Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Humor is hardest genre to write... especially so in games. I've yet to play a truly funny game, and the shit Larian has been writing far from it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doesn't the humor in Divinity pretty much belong to the lineage of PG13-rated European comic book humor ala Asterix and Tintin?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And please, give me a few more of the plenty of examples

It's not examples that anyone can give you, we can start listing the juvenile things, but that won't say anything. It's kind of like asking someone to "give [you] examples of bad horror in recent horror games/movies" or "give [you] examples of bad writing in this game". It's the overall direction, tone, coherency and style of writing, not just scattered examples. If it was only that nobody would be disgruntled.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think Asterix and Tin-Tin are much more fair comparisons, but I don't think Larian are trying to make funny games so much as silly games. I don't think they are out for laughs, I think they're just presenting some whimsical backdrop to the rest of the game

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Larian is extremely silly and whimsical humour, it was why most ppl hated it.

I hope it's not as prevailant in the sequel. it would suck.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The only decent games they made in terms of writing were Divine Divinity and Beyond and mostly because they were partly serious and some humor trown in there.
After that,they went full retard in terms of silliness and that really irked most people the wrong way.

Lacrymas

Arcane
AFAIK, Noober was universally despised, so I don't see your point? Intentionally annoying is still annoying.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess my overall point is that if this shit really gets to you, I don't get why you're surprised by it. Larian have included silly shit in their games consistantly, and classic games have peppered them in too. I guess I'm reacting to the seemingly incredulous onlookers of a predictable outcome.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not about being surprised, we obviously aren't, we know what to expect from them. The problem is that we (I) don't want that and we (I) want them to defy our (my) expectations.

Starwars

Arcane
I'll rather have more silly humour in games than more silly edgelord tryharding.

I'm inclined to agree that it would be nice with more humor in RPGs actually. But, like with everything else, it has to be well done. And humor in particular is one of those things that is just even more terrible if it doesn't work. It's very hard to write funny well.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Silly things that are consistant with their tone since before reddit even existed, and a sillyness that we accepted from other things that also were from before reddit.
You seem fixated on my mentioning of plebbit. The point of writing that was to infer the similar tone, so i'm glad we agree on that.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
The point of writing that was to infer the similar tone, so i'm glad we agree on that.

My meaning was that Larian was consistant with it's own tone, and not that it is consistent with that of reddit. Maybe it is though I don't actually know, I don't use reddit. Regardless, larian's games all feel like Larian games and I like that

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, after people were bummed about Larian switching to a more serious tone and "grim" story, now it turns out the style will be their usual silly stuff, and people are now bummed about that?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wasn't bummed at all, I was ecstatic. I shouldn't have been and now I see how naive I was.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My meaning was that Larian was consistant with it's own tone, and not that it is consistent with that of reddit. Maybe it is though I don't actually know, I don't use reddit.
You'd probably like it :smug:
So, after people were bummed about Larian switching to a more serious tone and "grim" story, now it turns out the style will be their usual silly stuff, and people are now bummed about that?
I merely agreed with an observation and provided some examples. I'm getting OS2 for the gameplay, not the story. As long as I can skip and mute dialogues i'm a happy troll boy.

Seethe

Arbiter
Larian should hire the writers of Bioshock Infinite, for some super srs writing and mind breaking twists. We're adults guys, grimdark is our name, frowning is our game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
dos2 confirmed to be more of the same, with all the same flaws of the first. I called it from the start ;-)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom