Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
21317869_1579010612159131_6742886509494671818_n.jpg

While the others were supposed to be women, this one is supposed to be a man.

21457699_1579010612159131_6742886509494671818_o.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They're all ugly as sin. If you want actual body horror, then heroic fantasy is not for you.

Is there some rule that you can't have unattractive characters in heroic fantasy? I'm not asking for all of them to be freaks, I'm just musing that none of the conventionally attractive origins have this as-of-yet unexplored thing in gaming. The origins are really generic - the grizzled mercenary who seeks revenge for the death of his wife/son (if they haven't changed Ifan's motivation, but it's probably just as overused), the rebel who tried to go against the queen, the slave who seeks revenge (or whatever Sabille's want is), the fallen from grace aristocrat, etc. Lohse is the only one who has a somewhat unique condition and I'm sure she's not the only possessed by demons protagonist in gaming. I don't know, it seems like a wasted opportunity to not explore some more extreme aspects. Like the aforementioned deformation.

KateMicucci

Arcane
U
They're all ugly as sin. If you want actual body horror, then heroic fantasy is not for you.

Is there some rule that you can't have unattractive characters in heroic fantasy? I'm not asking for all of them to be freaks, I'm just musing that none of the conventionally attractive origins have this as-of-yet unexplored thing in gaming. The origins are really generic - the grizzled mercenary who seeks revenge for the death of his wife/son (if they haven't changed Ifan's motivation, but it's probably just as overused), the rebel who tried to go against the queen, the slave who seeks revenge (or whatever Sabille's want is), the fallen from grace aristocrat, etc. Lohse is the only one who has a somewhat unique condition and I'm sure she's not the only possessed by demons protagonist in gaming. I don't know, it seems like a wasted opportunity to not explore some more extreme aspects. Like the aforementioned deformation.
Uglies don't sell games. A few years ago the LOL devs tried to make a few ugly heroes for their games but they were so unpopular that they switched to a policy of making only pretty girls, muscular men and cutesy muppets.

bataille

Arcane
I'm disappointed by the lack of unattractive/borderline freak origins. Those of the conventionally attractive races I mean. Think Quasimodo. Why couldn't Sabille be deformed by the slavery and beatings she endured? Or Lohse looking like a stereotypical Baba Yaga type of witch due to the possession and madness? Not only being deformed, but their origin and the way people treat them to be reflective of that.
Because the emphasis seems to be on the act of revenge, not her past as a slave. I can safely bet that even the mark is going to be removed at some point.
And everything else looks archetypal more than anything, the origins just jumpstart the usual jazz and push the heroes out of the door to go on an adventure, they don't hold a lot of meaning by themselves.

Lacrymas

Arcane
None of the DivOS2 characters are particularly attractive. The human female in particular has the face of a man.

It doesn't matter what their model is, they are portrayed and obviously drawn/imagined to be attractive. And that's fine. I'm just irked by their unwillingness to portray more extreme characters. They had the opportunity to make whatever characters they wanted, but all of them have generic backgrounds with generic motivations we've seen time and again (we don't know what Fane's deal is yet, though). Like I said, Sabille could've been deformed by beatings, yet she looks like a supermodel; Lohse could've neglected her looks due to the preoccupation with the voices in her mind, ending up like a homeless and unkempt woman; Ifan could've lost an arm or leg in his mercenary days etc. What we have now are supermodels who don't reflect their origins, kinda like Barik in Tranny, having perfect skin despite years literally living in his own shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes! Nosferatu are great! I actually thought the undead would be something like this, trying to find alternate routes and not to be seen. I was extremely disappointed when they announced they are going to use the mask to blend in.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
It doesn't matter what their model is, they are portrayed and obviously drawn/imagined to be attractive.
I agree with the rest of your post, but I'm going to disagree here. Either females in Larian's homeland all have man faces and they're all into that, or they did not design them to be attractive.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lohse is the only one who has a somewhat unique condition and I'm sure she's not the only possessed by demons protagonist in gaming. I don't know, it seems like a wasted opportunity to not explore some more extreme aspects. Like the aforementioned deformation.

Yeah well the 6th companion is some undead guy written by Chris Avellone. He wasn't in the beta and no one knows much about that character yet so wait and see I suppose

Sentinel

Arcane
Lohse is the only one who has a somewhat unique condition and I'm sure she's not the only possessed by demons protagonist in gaming. I don't know, it seems like a wasted opportunity to not explore some more extreme aspects. Like the aforementioned deformation.

Yeah well the 6th companion is some undead guy written by Chris Avellone. He wasn't in the beta and no one knows much about that character yet so wait and see I suppose
IIRC he wasn't written by Avellone, only his Origin Story was (aka the text no one reads at character creation).

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know what you people are on, but I don't think Ifan, Sabille and Lohse are ugly, they are conventionally attractive. Yeah, Lohse's latest art isn't the most flattering, but she isn't ugly on it as well, nor do I think she has a man face. Sabille is beautiful and Ifan is a hunk who just needs a haircut and a beard trim. I'd fuck each one of them. Maybe I'm just weird, but I really don't think they are genuinely unattractive. They might not be to someone's preferences, but it's disingenuous to say they are ugly.

IIRC he wasn't written by Avellone, only his Origin Story was (aka the text no one reads at character creation).

Origin Story means the whole shebang afaik. I doubt he was hired to write the 3 sentences at character creation.

Ruchy

Scholar
My biggest concern which I hope is unfounded is that race choice will be meaningless when you can use the mask to transform into any race and gain their unique traits i.e Elven cannibalism to gain the memories of the fallen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My biggest concern which I hope is unfounded is that race choice will be meaningless when you can use the mask to transform into any race and gain their unique traits i.e Elven cannibalism to gain the memories of the fallen.
Really? I thought that the mask just changes your appearance so i.e. you can talk to people even as an undead. Do you really gain all of their traits as well? Also, how many masks are there in the game? If only one, there are still 3 other party members where the race choice will matter since only character can use the mask at one time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It comes out in 2 days, so it's not like you gain anything substantial by waiting. The substantial benefit is waiting a month or two so they finish patching the big offenders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom