Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin 2 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Over three years ago, Larian Studios released Divinity: Original Sin. With an appealing presentation, intuitive mechanics and unique multiplayer capabilities, it found a large audience for turn-based RPGs that nobody knew existed, and turned the semi-unknown Belgian studio into the undisputed kings of the genre overnight. For a while afterwards there was some mystery surrounding the question of what their next game would be, but in late 2015 it was confirmed that Larian were going to go right on to Divinity: Original Sin 2. A bigger and better sequel, like what Baldur's Gate 2 was to Baldur's Gate.

Over the years, many visitors to this forum have wondered - why can't the big publishers of the gaming industry, the ones who originally built their fortunes on games like these, funnel some of their profits into making a really big traditional RPG? Just once, just to give something back. We called those people naive, we said it could never happen. Well friends, as far as I can tell, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is that game. Or the closest we're going to get to it. With a development team of some 130 people, which is more than smaller AAA games like Fallout: New Vegas, it's likely the most expensive turn-based western RPG ever produced. I can't overstate how good it would be for the genre if this game succeeds - and by all appearances, it deserves to succeed.

There's no release trailer for Original Sin 2, but Larian published one last Kickstarter update a couple of hours before it was released. Here's the accompanying video:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is available now on Steam and GOG for $45. There are no reviews yet - Larian sent out review keys only a couple of days ago. Also, due to last minute issues, the Russian, German and French translations will only be released in a patch a week from now. But if that doesn't bother you, buy it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruzen

Savant
You gotto lov this picture:love:
1daedf5583fb0d65d02038c21717e0f6522c5676.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I like that hoodie, shame they wanted 200 ebro for it. Also that it has to say Divos2 on the shoulders instead of just having a neat design.

Quantomas

Savant
Over the years, many visitors to this forum have wondered - why can't the big publishers of the gaming industry, the ones who originally built their fortunes on games like these, funnel some of their profits into making a really big traditional RPG? Just once, just to give something back. We called them naive, we said it could never happen. Well friends, as far as I can tell, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is that game. Or the closest we're going to get to it. With a development team of some 130 people, more than smaller AAA games like Fallout: New Vegas, it's likely the most expensive turn-based western RPG ever produced. I can't overstate how good it would be for the genre if this game succeeds - and by all appearances, it deserves to succeed.

Here you have it. Larian shows what needed doing. It's a myth that Obsidian needed a publisher to go big. They only needed a different mindset.

You gotto lov this picture:love:
They were doing a La ola from the top of the stairs with the entire team!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here you have it. Larian shows what needed doing. It's a myth that Obsidian needed a publisher to go big. They only needed a different mindset.

I admire Larian for what they're doing but tbh I wouldn't feel secure if everybody was taking the risks they do. It's better if we have a wide variety of oldschool RPG "sizes" and see what works over the long run.

Quantomas

Savant

I admire Larian for what they're doing but tbh I wouldn't feel secure if everybody was taking the risks they do. It's better if we have a wide variety of oldschool RPG "sizes" and see what works over the long run.
I don't think they were taking that big a risk, as they had built a sizeable reserve from the sales of the first D:OS.

Edit: Not to forget they had a couple hundred thousand units shifted on early access. They used that to scale up the development.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
All that money is spent in the game.

If it sells poorly, they are fucked.

That's the life when you don't have constant cashflow. Divinity: the Micro Transaction MMO when?

Quantomas

Savant
Exactly *what* is the conspiracy at topic ? That somebody conspired to delay a videogame ? Whup-dee-doo.

Seriously, I swear that Vincke has been wearing that same t-shirt and that same hoodie for at least a month now.
The big conspiracies shift things by margins. You don't understand Google if you do not know that. Or Goldman Sachs.

Well, it is the D:OS2 Kickstarter t-shirt and hoodie. It's quite adequate, don't you think?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Got message that my hoodie is being shipped. Yay me.
Will try to stay away from the game until the Completely Ultimately Definately Superior Enhanced Directors Extended Cut "I can't believe it's not DLC" Edition version is released though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
20 gig download means that unless they bite the bullet and release a disc version down the line it's going to take me close to half a year to download this once they finally stop updating it. :cool:

(We've been through this before, no I have no alternatives)

SniperHF

Arcane
I can't wait for the custom party creation mod.

You can probably still do it via workaround by opening 4 instances of the game and starting an MP session. Saving, then loading it up on a single session.

Modding this to be more seamless in-game would actually be quite difficult, the character creation scripting is complicated as fuck.

Tao

Savant
Before i start playing, Can you go with a normal living race and become undead? O is the undead only selectable as a "race" at the begining?

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Do you live on the moon? I could see shipping costs being prohibitive in that case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom