Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Released

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't see what the problem is. If Roguey is on the moon, all we have to do is translate the game into pure binary code and transmit it through the radio signal, the way old games on casette tapes worked. With 20 GB of data it should only take around 40000 years.

Zeriel

Arcane
All that money is spent in the game.

If it sells poorly, they are fucked.

That's the life when you don't have constant cashflow. Divinity: the Micro Transaction MMO when?

On the converse, if you get massive cashflow from stuff that has nothing to do with making good games, then you have no incentive to make good games.

It was for this reason that way back in 2004-2005 when Blizzard released WoW and it started making up most of their cashflow I predicted we wouldn't see a new, actual Warcraft game until WoW went down in flames. Lo and behold, it's only now that WoW's subscriber numbers have fallen so far that they won't even report them anymore that they are talking about a new Warcraft RTS.

Gangbusters success is only a good thing if the guy running your business is also a gamer who just wants to make games. That's what makes Larian unique. Take Swen away and I imagine Larian would look a lot more like Obsidian.

(And yeah, this is all an elaborate way of saying fuck Feargus in his incompetent, MBA-loving boipussy.)

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The powercut in Ghent is something for conspiracy theorists!

KVh8eW5.jpg

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Will be buying this from GOG the moment I can confirm the lack of or ability to disable quest markers. Larian deserves it, Swen is one of the very few men that support what video games should be.
edit: Help support Larian making Swen's "ultimate rpg" by giving me an honest answer.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Seems to mostly work well in Wine. It took a bit of head-scratching to get it to launch because the .NET installer was failing, but apparently that is only required by the launcher and running the executable directly from the command line bypasses all that .NET nonsense. Graphics look good and smooth even on my Radeon RX460 using the open source drivers. Some shading appears black so the models have odd black highlights - I'll probably need to fiddle with the graphics settings but it looks alright, just a bit strange. Books also appear black, which could be a problem if I have to read them as part of the story. Otherwise, perfectly playable but I'll probably wait a while for patches before committing to a full playthrough.

I do like the narrative style conversation - I was a bit worried when Swen demonstrated it but it really works well. I can't put my finger on why I like it so much - it just seems to feel more natural in the context of playing a character. Plus the interjections from the narrator wouldn't have worked so well if there wasn't a layer of abstraction built in.

Downsides: Voice acting is TERRIBLE! Hilariously so. Yes I could turn them off but what a waste of money and storage space. Actually it's so emotively over-the-top and the accents are so Mary Poppins-like that it sort of fits with the overall pantomime style humour and exaggerated animations. If the game does prove to have a dark and serious story and writing then it's going to clash horribly with the day-glo brightness of the rest of the game.

Anyway, I think I could enjoy this.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't wait for the custom party creation mod.
You can create a custom party in-game - make a custom character at the beginning and then recruit self-made mercenaries in the guild (when you reach it - it is not available right away).

Will be buying this from GOG the moment I can confirm the lack of or ability to disable quest markers. Larian deserves it, Swen is one of the very few men that support what video games should be.
edit: Help support Larian making Swen's "ultimate rpg" by giving me an honest answer.
What quest markers?

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think there are only general map markers in this game, not per-quest markers, not game screen markers, not over-NPC markers, quest compass or other bullshit. I didn't played it yet, but it was so in the first game, and in Sven videos too.

Lindire

Novice
Well hot damn, time sure does fly by, if I backed this through the fundraiser, do I redeem at the Larian Vault thing?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Downsides: Voice acting is TERRIBLE! Hilariously so. Yes I could turn them off but what a waste of money and storage space. Actually it's so emotively over-the-top and the accents are so Mary Poppins-like that it sort of fits with the overall pantomime style humour and exaggerated animations.
Why? WHY??? I SO hoped they'd improve that from D:OS.
I can't play shit with a retadred "LOL I'M FUNNY" tone for more than 2 hours.
So fuck it, won't buy.

Quantomas

Savant
Downsides: Voice acting is TERRIBLE! Hilariously so. Yes I could turn them off but what a waste of money and storage space. Actually it's so emotively over-the-top and the accents are so Mary Poppins-like that it sort of fits with the overall pantomime style humour and exaggerated animations. If the game does prove to have a dark and serious story and writing then it's going to clash horribly with the day-glo brightness of the rest of the game.
Not everyone appears to think this way:

I'll discuss story in more detail in the final review, but so far the writing has been excellent, richly descriptive and capable of juggling serious storytelling alongside wit and whimsy, with undead dialogue options and conversations with animals being two particular highlights. Original Sin 2 is also fully-voiced, again to a high calibre. Even the narrator is fully-voiced, and fantastically so too, heightening the game's fairytale quality in a way that I didn't know it needed, but now I couldn't live without.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...up-to-be-every-bit-as-good-as-its-predecessor

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
So fuck it, won't buy.

I think you can turn it off. Having played it a bit more the rest of the game seems to be good - certainly a step up from the plastic wackiness of the first game. Go on, Joni, buy the game. :hug:

Edit: It's not technically bad - it's just that the voice director appears to have been on amphetamines.

Last edited:

Quantomas

Savant
Some additional authentic background about the voice acting: Lohse's Origins

Appears Larian did know exactly what they wanted to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom