Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

It's enough to listen to the songs on youtube.

Also I've played it on release (on PC), gameplay was dull as fuck and ""clever subversion"" of the genre and game tropes was simultaneously not so clever as they thought, and not enough to carry on the game. It was grindy, combat just wasn't fun, it had intentionally terrible loot system, and the plot wasn't something to write home about. It had a few decent gags and a couple of great songs. Still, it is better then most mobile RPGs. Which is a faint praise indeed.

Prime Junta

I played a bit of it.

It put the word "unfunny" in a whole new light. "Unfunny" is an interesting concept. It's not the same at all as "not funny." It's more like the opposite of funny, something that at the same time tries really hard, believes that it succeeds brilliantly, and completely falls on its face.

It was also un-fun, which is yet another concept.

I've no doubt it will find a small but rabidly dedicated fanbase somewhere. Quite possibly in a dark corner of Codexia.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought it was pretty funny. Didn't feel like it was trying too hard. Felt quite comfortable to me.

The gameplay, though, if you sit down to analyze it, it is an abomination indeed. Fortunately it's also mindless which means you can just mash buttons left and right and you don't need to care about much else.

I thought it was pretty funny. Didn't feel like it was trying too hard. Felt quite comfortable to me.

The gameplay, though, if you sit down to analyze it, it is an abomination indeed. Fortunately it's also mindless which means you can just mash buttons left and right and you don't need to care about much else.
In other words - perfect for mobile """gamers""".

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Already"? TTON's been out for a year and a half. Of course they're sprinkling free copies as incentives for their newer stuff.

EDIT
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAewAAAAJDQ3MzdkOGVmLTA4MTgtNDU3NC04Y2U0LWQ1MjJhYmY0N2RjZQ.jpg

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Do you want spend ~$600 or more to play a shitty game? Well, we at inXile give you 3 shitty games for that price!

Road to the acclaimed VR developer: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nxile-secures-usd4-5m-investment-from-gumi-vr

Brian Fargo's inXile secures $4.5m investment from gumi VR
Veteran plans to follow Mage's Tale with open-world survival VR title; gumi investment is part equity, part funding for development

Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment has landed an investment from gumi VR, a subsidiary of Japan's gumi Inc. The $4.5 million investment is a combined total covering part equity in inXile and funding for a brand-new VR project. Fargo intends to build on his VR success with Mage's Tale by creating an open-world survival title for all high-end VR headsets. As part of the equity deal, gumi CEO Hironao Kunimitsu also joins inXile Entertainment's board.

"Gumi shares my passion for creating deeper virtual reality games and I'm fortunate to have a partner to work with in this spectacular new medium. We've had incredible feedback from our first game, The Mage's Tale, and we want to continue to build on our experience and reputation. I've always been fascinated by the social dynamics of the open world survival genre and experiencing that in virtual reality will create powerful and terrifying moments. We'll also be bringing our storytelling and RPG experience to the table to help enrich the genre," said Brian Fargo, CEO, inXile Entertainment.

Added Kunimitsu: "Brian is a legend in the games industry, and inXile Entertainment has a track record for creating ground-breaking PC and console games that feel AAA in scope and size using their creativity, ingenuity, and ambition. Over the past year, they've brought in very talented and experienced members as they shift their strategy from single player to multiplayer online games as a service, and we look forward to seeing how they approach the space. Since breaking into VR, we believe they've already delivered the best VR RPG game to date with The Mage's Tale. We're honored to become a strategic investor and partner with inXile, and delighted for the opportunity to work together on the next VR title with such a masterfully skilled team."

Gumi announced its intent to expand into VR/AR last year. It's an interesting choice of funding for inXile, which has relied upon crowdfunding assistance of late, but in a phone interview with GamesIndustry.biz Fargo commented that crowdfunding just wouldn't be a viable source for VR at this stage.

"I don't think the market's big enough to materially raise money for a virtual reality project yet. That's my opinion. Somebody may come along and prove me wrong, but it doesn't feel like it's there yet," he said.

Fargo also made it clear that the investment from gumi does not cover the project in its entirety: "The combined monies cover a great portion of the development, though we always put some financing into the games ourselves also. If we look to do other formats, then the funding requirements could go up. In a way, this deal is like crowdfunding in that we try to cover as much of the cost as we can, knowing that we'll end up coming out of pocket for some of it ourselves too."

We'll soon be publishing the full conversation on Fargo's approach to VR and his thoughts on the industry as he prepares for retirement. Stay tuned.

Gumi is used in Japanese in the context of criminal or corrupted organizations...

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fans: "moments of redemption have to be earned".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom