Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - coming soon

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No details yet, just a website and a teaser trailer.

http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

Platform hasn't been announced yet, but I assume it's the 3DS.

Avellion

Erudite
I wonder what classes they will have this time around.

Support classes are always my favorite, lets see what will fit that niche for this game

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I had almost lost hope for a new actual sequel to the series, what with all the remaking frenzy that was going on (there's going to be another remake, this time of EO2), so an EO5 sounds like immensely good and inclined news to me. Surprised it happened before the remake of EO3.
I hope they'll improve on EO4's subclassing rather than pick the grimwah from Untolds.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
EOV, another Untold and that Mystery Dungeon+EO....
Madness
Still need to beat at least one of the game for NDS.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Calm down bro, mystery dungeon isn't an actual EO game mechanics wise (mystery dungeons are procedural generated stuff, exploration is third person etc), as for untold/eo5, we don't even have a release date for EO5 or any actual video game footage, for all we know this game will probably not release before winter.. 2015, spring 2016. Meanwhile untold 2 still doesn't have a western release date set (and it's coming tomorrow in Japan).

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
Fresh off a run in EOU, only to notice ITZ coming.

http://atlus.com/etrian5/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...yth_launches_on_17th_october_in_north_america

Plenty of 3DS fans have been looking forward to the arrival of Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth later this year, and those in North America now have a firm date - it'll arrive on 17th October priced at $39.99USD. The European release date will be announced "at a later time".

http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/dlc/

The EO series being my favorite dungeon crawlers of all time, I would be lying if I said I haven't read all about this latest release.

Supposedly somewhere between EO4 and EO2U in difficulty, with some OP class combinations and bereft of meaningful DLC (akin to the superbosses of EO2U), I'm still looking forward to this game. It should have all the QoL improvements of the Untold games, with a bunch of new monster designs.

Last edited:

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
They are also working on another one, the last EO for 3DS. At the moment we don't know if it will be EOU3 or something else.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Im still in my playthrough of the first (ds version) Etrian Odyssey (currently in 5th stratagem).

I like the game overall. Plus sides are combat difficulty, overall dungeon design, tight ressource management, the mapping feature.

What it lacks for me is character development, spell selection, puzzles and keyhunting and loot (most times i open a treasure chest i get some goddamn medica, not really exciting)

Overall its easily a 7/10 game, which is high praise from me for a jrpg.

Now my question: Do further entries improve in those aspects i critisized? And how much do the untold versions improve upon the classic versions if you dont really give a shit about weeaboo storylines?

duanth123

Arcane
Im still in my playthrough of the first (ds version) Etrian Odyssey (currently in 5th stratagem).

I like the game overall. Plus sides are combat difficulty, overall dungeon design, tight ressource management, the mapping feature.

What it lacks for me is character development, spell selection, puzzles and keyhunting and loot (most times i open a treasure chest i get some goddamn medica, not really exciting)

Overall its easily a 7/10 game, which is high praise from me for a jrpg.

Now my question: Do further entries improve in those aspects i critisized? And how much do the untold versions improve upon the classic versions if you dont really give a shit about weeaboo storylines?

EOU and EO2U (Untold series) are the series perfected imo, though EOU more so (EOU is more difficult.)

they improve imo on all your grievances, while being a lot tighter in gameplay flow, with a Classic mode if you prefer to avoid the shounen manga stuff.)

I would say skip playing the original EOI and II and just try Untold. Both have demos on the Eshop.

And don't play EOIV. It is very disappointing, slow, easy, with bite sized dungeons.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
EOU was stupidly easy compared to EOU2. I couldn't even finish it because of how bored I was with it due to the easiness. Also EO4 has the best class system and I liked the smaller dungeons as it felt better paced. Kinda disappointing that EO5 went back to the single mega dungeon.

duanth123

Arcane
EOU was stupidly easy compared to EOU2. I couldn't even finish it because of how bored I was with it due to the easiness. Also EO4 has the best class system and I liked the smaller dungeons as it felt better paced. Kinda disappointing that EO5 went back to the single mega dungeon.

The mega dungeon is the defining element of EO. There are other games if you'd prefer JRPG design and speaking of stupid easy EOIV was braindead, notwithstanding the decent class balance. It also has no speed up option for combat, which is like pulling teeth after 30 minutes.

Maybe the bosses were easier in EOU, I'll tentatively give you that (but mostly due to the HP bloat of EO2U bosses/more regimented attack patterns and even then they're still far more difficult than most crawler bosses), but the labyrinth and random encounters were definitely more difficult a.k.a. the vast bulk of gameplay.

In EOU's 2nd stratum alone, you have random mobs consistently sleeping and poisoning your whole party, which is not something you find in EO2U. In fact, I would say based on the experience of just recently playing both Untold games back to back that EOU far more noticeably throws intelligently designed encounters at you. So, like several mobs that cast ailments in the back row with heavy hitters in the front. Or encounters with piercing elemental attacks that are a two turn KO without mitigation.

Also there's a shortcut after nearly every FOE puzzle in EO2U, whereas in EOU you consistently find yourself panicked if you forgot an Ariadne thread.

Finally EO2U's force break is just a get out of jail free card, requiring no real thought for average encounters, yet mandatory for bosses, which makes for an easier, more JRPG experience.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
God who at Atlus has the shota fetish?

The Brouni are absolutely horrifying to look at and it seems the shopkeeper is one of these mongoloids we'll have to deal with game long. At least the bar owner is easy on the eyes.

I'm a little concerned EOV has overindulged in the the more weeb aspects of the series. I'll see for certain from the tenor of the quests.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The mega dungeon is the defining element of EO. There are other games if you'd prefer JRPG design and speaking of stupid easy EOIV was braindead, notwithstanding the decent class balance. It also has no speed up option for combat, which is like pulling teeth after 30 minutes.

Maybe the bosses were easier in EOU, I'll tentatively give you that (but mostly due to the HP bloat of EO2U bosses/more regimented attack patterns and even then they're still far more difficult than most crawler bosses), but the labyrinth and random encounters were definitely more difficult a.k.a. the vast bulk of gameplay.

In EOU's 2nd stratum alone, you have random mobs consistently sleeping and poisoning your whole party, which is not something you find in EO2U. In fact, I would say based on the experience of just recently playing both Untold games back to back that EOU far more noticeably throws intelligently designed encounters at you. So, like several mobs that cast ailments in the back row with heavy hitters in the front. Or encounters with piercing elemental attacks that are a two turn KO without mitigation.

Also there's a shortcut after nearly every FOE puzzle in EO2U, whereas in EOU you consistently find yourself panicked if you forgot an Ariadne thread.

Finally EO2U's force break is just a get out of jail free card, requiring no real thought for average encounters, yet mandatory for bosses, which makes for an easier, more JRPG experience.

Yeah I guess the mega dungeon is quite iconic, but arguably the most loved EO's (3 & 4) have an overland with mini dungeons. EOU2 isn't trivialized by force because it's a design element incorporated into the game and balanced around it and is a tactical necessity, especially if you try to take on Ginnungagap which loves to throw curve balls at the player.

Lack of shortcuts is not a feature, it's an annoyance. No one leaves town without at least one thread so this is a non-issue.

duanth123

Arcane

Yeah I guess the mega dungeon is quite iconic, but arguably the most loved EO's (3 & 4) have an overland with mini dungeons.

Lack of shortcuts is not a feature, it's an annoyance. No one leaves town without at least one thread so this is a non-issue.

EO3 had overland boss battles but a single labyrinth. No minidungeons to speak of.

Lack of generous shortcuts is what enables resource management, an essential feature of crawlers, insofar as the player is incentivized to push further into the labyrinth , despite dwindling TP, at the possible cost of a team wipe so that they might reach the next floor or a more sparsely placed shortcut.

What you consider an annoyance is exactly what attracts people to crawlers and the reason EO has a legacy to begin with.

I'm not trying to antagonize, but am genuinely surprised that you fail to appreciate this aspect given how much interest you otherwise show in the genre.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Yeah I guess the mega dungeon is quite iconic, but arguably the most loved EO's (3 & 4) have an overland with mini dungeons.

EO3 had overland boss battles but a single labyrinth. No minidungeons to speak of.

Lack of generous shortcuts is what enables resource management, an essential feature of crawlers, insofar as the player is incentivized to push further into the labyrinth , despite dwindling TP, at the possible cost of a team wipe so that they might reach the next floor or a more sparsely placed shortcut.

What you consider an annoyance is exactly what attracts people to crawlers and the reason EO has a legacy to begin with.

I'm not trying to antagonize, but am genuinely surprised that you fail to appreciate this aspect given how much interest you otherwise show in the genre.

Concerning EO3, yeah, but the sailing is rad. It really helped set the tone of the game by hammering home the feeling of being out at sea.

I disagree with you strongly on resource management being hampered by shortcuts. The pace from shortcut to shortcut is usually enough to stretch your party HP / TP thin, especially at the later stratums, which is the only resource management that actually matters in EO. Items aren't really all that important for the most part, as long as you carry at least one thread to tele back home.

People appreciate EO for many different reasons. I find the dungeon(s) to be functional but not entirely that interesting. For me the main course of the series is the party creation and combat, which it does to a degree that no other crawler can even compare.

Edit: EO5 demo is nice. I just don't like how the character yells out the same exact line each time you invest a skill point. It's pretty dumb. Initial thoughts are that this is EO that is always good but with some new nice touches. My first party (Front: Fencer / Harbringer Back: Warlock / Shaman / Necro) seems to be a bit of a dud, but I like the classes on an individual basis. The Union attacks, at a first glance, seem to be almost entirely a carbon copy of Allied Actions from Tales of the Forsaken Land.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
EO4's dungeon system was a mixed bag, imo. The 3rd area, filled with snow is the only one I made it to (quit when I reached the 4th area out of boredom) that I thought did it right. The mini-dungeons were connected in a (somewhat) meaningful way, from the back entrance and the hot / frozen mechanic. In the first 2 areas the mini-dungeons felt like a waste of time and space to fill in 1 or 2 quests each. I'd rather the mini-dungeons were just added to the main dungeon itself because they felt very small, and underwhelming. I know I was highly disappointed when I reached the first endboss after 3 small levels, which felt artificially lengthened by the annoying mechanics of the Honeybears.

I was kinda lukewarm towards the overland map, didn't bother me much. But I also felt like it didn't add much to the game either, and the Scout quests from the Duke were a bit of added tedium I didn't care for. I don't know if I'd say the game had great class balance, especially when comparing Arcanist to Medic. Not using the Arcanist as a sub-class, or rerolling your Medic into an Arcanist primary as soon as it becomes available is shooting yourself in the foot because of the mix of utility, passive recovery, AoE heal, and offense it gave. When combined with a Nightseeker, it was just filthy.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's been out for a while now in US and EU (digital) but I just got EU physical. Thinking about party comp. I've got Pugalist and sword dude class nailed for DPS but I dunno which classes I should go for support-wise and stuff. Oh well

duanth123

Arcane
Shaman is great combo with fencer for chasing as he has a party wide element buff. He's a decent healer too like the war magus from eo2u. You probably want a dragoon for your 1st play through as he's the only real tank

duanth123

Arcane
It's been out for a while now in US and EU (digital) but I just got EU physical. Thinking about party comp. I've got Pugalist and sword dude class nailed for DPS but I dunno which classes I should go for support-wise and stuff. Oh well

You have the binds down for pugilist. You might try necro for status afflictions

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I went with this

Guild name: LM Club

front line:
Yui - Dragoon
Mio - Masurao
Ritchan - Pugilist

back line:
Mugi - Shaman
Azunyan - Warlock

I invest early in gathering but I may still do a gathering party

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Take the racials that give stats. They are really good. A 1 point investment that scales quite well by levels is really valuable. Ignore the mastery passives unless they unlock something you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom