Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why did developers lost interest in isometric RPGs between 2002-2012

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Ten whole years, between Icewind Dale II in 2002 and the Pillars of Eternity kickstarter in 2012, and it had to be KICKSTARTED in the first place, not simply funded by a publisher. I thought the early iso RPGs were insanely popular with gamers, so why did they cease being popular with developers for ten years? Was it the desire to make everything '3D with polygons' because the technology had arrived and everyone else was doing it?

v1rus

Arcane
Can't know for sure, but guessing it has to do something with immersion. While I luv both isometric and bird perspective, first person does have unique power. Then again, fuck me if I have any idea why is most of the shit in third person :M

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought the early iso RPGs were insanely popular with gamers,

Not compared to other genres, no.

Everyone moved to the xbox and console gamers typically aren't into that iso nonsense.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Technology.

Non-2D became viable (3D was butt-ugly in the late '90s), and the gamer market was driven by tech improvements until recently, or should I say, until the Crysis crisis. Gamers and publishers and hardware manufacturers were all about the cutting edge, the next shiney graphics effects or DirectX possibilities. (Remember when entering in a fog slowed your PC to a crawl? Now we have a new card / DirectX version optimized for it. Upgrade you pleb!). Devs had to follow suit. Top games were basically tech demos.

But as more people got PCs and gamed on them, the market became less about enthousiasts and more about casuals. People bought PCs and expected to keep them a while, not to change parts every year for new games. 3D became good enough, and people made more and more the choice of sticking with their older operating systems and DirectX versions, keeping their hardware and saying fuck you to the tech escalation. Also, recent consoles being old PCs kind of helped stop the race. ATI being too small to provide a competitive challenge to nVidia and shifting to low power stuff helped too. And finally, publishers realized after Crysis that to sell to most people, you have to cater to the type of system most people have, i.e. old PCs. Old ways of doing things that did not exploit the last tech developments were back as things to consider. Tech demos were no longer what was desired by most people.

Also, the tech bullshit has now moved to the VR realm. Good fucking riddance.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Consoles. Pretty hard to click around if you're using your thumbs on a controller.
Plus, all the Halo-playing, doritto-eating, Mountain Dew-drinking ~gamers~ don't have time to read all the lore that describes the game's world.
They just want to no-scope OjDaJuiceMan420 because he talked shit about their mom.

Trashos

Arcane
What everybody is saying above. But in order to picture the very start of it, you have to imagine lobbyists from graphics card companies approaching the big studios and "seducing" them to get into 3D, so that said graphics companies can sell their new technology.

Ladonna

Arcane
It wasn't a magic fairy land before 2002 either. There was a lot of rubbish, not to mention the 'MMO' craze, from the early 90s up to '97, with turn based combat being the largest casualty. There was a brief outing of some really nice games, and then the decline...

Mark Richard

Arcane
A combination of 3D technology leaving behind its 90s growing pains, consoles bringing in the bigger audience, and mid-tier games getting phased out by the publisher mentality of all money or no money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom