Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Graphics are fine wtf

It's fine, and has been fine since at least Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga: Eco Draconis: The special Developer's Cut Edition or whatever, but it hasn't improved in like 7 years.

Not surprising for a console game, really :smug:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
is there a PDF version of the lore book that comes with the collector's edition?

BilboBaggins

Educated
Is the 1st Divinity any good? I wanted to get it last year, but then I saw a lot of people shitting on it at the Codex. But now everyone seems to be clamoring for this one. Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's alright, not good, just ok. The random items rear their ugly heads for the first time, however, and the second half of the game is quite unfinished.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I got the Key to the Stern Room on the ship. How do I use this fucking thing? I though you just click on the door and if you have the key it automatically unlocks? Well the doors to the captain's cabin remain locked no matter what.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disjointed thoughts before I divbe back in.

I'm happy like a little kid. I won't deny it, I love DOS2 of what I have played. I don't know if people feel the first game was overrated or not, but it was one of my favorite games in many years, despite poor writing. DOS2 is injecting even more incline into my veins.

It's a bit early, yes, but I have spent 3 hours with the game. It's less goofy. Combat is more of the same, so far. You don't really get a lot of skills and such to play around with enough to notice changes. Verticality will play a bigger role, from the environments I have seen. I love it. I don't mind the graphical style change. I chose to play as the Red Prince. I thought of going with a custom character or an undead, but Red Prince sounded interesting enough.
Going with his standard build from the get go. I will probably mix it up a bit as I move on further in the story. Got a companion, and if you choose to use him in dailog, you can get other options. As the Red Prince, I get Lizard, Scholar and Noble options. My companion got an Outlaw option.

Voice acting is average to good. I do think they use the same voice actors for several characters, though. A bit of a shame, but probably unavoidable. The writing is decent. I read complaints about how the PC dialog is handled, but it doesn't really bother me. It's not my favorite way, but it doesn't really ruin anything for me. Less jokes and a more serious tone.

Combat is so far identical, but I'll give them one thing, the UI is much better than the first game.

Going to dive right back in, sorry for crap impressions. Short version: I'm having a good time.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
37.000 concurrent players only on steam, the hype was real, DOS1 only got 7.000.

SNNWjmO.png

Really happy for larian and our future as rpg gamers.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I got the Key to the Stern Room on the ship. How do I use this fucking thing? I though you just click on the door and if you have the key it automatically unlocks? Well the doors to the captain's cabin remain locked no matter what.
They don't go to the captain's cabin.

SniperHF

Arcane
The worst part about bad voice acting is that it's actually a lot worse than no voice acting at all, especially since fully-voice-acted shit already curtails and limits artistic freedom in terms of writing and changing narratives.

This is generally true but given how late they went all in on full voice acting I'm not sure how much it would have affected D:OS 2.

37.000 concurrent players, the hype was real, DOS1 only got 7.000.

SNNWjmO.png

Really happy for larian and our future as rpg gamers.

D:OS classic peaked at ~22K. So certainly more but the EE wasn't as big a hit since a lot of people had already played classic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Word of advice: Don't fight in the arena right away.
You will go in there like
:positive:
The enemies will be like
:mixedemotions:
You will be like
:negative:
The game will be like
:dealwithit:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I seem to be the only one who likes both the voiced dialogues and the narrator-retold player character dialogue options. And I never really was hyped for this game, or played the previous one any serious amount of time.

Arkeus

Arcane
OK, what the hell.

I think I am missing something because I keep dying to the two worms in the deck (not even the hardest difficulty, the one just below). Am I missing some weapons or armour, or did I just pick a sucky class?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OK, what the hell.

I think I am missing something because I keep dying to the two worms in the deck (not even the hardest difficulty, the one just below). Am I missing some weapons or armour, or did I just pick a sucky class?
With a melee character, I skip my first turn and let them come to me. Then I use my AP on my special abilities (Knight setup) to smash them in 1 turn.

Are the achievements working for you guys? For some reasons, I can't even see them and if I try to click on them it just brings me to my profile page. I'm talking about the Steam version, btw.

Anyhow, I looked the sales chart and in Italy it's not even in the top 10 and #1 is PES 2018... this fucking country, man... :negative:
Nah, that's universal. I think their achievements page address is currently wrong, and then steam redirects you to your profile page.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Looking at the skills in GM mode, you can forget everything you learned from early access. Dipping 1 point into multiple schools is not rewarded. There are a ton of skills that require points in both physical/magical schools but the combinations are weird.

There are so many skills that it's hard to get a read on what a good build would be, but Necromancy looks pretty shit. Almost all scoundrel skills require a dagger for some reason so fuck my spear scoundrel build.

Also, it looks like almost all the teleports: tactical retreat, cloak and dagger, wings, require 2 points in the school. Since those are the best reason to multiclass, again, spreading yourself thin is not a great idea.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played through the intro basically and a bit more on the island. So far loving it.

By the way in case any one is wondering: Controller support and split-screen are working flawlessly. It's impressive how well they implemented these stuff.

* Also it's pretty obvious they put effort in the companions etc. They feel much less like generic followers and actually have character.
For example we disliked the Red Prince instantly but that's the point - he is memorable and you can clearly remember his character

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
OK, what the hell.

What class and stuff do you have?

I used water and air spells in combination to chill and stun them.

I never did play my early access copy of the game. Therefore, I am happy that you can choose the role of your companions. I now have three party members. Me as a mage, an archer and a damage dealing fighter. I will try my hand at the arena once I gain another level. I think the fighter type character will make the arena not so challenging.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
I think you will get a better character by investing mostly into the weapon damage abilities and your primary stat, rather than by putting points into lots of different schools and investing in memory to try and get a wide base of skills.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I'm going with air and water (intelligence) all the way with the mage. I regret making one of my characters an archer. Loved archer in the first game, we'll see how it goes. My fighter will be constitution and strength focused all the way. Not a lot of mixing and maxing for three out of four. The fourth character will be a bit of a jack of all trades.

Jezal_k23

Don't mind NPC VO that much, but even the narrator is voiced. Jesus.

There's not a single moment in the game where you can just read dialogue without a voice repeating everything you're reading. Annoys me for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom