Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates gets a story trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Coin Operated Games; Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is coming out in less than a month yet we still know very little about it. Today the developers released a story trailer describing the game's setting, a flooded steampunk New York City split into independent city-states. The concept seems compelling enough and the trailer is definitely less annoying than the last one, though it can't conceal some pretty janky visuals. I'll post it here, along with the accompanying press release:

Auburn, New Hampshire – September 12, 2017 – Coin Operated Games today released a new story trailer for its upcoming Neo-Victorian RPG Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates. The game will be coming to PC via Steam on October 4, 2017. Developed by a team of industry veterans from such influential companies as Crytek, Creative Assembly, Codemasters and Digital Reality, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates is a top-down isometric RPG that takes place in an alternate industrial New York circa 1911.

… water is everywhere but none of it to drink…

Gaming fans can celebrate National Video Game Day with a new trailer featuring a story we’re sure you’ve never seen before! Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates tells the tale of a troubled New York which toward the end of the 19 th Century is experiencing the tail-end of a technological and industrial boom the likes of which the world has never seen. Sprinting to a population of more than five million, New York becomes the biggest and one of the most advanced cities in the world… now give a big Empire City greeting to the Great Flood of 1899. New York then meets the new century by being submerged under raging waters, the source of which are unknown. The only thing that is certain is this… the entire city is flooded by rising oceans and the citizens now face a new threat: the fresh water pipes have stopped and there is no water to drink!

Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates features an original story penned by renowned writer/comic artist Paul Noth, a staff cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, where his work has appeared regularly since 2004. He created the Emmy-nominated animated series "Pale Force" for Late Night with Conan O’Brien and was animation consultant for Saturday Night Live. He's also developed shows for Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Nickelodeon, and his trilogy of middle-grade novels will be published by Bloomsbury, starting in April of 2018 with “How to Sell Your Family to the Aliens."

In the game, players will experience a New York City that has been divided into several varying City States, all vying for control of the city. There’s a colorful cast of characters to encounter – some will be your allies and some will be rivals – as you make your way across New York in an effort to discover a solution to the city’s new water problem, as the fresh water pipes running to the city have mysteriously stopped flowing.

Currently in development by Coin Operated Games, Empyre: Lords of the Sea Gates will be available via Steam on October 4, 2017. More information will be shared in the coming weeks once the waters die down…
Now, I said before that we know nothing about Empyre, but it turns out the developers have actually been quietly posting development updates on their official forums. Here we learn that the game's combat might in fact be RTwP (still unclear), and that the writer Paul Noth had actually never played a videogame before being hired. The game has a Steam page now too with some more details. But damn, everything about this is so weird. I can't wait for it to come out.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Yes interesting premise and setting but this game is disasterer waiting to happen. I almost puked watching those running animations and is that narrator voiceover is any indication of their budget then the entire project is doomed

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Clunky animations like these are acceptable in TB. But in realtime, it just kinda falls apart. Just look at that "massive brawling" in the trailer.

Still, I'm interested to see how it actually turns out.

Here we learn that the game's combat might in fact be RTwP (still unclear)

The quote says differentiation between planning phase and action phase, so it still looks like it's going to be phase-based (iirc at least that was the state of affairs in the previous newspost), not sure why you're throwing in this fake news.

Clunky animations like these are acceptable in TB. But in realtime, it just kinda falls apart. Just look at that "massive brawling" in the trailer.

If the clunkiness yr referring to in the brawl is partially about them all suddenly stopping in their tracks mid-action, it's probably because that's the planning phase.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Here we learn that the game's combat might in fact be RTwP (still unclear)

The quote says differentiation between planning phase and action phase, so it still looks like it's going to be phase-based (iirc at least that was the state of affairs in the previous newspost), not sure why you're throwing in this fake news.

From the same post:

When you have given all your orders, you can unpause the game and your party members will carry out those orders simultaneously.

This gave an impression that you can pause/unpause the time as you please, like RTwP system. But I think it's possible they actually meant "you can end the planning phase when you're done", thus it could be phase-based. (Also it's grid-based and all.)

Well, they better just release gameplay videos with developer commentary or something, or answer some questions here if they're seeing this thread.

From the same post:

When you have given all your orders, you can unpause the game and your party members will carry out those orders simultaneously.

This gave an impression that you can pause/unpause the time as you please, like RTwP system. But I think it's possible they actually meant "you can end the planning phase when you're done", thus it could be phase-based. (Also it's grid-based and all.)

Well, they better just release gameplay videos with developer commentary or something, or answer some questions here if they're seeing this thread.

hmm I stand corrected, especially the next sentence makes it sound like it really is just plain old run of the mill RtwP:

When you wish to give your party new commands or adjust their existing commands, you only have to pause the game.

The way they phrased the description of the planning phase using "Here the game is paused." did make it sound phase-based though, maybe just an attempt at making it sound more interesting I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom