Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
My goal in Star Citizen is to be a weapons trader. I want to get the good guns, tweak them and sell them. My dream is that when I deliver a load of weapons, it will be in a luxury ship like the 600i. When I show up to give you your weapons, I want you to think of me as a successful business man to be taken seriously.

I think there's a big difference between showing up in a Connie Andromeda vs. a 600i. It's not something most people would probably think about consciously, but there's a statement being made and people are going to respond to it in game.

On another note, probably even more important, everyone will probably be doing a lot of business with the AI and the ship you use could very well have a big impact on the AI's opinion of you. I could totally see some in-verse organizations completely ignoring you if you don't show up in the right type of ship. That's a pretty easy thing to program and the AI will be way more common than players. Even pirates would likely respond very differently.

:0-13:

justincz

Scholar
25twcpl.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
My goal in Star Citizen is to be a weapons trader. I want to get the good guns, tweak them and sell them. My dream is that when I deliver a load of weapons, it will be in a luxury ship like the 600i. When I show up to give you your weapons, I want you to think of me as a successful business man to be taken seriously.

I think there's a big difference between showing up in a Connie Andromeda vs. a 600i. It's not something most people would probably think about consciously, but there's a statement being made and people are going to respond to it in game.

On another note, probably even more important, everyone will probably be doing a lot of business with the AI and the ship you use could very well have a big impact on the AI's opinion of you. I could totally see some in-verse organizations completely ignoring you if you don't show up in the right type of ship. That's a pretty easy thing to program and the AI will be way more common than players. Even pirates would likely respond very differently.

:0-13:

You know, I read a lot of these sorts of ideas when WoW was about to be released. It's something people who don't know/understand the limits of the game come up with. That explains who exactly is still spending money on it, gullibile non-gamers who honestly think SC will be the Second Coming of Christ in digital form.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Wanted to show you guys this latest stuff from the SA mega thread, pretty hilarious:

"I am, at this very moment, drinking at the orange international food festival with two sc employees and a couple blizz and activision dudes and we are all fucking shitting on sc and crobbers

he was a laughing stock a year ago, but now he's like some kinda lol god whenever you mention his dumb fucking name

and everyone 100% hates lesnick and thinks he's a weirdo smell guy"

"lol the shit they are talking about everyone there, just holy shit

the company is fucked. get a refund. there's no secret build, just as I thought behavior scripted last year's 3.0 demo and then fucked right off after the checks stopped coming

star citizen is a hodge podge of over 200 different programmers, all with different fucking tasks and goals an comments and engines, it'll never ever be more than the jittery bullshit mess we currently have

also things are tied directly to fucking framerate in the engine, so that's why some people on poor rigs can clip through shit easier than people on 5k dual titan rigs

Jesus I knew they were fucking dumb but this is amazing. amazing"

"like hey, if you don't want people talking shit about you Chris, maybe pay them ot for all the crunch they are working or give them some perks and maybe no treat them like shit you dumb fuck

you moron. you fucking stupid shit

lol"

"and don't go on vacation after a huge fucking fuck up at gamescom and then ignore every email on critical shit because you decided to have the final fucking say on every goddamn piece of art, code and design

enjoy your vacation as the entire company burns down around you, you stupid thumb"

"guy here says "youtubers and machinima artists are now hand sculpting the sq42 prologue"

lol"

"also it's now not the sqlude or prologue or whatever because we talked mad shit about it, it's that sc: first strike or sc: vendetta bullshit now lol"

"a dude

"chris roberts presents a chris roberts game: star citizen: squadron 42: precursor: chapter one: pre-alpha"

lol

a dude dunking on his once and never again king

you idiot chris. you fucking idiot"

"and i guess some more "hard hitting" places are looking for on record quotes from past and current cig employees, but no one can fucking talk to the press without sandis approval and violating that means some kind of lawsuit or legal trouble due to the employment contract

so basically everything is rumor until cig folds in July of 2018"

"Quote: We've been told we still have jobs, but not if we will be getting paid for them."

"internal rumor is that chris is getting rid of the programmers first, as they've been, in his words "underwhelming"

lol"

"I mean we are all drunk here so who knows how much this is all hyperbole or exaggeration but these dudes are super fucking lit about cig

the other guys tried to cut in with "yeah it's bad at company x too" but the cig dudes steamrolled over them with some of the most unbelievable "my company is a teainwreck" stories and we are all just stating at them agape and hehing"

"Breetai posted: What was Crobber's reaction to the Gamescom show and it's reception, if you were told?

theAgent: why did everyone fuck up, why didn't anyone tell me shit was broken, why aren't we further along, why don't the backers pledge more, why don't people understand what we're doing here, why aren't things working properly when the outside contractors had them working fine, why can't we do things better, why can't we hire better programmers, why do we have to keep paying contractors who already dropped out of the project, why do we have to pay actors more, why are we not making more money, why aren't we close to finishing 3.0, why are people afraid to come talk to me about issues, why can't I get a straight fucking answer from you fucking idiots, why are our monthly expenses so high, why aren't outside contractors interested in working with us, why aren't people impressed by FOIP, why can't I go on vacation, oh I fucking can BYE"

"the best is the tales of crobbo wandering around the office and pointing out certain employees as "high risk" or "low performing" while everyone in hunkered down and trying to fucking do this impossible shit he wants

like yay, I really want to fucking work for a miserable fuck who derides every single person that isn't his family or from his fucking origin or hollywood days"

"like at one point you're creating your character for sq42 (which is just the SC character creator basically, no one really knows what is going in what game at this point) and he wanted a scene where you stare at yourself in a mirror as you change shit (like fo4) but instead of just rendering the character model as a separate scene in the mirror with canned head movement he wanted some super crazy shit like mirroring the entire scene as you changed yourself into super "level 5" or whatever heads that slowed the entire scene to a crawl because you were loading some intense shit into vram because the fucking bathroom you were in had multiple mirrors that crobbo all wanted reflected, even if you can't fucking see it

now imagine trying to tell him "hey we don't need mirrors" and he responds with "BUT THERES FUCKING MIRRORS IN THE SHIPS, THERES A MIRROR IN A SCENE I WROTE, I WROTE THAT SCENE AND THERE'S A FUCKING MIRROR MORTY, THERE'S A MIRROR THERE AND I WANT TO SEE, I WANT TO SEE ME IN THAT MIRROR MORTY, I WANT TO SEE MY REFLECTION IN THAT FUCKING MIRROR, I DON'T CARE HOW MANY FUCKING CPU CYCLES IT TAKES UP OR IF A, A, A TITAN X CAN'T EVEN FUCKING RENDER IT, I WANT IT MORTY, I WANT THAT FUCKING MIRROR THERE"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/6xt9nc/new_theagent_stuff/

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I bought this game a couple months ago but stopped after it took a dump on me while I was flying around. Has this been (somewhat) optimized at all yet?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-29-star-citizen-would-be-the-worst-scam-in-the-world

Star Citizen 3.0 update "akin to Early Access" launch
"It would be the worst scam in the world."

jpg

There are two schools of thought on the long, long-in-development Star Citizen. For fans, it is an in-development wonder, a work-in-progress promise of a bright, stellar future. It's a game in which people have already invested significant amounts of money.

But it's that same money that, for others, is a problem. Here is a crowdfunded game - or the foundations of one, at least - which is way behind schedule, which often fails to hit deadlines, and which never seems to quite live up to its promise.

I met up with the Star Citizen figurehead, Chris Roberts, at Gamescom last month for a frank chat on how things were going. Unsurprisingly, he falls in to the first school of thought - and was keen to explain why.

Gamescom saw a huge press conference for the game. Those who were there - or who watched remotely - got to see more details of Star Citizen's hotly-anticipated update 3.0, plus future enhancements such as the game's fancy new face over IP technology. My original plan for this interview was to run it alongside the launch of 3.0, which was expected by many fansto launch last week. But again, Star Citizen's development is taking longer than expected. The latest best guesstimate for launch now seems to be early October.

So here we are, with fans again wondering when the next update will arrive. Five years after its announcement, where is the future of Star Citizen headed? Will it ever be finished? Here's Chris Roberts with his take.

At Gamescom we're getting a good look at Star Citizen version 3.0. Are you in a state now that you'd term beta? What's next?

Chris Roberts: The term beta in terms of Star Citizen - with 3.0 the game is moving into a phase akin to Early Access. It'll build and grow from there, and then you could say 'well, it's not really Early Access anymore'. The price will probably go up a little bit and it will have much more of the features and content going on.

3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics. It's the first one which has proper persistence for your character, ship and items in terms of what their state is, their location is. When you log off and your ship is damaged, when you come back it'll still be damaged. There are a lot of jobs and options. The AI is still fairly basic - there's a lot more coming, but the AI... the previous 2.63 update was done the old scripted way. Now it's a scalable, modular mission system which designers can build from different blocks. We have procedural missions so there's a lot of 'go deliver something to this place', 'go identify a dead body on a spaceship', 'go after this particular pirate'. It's all templated up. There's a basic buying and selling mechanic, hauling cargo, the ability to earn and spend money on clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons. 3.1 will let you buy ships as well. And then from there we'll add more features for specific activities - mining, repair, building out more of the infrastructure for a dynamic universe.

jpg

Chris Roberts.

Where do you draw a line in the sand between alpha, beta, Early Access? Are they just labels?

Chris Roberts: I feel like they're just labels - people still think of the old way [of making games], like my past games. We'd talk about a game for years, we'd show it, but no one would have their hands on it 'til it was out. There was an obsession with 'when will it get released'. Even with those [traditional boxed] games now, they get patched, they add things, make things better over time. The way I look at it is, if you've supported Star Citizen you can download and play 2.63 which is a mini, early-stage version of this universe and play around. There's a game experience there - it's not got nearly as much as we'll have in the final game but you can go and see how ships feel, find out what you think, and get your voice heard in our community as we make it better. It's like saying 'hey, we're going to have this really fancy hotel, but if you want to stay in this wing which is finished but maybe all the bits aren't quite working - there's no hot water yet - you can'.

You're getting in there at a much cheaper rate than when it's finished and you can maybe help us define how we operate. I think even if we said, this is now past beta, the paradigm for online stuff just doesn't work that way now. You see it all the time. League of Legends continues to add new heroes, even more traditional stuff like World of Warcraft has revisions every year. Even if we said, 'we're released', we're never going to stop adding content. That's how online games die. If you look at EVE Online now, it looks nothing like the game which launched. GTA Online, too, it originally launched on PS3 and Xbox 360 which aren't even supported now, they're constantly adding new stuff to it. Maybe people need to shift their point of view - the way I look at it on Star Citizen, if you get involved it's not going to be completely polished or finished but you'll get your voice heard. It's not for everyone, of course - you can always take a back seat for a year or two and reassess it.

When will you make the call to raise the price point? Do you have enough money to finish the game?

Chris Roberts: We run the business like a live business - we look at what we bring in every month, every year and plan our business by that. If that changed, we would change what we do. Outside the fact we're not finished or released, the company runs like we had an online game which was monetised every day. Which it essentially is - we have people joining every day, buying a starter pack or a ship. All the money we've raised dictates our budget - to a certain point where we have pretty much everything on our wishlist. Right now it's a very not-for-profit enterprise where we plough the money back in.

Some people have spent a lot of money on the game - have you ever thought about putting in a spending limit?

Chris Roberts: I know some people don't think we say it, but I do - you don't need to spend any more than the base amount. That's all you need. I definitely think there are some people out there who just like the idea of supporting this. For them it's their hobby. I have friends who aren't necessarily into computer games but maybe they're into golf, which can be a pretty expensive hobby. I like to play games, I don't buy antique cars and restore them, or play golf, or any other middle-aged person's hobby. So I figure I'll spend a couple thousand dollars on games, I'll budget where I'm going to spend that, on World of Warcraft or EVE Online or whatever, because I like what's happening and I want to support them. It's nice to have that level of support, but by far the majority of the people who have backed it have paid $40. What happens is, it's much more of a headline to write about a person who's spent $100 or $1000. Longer term, people who have spent a decent amount of money in the game will have more value than if they'd spend $1000 or $10k on a Kickstarter and got to have dinner with a developer. Most of our stuff is related to the ships you have, and dollar to the actual in-game cost, the money cost is significantly less than the in-game cost. Some of these ships, like the Idris, are massive capital ships. As an individual, maybe Bill Gates could afford a carrier. Nations buy those things, not individuals. That's part of the appeal - ships in Star Citizen are so fully-realised. I would love to be Roman Abramovich hanging out in the south of France but I don't have that much cash.

I definitely do not.

Chris Roberts: There's a very small number of people in the world who have that. But in Star Citizen maybe you've got yourself a billionaire's yacht. It's a big-ass ship and you can have all your friends over to hang out. People set a value to this virtual space and for whatever reason they like spaceships more than other things.

You guys are perhaps the most high-profile crowdfunded game out there, or at least one of them. Do you feel the responsibility to do crowdfunding right?

Chris Roberts: I definitely feel the responsibility to deliver the game, and the best game possible.

Other people look to you guys as an example of how big crowdfunded games can be run. Does that weigh on your mind at all?

Chris Roberts: Not really - to be honest, I feel like we do a better job than a lot of people do with interfacing with and updating our community. We had a site for the community before we announced the game, the DNA of the company has always been about informing the community and keeping them involved. And of course with having a community comes people who will always say 'you're not open enough'. People ask me about launching their own Kickstarter, and I'll say 'it's really rewarding, you have a direct connection to gamers who are enthusiastic about what you're doing, who are supporting you. But it is 24/7, and you have to be prepared to be constantly sharing, engaging and that is quite exhausting. It's like running a political campaign but non-stop. We do video content every day of the working week, we put a lot of effort into updating the community every week on what we're working on, we have a large community team, we try our best. You're not going to get everyone happy but we try our best to keep everyone involved and be respectful of our supporters. Not everyone is going to agree with whatever direction we're taking because our community is large. We're always very thankful of the support and have built tools, an organisation system on our website, to allow people to get together, to have their own forums and talk privately. There are events which happen around the world called BarCitizen where people from a location get together, hang out and share stories. We really put effort into that. Sometimes on crowdfunding, there are some who raise the money and then you get maybe an update once a month, then two or three years later you get the game. For us, you're along for the whole ride. You've boarded at the beginning, and we'll show and tell you about everything until we get to our destination.

My time is almost up so, perhaps in a couple of sentences, I'd love to hear you answer your critics. The game has a lot of fans but also a lot of detractors, and for every missed deadline those detractors' claims are proved more correct. What would you say to reassure them?

I mean, you're a gaming journalist, I've been in the industry a long time. How many times do you hear that another publisher like EA or Ubisoft or anyone that's creating something big or new or ambitious, even after four or five years of development, where they've promised it for this year and then when the time comes they say 'actually, it's going to be the following year after all'. It happens a lot. A lot of titles get killed along the way. The game business is unpredictable - there's a lot of R&D which happens, people are just not particularly aware of that because they don't see how the sausage is made a lot of the time.

Sure, although the difference for you guys is that people have already put in their money, as opposed to a Ubisoft game which isn't crowdfunded.

Chris Roberts: Yes, but we do say it when people put in their money - there's a load of disclaimers on it. The beginning of our schedule page if you go to it is a load of caveats - quality is always the number one priority, so if we need to redo something versus staying on schedule we will redo it. That R&D is quite unpredictable and even if we've scheduled something out we may have missed some things. That when you're in bug-fixing phase, you could fix it in a week, you could fix it in an hour, you don't know. So we have all these caveats to our schedule, we say it has been built very traditionally by people who have been in the industry for a long time. Our production group is over 30 people, who have worked on everything from Grand Theft Auto to World of Warcraft, Halo, Destiny. They are not amateurs. It's stuff I've done for a long time, but the project is just so large, there's so much R&D, so many interdependencies, that as you get into things there are aspects which have a ripple effect on the schedule. It may be taking longer than we want, longer than we thought it was going to take, but our goal is to communicate at least where it's at all the time. And our schedules legitimately are internal schedules, the ones we share with the community. Now we're in the bug-fixing phase of 3.0 we've shared out bug count and you can see our fix rate against the discovery rate of new bugs.

People still say 'Chris, you lied to me', even if I did give all those caveats for our predictions. People forget all those qualifiers. I am fed up of giving someone an estimate - I'd rather say, here's the data I have, here's the schedule I see. This is what we are hoping for. Software developers at all levels tend to be optimistic - you have to be to build big things. But I hope that with what we're doing, show what we're doing every week, we can educate a fair amount of people about the process. There will always be cynics. And we're big - I grew up in Manchester when United weren't great, Liverpool were the team of the time. Now people hate United because they're the big team of the 90s and 2000s. There are people who love to show up in the match report in the Guardian and rile up their rival supporters. There's definitely an element of that which happens in Star Citizen - there's an element of investment and passion in the community, and when you're invested in something it's easy to get rises out of those people. There's a subset of people who say 'this thing is never going to come out, it's a scam'. Which is plainly not true. It would be the worst scam in the world. We're hiring all these people, we're working really hard. We're showing what we're doing every week.

You could say 'I wanted it to be this big [small gesture] instead of this big [large gesture]. That would be a legitimate complaint. But some of the stuff is literally just like a fan trolling a match report for their rival team. It happens. I see it on Call of Duty versus Battlefield, or PlayStation versus Xbox. There's an element of gaming culture which plays into that. The majority of our gamers, by our metrics, are happy. They don't really care, or pay attention to it, or read the comments. We know on our stuff, we know the people who are joining us and playing the game. We know how many people of those then are active in our community, who go to our forums. Then there are the people who are really loud to get their opinion across. And they are a fraction of a fraction of a fraction [of our playerbase]. It's a long term challenge for, in general, the world - there's a lot of loudness which gets over-amplified through social media. Maybe five per cent of people cared about that issue but it gets blown up. Noise can seem like it comes from a larger amount of people than it does.

That was more than a couple of sentences!

Chris Roberts: It's not an easy thing!

DeepOcean

Arcane
My prediction is coming true, they are releasing a minimum amount of content to justify an early access launch and are planning to keep kicking the can on the road with the money from the glorified beta testers of their game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

These poor bastards don't even know that there is a great possibility that planet axis rotation will not be in 3.0

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol at the people screaming it is a fake :lol:

I mean, there's even a video, ffs. Sure, in theory that could be faked, too, but nobody would go that far. For what purpose, anyway?
Derek Smart alt? :lol:

justincz

Scholar
refunds must be fake but their funding counter which people have suspected being manipulated for years requires zero evidence whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom