Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst part is that it doesn't even have characters I like. What is the point?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
having never before played a fire emblem which one should i play first

Delterius

Arcane
My first one was Blazing Sword for the GBA, though keep in mind the first character's campaign is an extended tutorial.

But if you want a smooth start, aim for one of the Fire Emblems with level grinding avaiable through the campaign map. Like Sacred Stones, for the GBA.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
Depends on the kind of start you want. Want the "real" Fire Emblem of yore? Go with FE4(Genealogy of the Holy War) or FE5(Thracia 776), they are probably the best of the lot when it comes to the oldies but play rather differently. Thracia resembles more the "classic" Fire Emblem formula of challenging battles with creatively designed maps and battles, which include surprise reinforcements from the back galore and other such shenanigans. It's still one of the hardest games in the series despite the tendency of this franchise to pile on extra super hard modes of all sorts on their games, and features interesting mechanics like capturing enemies. FE4 is much more easy going and features the biggest maps of the series, if that is your kind of thing, it also pioneered the whole system of allowing the player to play with different generations of warriors that would be revisited later in the series.

If you don't necessarily want a classic experience but simply want to play what many consider the core essence of Fire Emblem, i.e. challenging tactical battles with no grinding and creative, though somewhat puzzle-like encounter design, then you do not really need to go that far since there are modern games that execute that formula flawlessly, such as FE12(New Mystery of the Fire Emblem) and Conquest, especially on the harder difficulties. You might wanna play these in the highest difficulty available from the get go, and then go from there as you unlock new difficulty modes, since these games are mostly about the tactical challenge anyway.

I also think Fire Emblem Awakening is not a bad starting point, despite it getting some flak, so long as you don't mind being given the ability to grind. I'll just repeat what I said in another thread:

Also, Fire Emblem Awakening is not too bad, but the game outside of Lunatic mode plays more like a min-maxing-oriented Munchkin RPG than a tactics game proper, and it is a lot of fun when taken as such, considering the brilliant multiclassing system and possible builds. That said, the game in Lunatic + mode is up there in tacticool goodness and challenge with the best of the series, such as Thracia, Conquest Lunatic, and FE12 Lunatic Reverse.

Word of warning though, the romances and anime tropes in FE:A are cringe-worthy, and it's not like that criticism can simply be brushed aside by saying it is optional, since one of the most fun min-maxing elements of the game(coming up with OP optimized children) is gated behind that aspect of the game.

But considering how much praise Conquest gets without being much better in that regard, I'd daresay people can look past that kind of thing and enjoy the game for the merits that I described so long as they understand it is not a conventional FE game outside of Lunatic mode. Whether it is a good introduction to newbies or not is debatable. If anything the game has the most complete all-in-one package of the series. You can start playing it in the easier modes where you can grind and min-max, get hooked and immersed, and then, once you understand the system, you can tackle Lunatic, which should put you up to speed with the hardcore tactical aspect of the series.

If you are able to stomach the game's presentation/writing, you are probably going to like it as much as any FE, and perhaps more since it is the most versatile experience in the series, successfully offering more than merely tactics, while also delivering that in spades (in Lunatic and +).

I think coming from dungeon crawlers you'd enjoy the class-change system in Awakening and the way it allows you to accumulate skills from your different class changes, though the game gives you a limited amount of slots for your skills like Stranger of Sword City. Also, the spell system in this series, and magic in general is nowhere near as interesting as in Wiz-likes, and there is also no chargen, not here and not (as far as I know) anywhere in the series, so in that sense it is more like Dungeon Travelers 2 where you have to plan builds with the characters you are given. But there are a lot of characters, so you do have a few options. Bear in mind that at the end of the day, even though character and squad building can be fun in this series, the focus has always been on tactical combat, so you wanna try getting into that aspect of it at some point in order to really know if you are into the series, since taken as a min-maxing RPG, though fun for a while, its appeal is bound to wear off, especially if you are coming from games that put much more emphasis on that and do it better. As I said, enjoy the game for its character system for a while, and then, once you have mastered it, try Lunatic(where there is no grind) and then Lunatic +, and get into the tactics side of things. Doing that you run the gamut of pretty much everything that the series generally offers within a single, coherent ruleset.

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia may be a bit of an eccentric starting point, but it does have some "dungeon crawling" elements, though exceedingly simplistic. The story is by far the most enjoyable of all the modern entries, if you care about that kind of thing. You'll perhaps be too spoiled by all the stuff the other games offer to enjoy this one's rather simple overall systems and design, so it might be worth trying first for that reason, as it is an enjoyable little game in its own right, and it has the best overall presentation.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Ahh, sry bro, had a few microissues in real life such as vacation, moving, much work and severe path of exile addiction.

Im giving you the bullet points as free super demo:

Pros:
-insta death mechanic that is implemented in a well thought through way. Classes are unique enough so you want to keep them alive, but you are never too fucked if you lose one. You get a steady supply with appropriately leveled successors throughout the campaign
-fast, crisp, simple yet deep combat design
-the game always informs you really well with combat statistics before you anticipate a move, so you can calculate exactly the risks youre going to take.
-good map design with varied mission goals and sidequests

So-so:
-plot is sufficient to keep you going. You always know where you stand in your quest and you always have a certain goal. Its standard fare ridden with clichee but its alright.
-cast of characters is varied and some have quite interesting background stories. I was a tiny bit sad for some companions who died a gruesome death for my cause. Still, every single one is practically a walking clichee.
-rng sometimes really fucks you in the ass and you feel like your butthole is sore without being able to prevent similar situations in the future. I put it here nonetheless since, as i mentioned, you know your risks

Bad
-the dialogue. Especially everything the protagonist says. Its clichee over 9000
-overly long FORCED tutorial campaign that is way too easy and actually made me quit the game the first time i tried it cause i thought the whole game is like this. Wtf japs...
-you cannot choose higher difficulties until you played through the whole game. Wtf japs....
-some recruitments and sidegoals are pretty obscure. You have to talk with a certain character to certain npcs etc. Its guesswork. Same applies to the bonding system. You can easily ignore it though and simply play the game without those features.

Anyways, was a nice experience and im looking forward to the newer entries a bit more now since most people complain about the plot of those, and i wouldnt shed too many tears if it changes from overrated shit to shit.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fire Emblem (or Fire Emblem 7) for the GBA. Then play the other good ones, which is basically the rest of the series aside from Awakening, Fates:Birthright, and the first two games on the NES. The order only matters if the sequel ties into the prequel. Like 6 is a prequel of 7, but 7 has a better learning curve. The GC/Wii games are also related as is the two DS titles. Other than that, have at it.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, so I picked up Fire Emblem Conquest

1/ Skip all the dialogue and cutscenes. All of them. I kept wondering if there's something I'd need to know for the actual combat missions, or whatever. No. It is fucking weeaboo retardo bullshit that is frankly embarrassing to watch for more than three seconds. I don't even use a couple characters like Charlotte because what the fuck here's an axe wielding murderer with gigantic boobs going TEE HEE OH I DONT KNOW WHATS GOT OVER ME THERES BLOOD! And the fucking main story jesus christ "FATHER YOU KEEP MURDERING ALL THESE PEOPLE AND YOUR FACE LOOKS LIKE A ZOMBIE AND YOU KEEP DOING EVIL LAUGHS BUT YOU'RE A GOOD FELLOW RIGHT? RIGHT?" dear fucking god it's not "alright" every single line drips with 12 year old writing their first anime fanfiction

2/ My main issue with Fire Emblem as a whole is that difficulty only really comes from your desire not to get a single unit killed, and the difficulty of keeping everyone alive in turn comes from not making a single mistake. I'd prefer to fight twice the number of enemies and get to the finish line with 3 dudes alive (I guess I could try Nightmare/Casual, but I think it'd just be easy mode). Combine that with the fact that the new doubling mechanics + bonding mechanics etc are pretty obscure, at least to me, and it just means I'm starting the same mission 10 times even though I'm beating it easily every time, because one bad move and one dude is dead.

In general though, it's great. As Doktor Best says it's crisp and fast, the character/classes are varied, maps are good, and it's among the more challenging of FEs for what it's worth.

spekkio

Arcane
I've started with FE3 (Snes) which is remake of FE1 for NES with additional campaign. Liked it a lot, looking forward to playing FE4 and following ones (to witness the moe decline firsthand).

Delterius

Arcane
No. It is fucking weeaboo retardo bullshit that is frankly embarrassing to watch for more than three seconds. I don't even use a couple characters like Charlotte because what the fuck here's an axe wielding murderer with gigantic boobs going TEE HEE OH I DONT KNOW WHATS GOT OVER ME THERES BLOOD! And the fucking main story jesus christ "FATHER YOU KEEP MURDERING ALL THESE PEOPLE AND YOUR FACE LOOKS LIKE A ZOMBIE AND YOU KEEP DOING EVIL LAUGHS BUT YOU'RE A GOOD FELLOW RIGHT? RIGHT?"
To be honest I approach it all like its a Red Letter Media episode.

Delterius

Arcane
No. It is fucking weeaboo retardo bullshit that is frankly embarrassing to watch for more than three seconds. I don't even use a couple characters like Charlotte because what the fuck here's an axe wielding murderer with gigantic boobs going TEE HEE OH I DONT KNOW WHATS GOT OVER ME THERES BLOOD! And the fucking main story jesus christ "FATHER YOU KEEP MURDERING ALL THESE PEOPLE AND YOUR FACE LOOKS LIKE A ZOMBIE AND YOU KEEP DOING EVIL LAUGHS BUT YOU'RE A GOOD FELLOW RIGHT? RIGHT?"
To be honest I approach it all like its a Red Letter Media episode.
Holy shit scratch that.

Now that I actually got around to finishing Conquest I can say I've never been so ambivalent towards a game in my life.

Apparently the developers hired a professional, had him write the first draft and then ditched him for their in-house writers. The people responsible for Awakening.

And Conquest's story is actively painful. I'm a weaboo and this is unbearable. The Protagonist is the most pathetic Lord in all of Fire Emblem. I want him to die.

All the while the map design is top notch and the AI actually uses pair-ups against you. Things are always fun and refreshing.

FFS.

Tigranes

Arcane
Let me guess, his/her cocksucking of daddy goes well beyond the conventionally established "here is when hero finally realises bad dude is bad dude right after hobo mcgobbo living in the middle of the desert has figured it out"

I put it on hold around one of the later scenarios with the wind shifting, I'll get back to it soon. But I started skipping on the dialogueshit and never looked back.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The
slime monster
plot element was in the original draft by the manga writer, so he probably shouldn't be let off the hook for the bad plot either

Delterius

Arcane
The
slime monster
plot element was in the original draft by the manga writer, so he probably shouldn't be let off the hook for the bad plot either

Here's the thing.

I don't expect much from a Fire Emblem story. As someone once said, this series is 80% gameplay. The rest is split between Character Designs, Story and snazzy Animations. Hell, 'young and naive but principled Prince takes on the Evil Empire' probably summarizes 10 out of the 14 entries into the series. Its one of those 'play an Anime' type of games. But Conquest is much less than a mediocre adventure story. Its downright bizarre. The only way I can excuse this is with the old adage: 'too many cooks in the kitchen'.

My impression is they wrote Birthright first, with all the worst elements that the series' writing got from Awakening. Then they had to shoehorn their Mary Sue into Conquest and make its story a mirror of the Hoshido path. And of course nothing made sense from the start.

In my opinion, Corrin should have had the potential for two character arcs. Either an anti-hero in Conquest or a Hero in Birthright. He shouldn't have been a squeaky clean person in the Prologue. He should have been a person capable of becoming either a valorous hero for Hoshido or a ruthless conqueror for Nohr. And while we are at it, Nohr doesn't have to be the most over the top Evil Empire in all of Fire Emblem either.

That's it. I can let go of all the shitty writing in the world if at least the protagonist didn't suck donkey balls.
Let me guess, his/her cocksucking of daddy goes well beyond the conventionally established "here is when hero finally realises bad dude is bad dude right after hobo mcgobbo living in the middle of the desert has figured it out"
It went to shit back in chapter 15.

'we have to conquer Hoshido to show everyone Garondorf is a slime monster'

what.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
How do Fire Emblem: Conquest and Fire Emblem: Birthright work? Can I go down either path with either game, or does each game represent a different path? If it's the case that each game is a different path, why would I buy either if I don't even know what the paths are? I'm not going to spoil what each of the paths are before I even buy the game. I've also read that there are DLC paths too? What is this crap?

Ventidius

Arbiter
How do Fire Emblem: Conquest and Fire Emblem: Birthright work? Can I go down either path with either game, or does each game represent a different path? If it's the case that each game is a different path, why would I buy either if I don't even know what the paths are? I'm not going to spoil what each of the paths are before I even buy the game. I've also read that there are DLC paths too? What is this crap?

The intro is the same for both games. However, when you reach chapter 6, you come to a part of the campaign called Branch of Fate in which you have to choose whether to side with Hoshido or Nohr. Naturally, you can only choose the faction that corresponds to the version you are playing, and if you have purchased the other game through the in-game store, you can side with either.

There isn't much in the way of story spoilers as such, as Conquest and Birthright are alternate realities based on the decision made by Corrin/protagonist. That said, some things about the world, lore, and characters will be revealed that are true for all versions.

The only DLC path is Revelation, which is more like another full-blown game/version, in which you choose neither side.

Also if you reach the Branch of Fate on a lower difficulty, you can't pick up the game at the branch and increase the difficulty, but you can do so and lower it, which is why I recommend starting on Hard.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
The story kills brain cells by the second and also gives you herpes, so don't worry about it. From what I've read Birthright is the easier, and Conquest is closer to the classic Fire Emblem difficulty.

The branching is that you either fight for empire X, or empire Y, basically.

Delterius

Arcane
Hallo everybody. Lets discuss the supposed market gauge strategy leak.

In short:

Story

• A Gothic Horror theme. Darker and more mature, but not "M" rated. More like the Jugdral games.
  • Two sides - Humans and Kibaire.
  • Avatar plays a more Villainous role. Camus-like anti-hero.
  • the Fire Emblem - a sundial. Gathers energy from the sun and the moon. Can either empower or destroy the Kibaire. Both Sides are seeking it.
Characters

Humans:

• Alain - Protagonist. Knight Errant class. Uses a Sword. Upholds the dominant religion and firmly believes in it. Learned to see the Kibaire as a threat. His mission is to unite the humans in a war against the Kibaire.
  • Huon - The "Jagen". A laid-back Great Knight. Past his prime. Aids Alain on his mission.
  • Gwendolen - Myrmidon. Self- Proclaimed Kibaire Hunter.
  • Godfrey - Class Unknown. A knight said to resort to extreme measures.
Kibaire:

• Dracul (Avatar) - Vassal Class. Camus-like Anti-hero. Bastard Prince(ss). Might be able to choose personality.
  • Mirela - One of the Red & Green units. Known for their wizard prowess. Optimistic and energetic.
  • Miruna - One of the Red & Green units. Know for their wizard prowess. Quieter and Calmer.
  • Felix - Impaler. Recruited from bandits (Navarre).
Classes

• Knight Errant - Alain's Class. Mounted, Sword. Gains Lances on promotion.
  • Hunter
  • Monk
  • Bard
  • Vassal - Avatar's Class. Player chooses weapon type.
  • Witch
  • Summoner
  • Succubus
  • Imp - functions like a thief.
  • Impaler - Lance using class.
  • Moonshifter/ "Laurel Wreath" - Laguz-like. 3 "tribes". Wolf, Bat, Dragon. More like the Taguel, Wolfskin, and Kitsune.
  • Hippogriff Rider - Flying, Bows. Might be female exclusive.
  • Dark Rider - Mounted, Swords and Axes.
  • Merman - Pirate-like.
  • Phantom - Anima Mage.
  • Vestal - Variation of the cleric.
  • Wizard - New name for dark mages.
Mechanics

• Balance of old and new mechanics. Trying to please both sides of the fanbase.
  • Returning Features:
  • Supports - Marriages, no children.
  • Pair-up
  • Weapon Triangle - Pre-Fates.
  • 3 Types of Magic - Dark, Light, Anima.

• Skills

• Sol and Luna - effects are swapped.

• Wireless multiplayer

• V.S.

• Double Duel - Similar to Awakening's mode.

• Arena - 4 player Free-For-All from the GBA era.

• New Features:

• Day/ Night Cycle - Stronger Monsters appear at night.

• Amiibo - unlock special maps against enemies themed from the map's origin. When beaten, you unlock an S-rank weapon. Elincia's Gambit, Hinoka, Leo (the chapters), and Marth's Embarks are among them.

• Artist - Kotaro Yamada. Drew Lyn and Narcian in FE:Heroes. 3ds style aesthetics. 2D sprites on a 3D environment.

• Full Voice Acting. Avatar's name is skipped.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Most people don't seem to put any stock into it being true.

Either way, it's Fire Emblem - at best it'll have pretty good gameplay and fuck up everything else, which is exactly what happened with Fates.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
GameBoy Advance games where fine. Where did they take a wrong turn? Has they at least kept a good gameplay around?

PC suffers from lack of games like that. You either have Jagged Alliance, which goes full simulation. Or something like Heroes or King's Bounty that goes other way presenting you with global strategy. Disgaea ports is all I can name in that genre.

Endemic

Arcane
The gameplay in FE Fates: Conquest is pretty good, so IS still know how to manage that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom