Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What did New Vegas DO WRONG? / Would isometric New Vegas with finished content be GOAT?

Alexios

Augur
Patron
I sometimes hear people say the Legion is "too evil" to ever be appealing as a faction to side with in the main quest. I disagree with this. As the game has it, there's just no reason to join the Legion other than to see what quests they offer and what impact taking the Legion path has on the endgame cutscene. According to Caesar the Legion is a nomadic army that will form into an actual state once it retakes Hoover Dam. That's a nice backstory but it offers almost nothing for an RPG; a player just isn't going to see the logic of joining a band of nomadic raiders over an established state. If the developers really wanted to give players a moral dilemma they should've made the game start with the Legion already in control of Hoover Dam and other parts of former NCR territory. There should be actual citizens (not just soldiers and slaves) of Caesar's Legion; maybe some of them want the NCR back while others are content with or sympathetic to the Legion. The Legion could be just as "evil" in this scenario, the difference being that they would be an interesting faction for the player to side with.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Either way, he explains it better than myself.
he's the usual "i know better than anyone else" dictator who rationalizes why he wants to build a "glorious empire"
Every major villain in every game or movie could be boiled down like this. Emperor Palpatine? Check. Hitler? Check. The Master? Check. The Guardian? Check. Dr. Doom? Check. The Dark Savant? Yes. Sauron? Yes. Col. Autumn? Yes. Three Dog? Nope. He's the only exception. He's coming at us to fight the good fight, and tell us the truth, no matter how bad it hurts.

Last time I checked, all of the above are classic characters, even though they were bound by your description. Each shared the same motivation, but was a distinct char.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Minor gripe about FO:NV - you couldn't kill Mr. New Vegas. Maybe it was something in Wayne Newtons contract or something.

As much shit as people gave Fallout 3 - Bethesda actually thought things through enough to allow players to kill Three Dog. "You know, at some point, people are going to get annoyed with this guy..." Give them some credit for at least not making him immortal/only able to knock unconscious. Somebody, somewhere deep in the bowels of Bethesda planned for what happens when someone kills that guy, knowing it would probably happen a lot.

Quillon

Arcane
Wondered about it back in the day, turned out he was an AI. I liked FO4's insecure radio host too, tho he became insufferable after his quest. Don't remember much about three dog cept' that he screamed his name.

hilfazer

Scholar
Vault 13 canteen.
Infinite water? What sorcery is this?!! I didn't pick Wild Wastelander!
According to wikia it hydrates you every 5 minutes. But not minutes in game world - real minutes. It leads to some rather strange behaviour:
runs in the background, even while the Pip-Boy is up. Under certain circumstances, such as when sleeping or fast traveling right before the hydration level reaches the trigger point, the player can skip this trigger point and become dehydrated.
I didn't use it much as i drop it ASAP when playing on HC, but IIRC it trivialized H2O management. I'm choosing HC for a reason. I don't like cheats enabled by default.
Fortunately it's a minor issue and easy to solve.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I thought the game was kinda boring. I completed it with one of the story options that seemed the most interesting, (can't even remember it now), but the whole thing didn't take long and I didn't find it very interesting or memorable. Nor was the rest of the game. I'd say the main thing they did wrong was keeping VATS. That whole thing is shit. It should be an intense shooting game, or a slow deep and tactical RPG game, not a shitty halfbreed that fails at both. But that is Bethesda's whole mission statement and I doubt Vegas could have strayed too far from that.

boot

Prophet
New Vegas is a bad forum meme. Almost as bad as the choices and consequences meme.

In the end, you are still picking through metal crates and refuse piles and looting millions of rounds of ammunition, choosing 1of3 dialogue options-which doesn't really matter because you end up blowing people away with shots to the head either way- then instantly fast traveling from one location to another (fast traveling is an abomination). It's the same as Fallout 3. Obsidian writing is really good, but good writing does not make a good game. At least Fallout 3 had interesting environments, and the weakness of the gunplay/AI was not as apparent as most of it happened at close quarters.

So, I guess the engine is shit? Meaning, everything is shit, basically.

Black

Arcane
Use fo3 as its base.
Got published and all that comes with it by bethesda.

Beastro

Arcane
New Vegas is Fallout 3 with better writing (not that hard since Fallout 3 writing was laughably retarded), all in all it is still a shit game.

Fallout NV is a butchered, Frankenstein creature of watered down Van Buren with massive chunks of the overall plot cut out with pieces of what would have been Fallout 4 involving Caesar's Legion mated to it.

We'll never know for certain how VB would have been gameplay wise, but plot wise NV is a shadow of it that just makes you wish the original was made with the happiness that comes with the game coming from a sense that Fallout is back on track going in the right direction again even if the game itself is covered in wounds from what was needed in order to do that (such as the continued use of the Gamebryo engine).

Ash

Arcane
First things that come to mind for what I'd do:

More consequence for fast travelling on hardcore mode, or remove fast travel completely and introduce transportation systems.
Greater incentive to play caravan card game.
Investigate making NCR/Legion etc quests and locations more interesting on all fronts (they're not bad, just could be better).
More scripted events in the wilderness (e.g like the Sunset Sasparilla bottlecap muggers).
Nerf vats, possibly plenty efforts to make it more meaningful.
Improve combat across the board, with better AI and better combat mechanics.
The ability to sprint, or just faster base running speed, which will also play into combat.
Greater diversity of dungeons, and perhaps more challenging ones that utilize other elements of gameplay (definitely puzzles. Maybe even some platforming like Morrowind).
Eliminate my most hated Gamebyro flaw if possible: crouching doesn't change player collision height. Seriously, this shit has been present since Morrowind right through to the latest Bethestard game.
Perhaps a extra hardcore mode that restricts saving in combat/dungeons or something along those lines, bumps up the prices of stimpacks, stuff like that.
Expanded weapon modification and refined crafting systems.
Fix some perks. Radboy type perks are just pure garbage.
Fix many of the game's numerous bugs.
Generally add a layer of polish to everything.

I'm sure plenty more would come to mind with more time spent invested in the subject, yet I assuming/hoping there's mods out there that address a lot already.

Ash

Arcane
New Vegas is Fallout 3 with better writing (not that hard since Fallout 3 writing was laughably retarded), all in all it is still a shit game.

This is inaccurate. Better world design. Deeper and more refined systems (for an example, see conversation system or the changes hardcore mode brings). Reintroduction of old FO features (e.g Traits). And yes, better writing. It's better in damn near every way.

laclongquan

Arcane
200 years after the war this house is still standing :patriot:

What make you think it's preWar building?
It look wooden, not concrete. if it's PreWar it should have been either concrete or metal. Wood is expensive these days, yo.
It look to me a recent building, post war, when access to concrete or metal is hard and wood is easier.

Danikas

Arcane
200 years after the war this house is still standing :patriot:

What make you think it's preWar building?
It look wooden, not concrete. if it's PreWar it should have been either concrete or metal. Wood is expensive these days, yo.
It look to me a recent building, post war, when access to concrete or metal is hard and wood is easier.

Its 100% pre war, you tell me they dont have wooden buildings in kwanzania?

Plus its the same asset from fallout 3 and it was meant to be pre war simple deduction.

Also computers working for 200 years no problemo with zero maintance ^^.

Wooden power poles.

:deathclaw:

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
No no, you are getting it wrong. It's bad of me to put it simplicitic like that. Mea xima culpa.

There's a fuckload of thing that can fell a wooden house in the course of two century: natural disaster like earthquake, tornado... or flame, always a favourite in dry-desert conditions in which it can be best preserved. hell, in a slightly moist-er air the wood get fungus or insect that feast on wood.

And we are talking about a land that experience the Great Nuclear War.

What make you think a preWar wooden house can survive two centuries like that? When a wooden house wouldnt survive untouched in nowaday America. Can you give me an image of a 2-century old wooden house WITHOUT constant maintance?

KateMicucci

Arcane
If you start a DLC you're stuck there until it's finished even if you get really bored of it.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
If you start a DLC you're stuck there until it's finished even if you get really bored of it.
Half-way into Honest Hearts I got too bored to keep going, so I simply reloaded a save from right before I started the DLC. Always keep multiple saves, people!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
the writing for the legion was shit
"we are what the wasteland needs and we are all evil and slavers and self-righteous and shit"
it would have been easy to make them a survivalist group with some "good" inclinations, or some kind of anarchists who though NCR's mindset of "big government" was what brought for the apocalypse or some shit that made sense, the cookie cutter "evil guys" really cheapened the experience for me...
Either way, he explains it better than myself.
he's the usual "i know better than anyone else" dictator who rationalizes why he wants to build a "glorious empire"
Man, I keep coming back to this thread and these two posts keep pissing me off, because it's simply not true, and the fact that the game had so much cut from the legion is the reason you'd think so, which only highlights the main issue I have with the game, which is exactly that.

The fact of the matter is that the Legion isn't just "we are all evil and slavers and shit", but the slaughter of Nipton and the overall conflict in the Mojave easily gives that impression, whereas all the bits of piece of the Legion and Caesar himself suggests otherwise, which could've been reinforced by actually having a legion region to the east of the dam as originally intended. They keep slaves, yes, but slaves are also protected by the law and generally have it better than they had beforehand. Yes, the Legion conquers and enslaves tribes and raiders, but they also incorporate those into their ranks and their supply lines.

Hell, the Mojave and the NCR is a shit-pile of factions, slavers, raiders, and political bickering, while supposedly, the legion lands are well-ordered, structured, and safe - there are no powder gangers, no rape gangs, no raiders. But it's also highly militarized, stratified, and generally poor. While you may argue that Caesar is "the usual" "i know better than anyone else" dictator, and hell, you might even be under the delusion that dictatorships or monarchies are somehow inherently evil, the fact is that it's completely absurd, because contrary to the vast majority of "dictatorial" bad-guys in fiction, Caesar isn't actually kick-the-puppy evil, and has actually created his dictatorship with forethought and a plan - a plan that even does not necessitate himself at the head of it, since his ideal is obviously to create a synthesis. "The Legion" as it is not his ideal, it is merely a means to an end in order to create a completely different, functional society, because he realizes that his legion as it is cannot survive or grow in it's current form.

And before anyone goes "hurr durr, Lanius was retarded, Caesar didn't even plan for his own progression", with the aforementioned in mind, you have to be retarded if you think that Lanius was the intended successor of Caesar. Lanius was the blunt object that guaranteed Caesar's reign, and his position as second ensured both Lanius loyalty as well as the fear of potential enemies, much like how both the political left and the political right of our contemporary America has joked that Trump cannot be killed, because that would make Mike "Electric Fence" Pence president. While far from as serious, again, someone have to be stupid to think that that's a mistake.

The fact that we can piece these things together based on scraps (and being informed by Caesar, who we have no specific reason to trust at that time) infuriates me, because from the perspective of the player character, because we don't get to interact with the Legion and it's lands in the way we interact with the NCR and the de facto NCR-ified part of the Mojave, it's extremely hard to not consider the Legion a band of murderers, and if that's your first initial reaction (which it pretty much is forced to be, due to Nipton), it pretty much excludes any future reasonable interaction with the Legion unless you're already playing an asshole.

Had the east of the Colorado river not been cut and Nipton not been the first impression of the Legion (and maybe placed, say, North of the dam, effectively much later in the game), the nature of the Legion would've been a lot clearer. The writing is fine. The storytelling, the narrative in which how this is conveyed to the player, in a large part due to cut content and cut areas, is suffering, and I think this is largely due to what was described earlier in the thread, that FONV is sadly a bloodied stump of ideas originally explored and considered as a part of Van Buren.

Edit: Fucked up East/West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom