Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, reddit is a haven of philosophical discussion and intellectual diversity.

dos2 confirmed to be more of the same, with all the same flaws of the first. I called it from the start ;-)

While I was skeptical from the start as well, and disapproving of the 7-man writer team, I think their initial intent was to try to fix some widely criticized aspects. That's why the first batches of the beta included Fort Joy as an Auschwitz-like place, but somewhere along the way they decided to reverse that decision/direction due to the immense amount of money they threw into the project. Like, seriously, 4 VO studios? They wanted that money back and D:OS1 gave it to them in the first place, so why fix what isn't broken (in terms of making money), right?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, reddit is a haven of philosophical discussion and intellectual diversity.

My point was that him saying I'd fit in at reddit simply because I disagree with the guy is fucking shitty. I gravitated to the Codex because it's such a great place to be able to freely express, and with that will come lots of disagreement (which is great too)

Black

Arcane
Again, where is Larian's attempt at serious and dark story? At most you'll only get scraps and pieces of it in their games.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Divinity is silly, Pillars of Eternity is straight-faced, Baldur's Gate plays it down the middle. I prefer the latter. Being silly or serious all of the time is like holding a note while singing - after a while it's just noise.

Salvo

Arcane
The start in Fort Joy is pretty grim. Sourcerers are treated like cattle, basically, and all those who try to escape are either killed by the monsters in the swamp or by the magisters themselves.

I also really like how you start with nothing and need to work your way up.

Black

Arcane
Again, where is Larian's attempt at serious and dark story? At most you'll only get scraps and pieces of it in their games.
Wasn't beyond divinity what happens when Larian tries to do grimdark?
Haven't played that one. I had said that I think the best way for Larian is to do minimum story but obviously that's not the way they want to go. Instead of reducing the already bloated story of DOS they expanded on it in EE.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Larian should hire the writers of Bioshock Infinite, for some super srs writing and mind breaking twists. We're adults guys, grimdark is our name, frowning is our game.
Nah,I have a better idea of who they should hire:

HATE NEWSPAPERS

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Anybody know exactly what time the game releases tomorrow? Steam won't tell, just wants me to install the early access version instead.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I really can't stand the whole "silly and zany!" angle they've got going. It's pretty much what keeps me from being superhyped about this game and what kinda stopped me from enjoying the first one.

Humor is great but... ugh.
What pisses me off is that in the Enhanced Edition of D:OS1, they actually seemed like they wanted to dial it back a little bit, but they actually ended up ruining some of the absolutely amazing parts of it, such as the dialogue with the dog if you had Pet Friend. Completely fucking ruined it. No idea what they were thinking. I'm not sure why it is, but Larian just comes off as... off, when it comes to humor. It's like they don't know when to stop and when to go. It's actually frustrating, when I think about it, because most of the humor isn't necessarily bad, it's just misplaced. It comes at the wrong moment, or it's just over-the-top silly, and then when they dial it down, they ruin the moments that were good, or it's completely absent, meaning that it comes off as jarring compared to the tone of the rest of the game. And then in the middle of it all there's something sad, but then there's suddenly what amounts to a fart-joke before you have time to even digest it, and then suddenly there's something serious with absolutely nothing silly and you're meant to go "oh shit".

Makes me wonder if someone involved in the project at a major level is bipolar and goes around micro-managing certain parts like "Haha, put in X would be funny there when Y! Hahaha!" when he's in a good mood and then asks for stuff to just be binned when he's in a bad mood. "No, fuck that, it doesn't fit with the game. We want it to be dark, like my soul on a friday night as I sit alone, forgotten by my family who hates me!". Either that, or there's just wildly different people doing stuff with absolutely no oversight or coherent creative direction in terms of overall tone of the quests and the writing.

I mean, I'm excited for the game, I really am, and I genuinely can't wait to play this shit with my girlfriend, even if I'll probably have to wait until next week to really get started, but damn if I don't share your sentiment.

They NEED YOU to become their next Divinity? What? Did they just spoil the plot? The main plot is you becoming the next divine? Why?

EDIT: Also, I KNEW IT! I was thinking today that Fane's storyline will probably be trying to impersonate Lucius with the mask and get more power. Now I'm 99% certain that's what's going to happen, but I wasn't expecting for the main plot to be like that.

EDIT2: The trailer is super spoilery, I suggest not watching it if you don't want anything like that.
Thanks for the warning. I really don't understand what the fuck it is with marketing departments wanting to shit spoilers all over trailers these days.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It is all good and well that Larian games have silly writing, so that it can only be fully appreciated by people of at least a certain level of intellectual maturity, and not edgelord manchilds who can only find humor in dead babies.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously though, does anybody here actually know anything about the amount of silly humor in this game or is everybody just making assumptions based on what they did in a game written by one and a half people

imweasel

B5zqoiV.png

MgnOuGS.jpg

It begins.

Just wait until (former members of) Bioware Social Network find out that you can have some good old beastiality with the Red Prince in D:OS 2.

Kitchen Utensil

Holy fuck. What are these imbeciles who care about romance in fucking video games. Jesus Christ.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My point was that him saying I'd fit in at reddit simply because I disagree with the guy is fucking shitty.
I said you'd probably like it because of the similar tone to Larian's games, not because we have different preferences.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seriously though, does anybody here actually know anything about the amount of silly humor in this game or is everybody just making assumptions based on what they did in a game written by one and a half people

AFAIK the closest thing we have is our late great Bubbles saying that his first impression was that the writing was greatly improved. (Whatever that means, since I didn't mind the writing.)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought it was something picked up from the feature trailer. Based on what I saw in the beta... I honestly didn't find the style much different. At this point, I don't really care. I don't expect heavy dramatic performances from a computer game, much less if it's an isometric one, and even less if it's not Witcher 3.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You're not wrong, but Larian is Larian. While I'm cautiously optimistic, I think it's reasonable to expect the game to be.. Larian. That said, I've heard some good things, but until I actually play it myself, I'm reserving judgement, because most people are legitimately retarded and wouldn't be able to tell a turd from chocolate pudding.

That said, the game could be on the level of D:OS1, or even on D:OS:EE, in terms of tone (or lack thereof) and I'm still fucking excited and it's going to be fucking great.

Vibalist

Arcane
So, how's the soundtrack in this game? I fucking loved Kirill's music, as a matter of fact I think it elevated the first D:OS in ways most soundtracks never could. Did this new composer come up with something at least halfway decent?

Also, re the humor in Larian games, it's kind of funny that much of the music is kind of somber (not all of it, but a good chunk), but the dialogue is so wacky. I actually wasn't that put off by the 'zany' style of the storytelling, because the music put me in a kind of serious mood. It's a bit of a weird contrast, though.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't mind silly humor. It's actually often less obrusive and easier to shrug off than histrionic wannabe-seriousness.

That said, obviously there's a limit to everything...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom