Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky and Feargus Urquhart reminisce about making Fallout 1 & 2 at Eurogamer

aratuk

Cipher
Note: Feargus is what a dwarf who shaves his beard looks like.

Note: Feargus Urquhart was technically the lead designer of Fallout 2.

ok I just watched the part about the first game and him chiming in constantly didn't have much of a point (didn't even know the difference between Vault Boy n Pip Boy what a nerd lol), but maybe the second part has Cain n Leonard talking about stuff they didn't know about later development of the second one so it all balances out in the end.

should've just had two panels for the two different games and kidnap mca and anderson from whichever mmo they're working on atm

Last edited by a moderator:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Possible unannounced Obsidian projects:

Darklands 2 historical black death simulator
Alpha Protocol 2 - not likely
KotOR 3 - not likely
Lovecraft 1920's
Weird West Deadlands
Wasteland Fallout
Stupid alien RPG they went on about
Something not fantasy with elves and shit
Something lame with tanks or online

Edit: World of Darkness

Maybe something with more triangles and circles? Cause triangles and circles are numberless which is good for attributes because numbers confuse retards.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Unless they are doing a New World of Darkness (which will be real-time, and that is fine), of which a VERY creative team could do a really really good game in that setting. OR a new TURN-BASED Post-Apocalyptic Earth setting (LOL Feargus would NEVER EVER let them do that. Period), I don't think I personally am going to have much, if any, interest in any new Obsidian game.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised though....

:salute:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Maybe it's just me, but it can't really be coinsedence, that Boyarsky, Cain and Urqhart talk ALOT about FO1+2, New Vegas this week.. and plan to reveal something soon...

I think the new game they are working on at Obsidian might actually be a post-apoc rpg in line with the fallout universe. HYPE

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe it's just me, but it can't really be coinsedence, that Boyarsky, Cain and Urqhart talk ALOT about FO1+2, New Vegas this week.. and plan to reveal something soon...

I think the new game they are working on at Obsidian might actually be a post-apoc rpg in line with the fallout universe. HYPE

I have to admit: A new TURN-BASED Post-Apocalyptic setting done by Obsidian would be pretty sweet. Or an Arcanum like setting with decent combat.

They cannot touch the Fallout universe but that's not a big issue as there are many other options.

Avellone would probably participate to this project despite his grudge.

But Josh would have to be restrained and kept away from the project.

Bottom line is this: If they announce anything which is not TURN-BASED then they can fuck off.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Avellone would probably participate to this project despite his grudge.

lol no he wouldn't

I forgot about this.

SB: Hypothetically, if Obsidian were to make a hypothetical new Fallout spinoff, would you hypothetically want to go back to obsidian and have some involvement with it being that Fallout is so close to your heart?

CA: No. While I like the developers and wish them all the very best, there's too many other problems at the higher managerial level to ever consider stepping back, especially when you could make a step in a direction that mattered for the franchise. Even leads at Obsidian have said as much (most after departing), and they told me they felt helpless in their roles to do what they felt was the right decision.

SB: You’ve said that you don’t think Fallout will leave Bethesda’s hands again, and likely not go back to Obsidian. Do you think this would have anything to do with the quarrels Bethesda and Obsidian had during and after development (specifically the metacritic thing) and like I said before, they’re worried about being showed up so to speak? Because with Bethesda’s patterns, the next Fallout game by them likely won’t come out for a long time, so they probably want to fill that gap with something, no?

CA: I doubt Bethesda worries much about what Obsidian is doing (Bethesda's likely way too busy on multiple fronts), but only they could speak to that, I have no idea. From an outside perspective, however, it appears when Bethesda likes working with a studio or see their potential, they seem to buy them (Arkane). They didn't buy Obsidian, though, even though Obsidian is eager to be bought based on recent interviews. It might be for the best - I don't know what would happen to the devs if Obsidian was bought, but the upper management would likely come out okay with that exit strategy.

SB: Let’s say Bethesda goes and tries to fill the wait for Fallout 5 with a Fallout MMO by The Elder Scrolls Online developer Zenimax Online Studios. Do you see any potential in this idea?
CA: I think a Fallout MMO would do well. Yes, RPG Codex, light your torches, I'll send you a map to my house.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have to admit: A new TURN-BASED Post-Apocalyptic setting done by Obsidian.

Feargus would never ever under any circumstances, allow such a game to be made. PERIOD. And I agree with him (at this time). That isn't a setting that is going to keep them in business.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I haven't bought their last few games due to generic fantasy nonsense, so some generic post apocalyptic nonsense would be a welcome change.

Who the fuck cares about Obsidian and why are some of you treating them as some sort of incline messiah when they've repeatedly let everyone down in the past
KotOR 2, New Vegas, Stick of Truth, Alpha Protocol - what more do you need? Those are decent games in a sea of shit. Worth giving them another chance I think. Even if they are losing too many people I like.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a Black Isle-centric forum and we will always care about Obsidian as long as they're making RPGs.

I'm sure Maxie knows this though and is just being annoying

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Best thing that can come out of this media blitz is me winning that PS4 from the Eurogamer contest.

However, I'm very cetical of contests with no clear rules - especially on which countries can participate. I doubt they're planning to ship stuff to Japan or South America.

Paul_cz

Arcane
This was a fun talk. The cynicism of some codexers is just embarrassing at times.
It is cool Tim wrote the intro. Perlman really nailed the War never changes line.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Who the fuck cares about Obsidian and why are some of you treating them as some sort of incline messiah when they've repeatedly let everyone down in the past
KotOR 2, New Vegas, Stick of Truth, Alpha Protocol - what more do you need? Those are decent games in a sea of shit. Worth giving them another chance I think. Even if they are losing too many people I like.

Studios are ultimately comprised of people working on games and none of the schmucks at 2017 Obsidian has ever done anything like New Vegas
They really didn't do anything like New Vegas. They just made the Original Fallout (Cain, Boyarski).

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Okay I have to admit Feargus annoyed me quite a bit with his domination of the conversation, especially because Leonard and Tim had really interesting things to say, and Tim's passion for and his knowledge was really interesting. However I realized that Feargus is the PR/business guy and probably is stepping in to avoid those two guys saying anything that pisses anyone off.

Either that or he's just a fag.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems pretty suspicious; all this Fallout related nostalgia, Nu Vegas, talk about promising canceled projects like Aliens RPG... I agree with Christ Avellone that Bethesda usually outright buys studios they like and the fact they didnt buy Obsidian is quite telling
On the other hand it IS a bit too much all this drumming up for trying to get some hype going for nothing so at worst its just fluff pieces for eurogamer and at best its hyping the secret Boyar Cain project we know is currently on development
Alpha Protocol 2, Darklands inspired game, Kotor 3 or dystopian future game all sound good to me

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Did they say when Bard's Tale is coming out? Avellone's writing in this game is going to be CRAZY like in his best games such as Fallout 3! Man I can't wait to play this oldschool hardcore RPG!

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
avellone (master writer and rpg extraordinaire): listen you fucking script monkey or code guy or w/e the fuck you are i want you to add the option to stab the female in the stomach AFTER the player finds out shes pregnant

junior engineer: but sir the condom was in the inventory in that scenario so she-

avellone: look- i dont have time to play games with juniors just write me a report-

ceo at the time: avellone we cant have that option the ESRB will be all over us; fargo says it's out-

avellone: jesus christ i'm trying to break new ground here and you're constraining my talent; if the game fails in the marketplace it's managements fault! *slams door*

ceo at the time: *to another executive* he's a genius we need to keep him on board- fire all the engineers and have the marketing dept. push planescape and fallout 2 i want plants on every forum

random executive: i'll make the call

Flou

Arbiter
Feargus would never ever under any circumstances, allow such a game to be made. PERIOD. And I agree with him (at this time). That isn't a setting that is going to keep them in business.

I agree. I think Wasteland caters pretty well to that crowd and I don't think Feargus wants to compete directly with InXile and Fargo doing similar games.
Now going against Bethesda and their retarded version of Fallout... that's a better idea. Bigger customer base and the competition don't even know how to make world that is even remotely good and has that "immersion" they want to throw out in every fucking interview since they bought the license.

Fallout: New Vegas is the best game out of the new era Fallouts and that is a great marketing tool to use. Not to mention using Cain&Boyarsky as the creators of Fallout.

Flou

Arbiter
Seems pretty suspicious; all this Fallout related nostalgia, Nu Vegas, talk about promising canceled projects like Aliens RPG... I agree with Christ Avellone that Bethesda usually outright buys studios they like and the fact they didnt buy Obsidian is quite telling

Yes, because getting bought by Bethesda Overlords sounds so fucking awesome deal:

http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.ph...-them-and-tried-to-do-the-same-to-human-head/

Because Obsidian managed to deliver the game in time and in a way better shape than those fucks at Bethesda actually expected, they were able to remain free from slavery.

The amount of asskissing towards Bethesda by MCA is quite sad.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Better than finding gold.

I think it's time to ask Leonard if we wants to appear on Matt Chat...

EDIT:
So Fallout 1 sold more than 800k while at Interplay? (32m)
I thought it was 600K (Fargo said it a few times)...even Boyarsky seems surprised about this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom