Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Ash

Arcane
I am a stealth game fan you idiot. Fact of the matter remains: Underworld was not a stealth game, it was a combat game, and including full stealth support damages combat. I was merely highlighting the fact.
I've worked on a game that offers both fully supported stealth and combat for five years (in which I followed and fully considered both to the best of my ability), and actually know what the fuck I'm talking about.

It's like attempting to talk to chimps: futile.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Previous Underworld "successor", Arx Fatalis, also had stealth system (if clunky and underused)...

Ash

Arcane
It didn't have full stealth support. That's the point. There doesn't have to be any notable damage done if it's just a occasionally viable supporting mechanic.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, stealth being underdeveloped was one of major complaints, hence even Arkane's more straightforward Dark messiah having a much more robust and useful stealth support... If they made another Arx game, stealth would've been much more developed and viable.

Ash

Arcane
Probably.

I'm just saying it comes with its unfortunate downsides, and I hope anyone that attempts to support both is aware of the fact and actively works to find a happy medium (not really possible, but some small steps can be taken).
In the case of Underworld in particular, though, I find it disappointing, because Underworld is meant to be treacherous and fearsome. Not filled with "Rent-a-cops". And it was originally a combat-centric game.
Ultimately, though, it's not HUGE deal. Just something well worth pointing out, and something that should be able to be pointed out without being jumped by a bunch of retards.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
Typical CyberP. Decides to ignore the points brought up and insults the opposite side in order to appear right.

Nobody was saying that full stealth and combat both being supported in a game doesn't come with compromises on both sides, but your points about stealth AI holding combat AI back, scripted traps not being possible(by the way, Thief actually has a whole bunch of scripted traps that sprung enemies in your face. I thought you knew this?) or bossfights being impossibe to implement were wrong. You also assume that the stealth player will use less resources than the combat player, or that somehow the combat player can just switch to sneaking without any skill point investment or stealth tools.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://gamedevslikeyou.libsyn.com/joe-fielder-game-writerdirector

http://traffic.libsyn.com/gamedevsl...79_-_Joe_Fielder_Game_Director_and_Writer.mp3

Gamkedo.Community is an interviews podcast sharing stories and advice from game developers worldwide. Hosted by Chris DeLeon of Gamkedo.com Made possible in part by supporters on Gamkedo's Patreon

Joe Fielder (@joefielderiii) has been a writer for BioShock Infinite, Medal of Honor series, Boom Blox, Flame in the Flood, and today in addition to side or unannounced projects is currently Game Director for @Otherside_Games - see UnderworldAscendant.com for more information. Music by Danny Baranowsky

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
and today in addition to side or unannounced projects

It's interesting that young developers at Otherside have side game projects beside UA.

Justin Papas, level designer - Albion Lullaby
Christopher Maire, programmer - Fun Ghost's Haunted Fun Factory

Both are projects they've been doing before joining Otherside though.

Also programmer Will Teixeira tried Kickstarter for some cat game (and failed) in 2015, but it seems his indie team is no longer active.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The publisher is using Steam announcements like a blog or Facebook page: http://steamcommunity.com/games/692840/announcements/detail/1449453249107426876

How About Some Concept Art Teaser

Welcome back! The OtherSide Entertainment team is hard at work developing Underworld Ascendant... What are you most excited for in the new game? How about some concept art?

09D134904E16F64358EAC2FA482D056A257C1209

Mind Crippler

065182949C74BC4B9B10E758F323AF538EC28677

Ripper

Do you like this? Would you like to see more? If so, be sure and follow the game for more information and updates as they become available!

The new Ripper art is new I think.

This is the old one:

a7297e33f76b5ade60031e69db45f2fe_original.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Pussies afraid of spiders shouldn't be playing games.

Pussy game devs considering modding out spiders shouldn't be making games.

Subtitle: "UA and SJWs, a love affair."

It's a shame really, for in the future if this trend continues, all games will be about sucking cocks and letting Jamal fuck your in game wife.

I'm glad I'll be dead by then.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
What game in the past 20 years have you liked Zep?

At the arcade:
Pong
Can't remember name (little ship with gravity star in the center)
Asteroids
Pac Man
Donkey Kong & Jr.
Joust
Sinistar
Galaga

PC or Apple/Mac or C64/Atari 800 or Console
Can't remember name (little guy runs around digs hole while being chased trying to get to the exit)
Zork(s) (a few of them), other Infocom games I forget the names of.
Julius vs Dr. J
RealSports Football
Qix
Console Ultimas
Q-Bert
Blue Max
Summer Games/Winter Games
Legendary Wings
Some of the Mega Mans
Kid Icarus (but fuck the eggplant guy)
Super Mario 3
Underworld 1 and 2 (2 not so much, but still OK)
Ultima 7 , 8 and 9
Doom 1 and 2
Quake

I think that covers the first 10 years.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
So the guy who fought to have "murdering children is OK" in his games....is SJWed by UA by allowing the removal of spiders because someone may be "triggered"...

How far we've come...

BTW , I was against the kid killing in Ultima. Stupid shock value with no benefit.

But what do you expect from a guy who takes his wife's name and poses next to a wall of dicks.

Zep--

Darkzone

Arcane
So the guy who fought to have "murdering children is OK" in his games....is SJWed by UA by allowing the removal of spiders because someone may be "triggered"...
How far we've come...
BTW , I was against the kid killing in Ultima. Stupid shock value with no benefit.
But what do you expect from a guy who takes his wife's name and poses next to a wall of dicks.
Zep--
Towards a previous post:
Yes it was obvious by the order that is supposed to be chronological. And i think you mean Dig Dug on the Atari 2600.
Towards this the last post:
"How far we've come..." Not quite we were always there and SJWs lack rational standards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last week: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1850.msg24369#msg24369

Hey all,

We're pushing to get our latest update together for early next week.

One of the main topics, which I think folks in this forum will particularly appreciate, is recent and current progress on the immersive sim elements of the game.

I have my own favorite aspects of that for the original games, but I'd love to hear what yours were. (If you have a better story or example than I do, I'd be happy to quote you for the write-up.)

Best,

Joe

Also they've been playing D:OS 2 (described as an "isometric immersive sim" by Jordan Thomas, btw)

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
How far we've come...
Zep--
Towards a previous post:
Yes it was obvious by the order that is supposed to be chronological. And i think you mean Dig Dug on the Atari 2600.
Towards this the last post:
"How far we've come..." Not quite we were always there and SJWs lack rational standards.

No...not Dig-Dug...I remembered the name this morning, Lode Runner.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom