwise it'd be rough.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I honestly have no idea, but as was said, Barter is usually completely useless for it's stated purpose, and I doubt that this will be any different. However, it is possible for it to be relevant in dialogues. Not sure if it is, but that's usually the only use for negotiation/barter skills in vidya. That or if you want to roleplay a happy merchant, I guess.
I figured the same things. As The Red Prince I got one point in Barter by default, which surprised me. I removed it and assigned it as a second point in Persuasion. The Barter description indeed states that the skill is only used in trade, but who knows, it may be wrong... though they do have Persuasion as a separate skill.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I think you should wait with the pros list, with bugs as well, until after Act 1, Cyseal was also good (on the first playthrough). You can turn off the narrator.

The reason I'm asking for S&B is because in D:OS1 it was always more advantageous to go for MOAR DAMAGE, so S&B was out of the running before the race even started.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, after investingating the skills some more I'm thinking I'll probably re-roll and try to make a Dark Knight style character work. Seems that Warfare + Necromancy could actually be pretty fun with a 2-hander or even a Shield. Leech, Blood Sucker, Raining Blood, Shackles of Pain etc.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Pros:

• Silky smooth performance with everything maxed, on a budget pc from a few years ago;
  • Stable, no crashes, no apparent bugs;
  • Music is a big improvement from the first game;
  • World building and map design are also more intricate, with more detail;
  • TB combat is fun, why do people even ask for RTWP?
  • Every character has something unique to say, even random animals, Larian put a lot of writing work in.

Cons

• TB is still slow, big fights take forever, i figure this will become unbearable as the game progresses;
  • Writing is the same Larian shit, but there isnt even a murder mystery to start the game off this time around, crazy witches with retarded dialogue and voice acting dont make for good villains;
  • Speaking of writing, how the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have the worlds least interesting narrator constantly opening his mouth?;
  • Can't stress this enough, the third person writing style for the character dialogue choices is extremely off putting, why Larian? why?
  • The voice acting is very whimsical, and jars a lot with what the characters are actually saying;
  • Loot... fuck this random generic loot generator. There are a few custom items on the ground in the first map, but most of the stuff you find in chests seems to be just random like in the first game;
  • AI, use fire in front of enemies, they wont go around it or avoid it, just run through it and get butchered;
  • You will be holding the left alt key during most of the game, making for some weird finger gymnastics... else you will miss out on all the shit Larian has laying around but is impossible to notice otherwise.

Sounds like a 5/10 review to me, breh. Can't say I blame ya.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom