Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wanting to get into DnD

Gav391

Barely Literate
Hey all,

So I'm keen to get into Dnd, but I don't know anyone who is a DM so I feel like i need to learn it myself and organise a group if I want to play. Any suggestions on how I should start? I read the rule book of DnD 6 I think and it wasn't that helpful. i feel like there is so much more to the game when I have played in the past and on podcasts etc.

Also, if you're in the Sydney area and are keen, hit me up.

Gav

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Get the D&D starter set box, and see if some of your friends want to try. It's more fun to play with friends than strangers when learning the game.

The details of the rulebook will make more sense when you have more experience playing.

7h30n

Augur
Definitely get a starter set if this will be your first time.

With regards to DMing, I really like the advice from The AngryDM. He writes (quite) long, text form posts and has a bit of an "insulting" tone. Usually, each post has a Long Angry Rambling Introduction (tm) which you may skip. Either way, a lot of information can be found in large quantities of text. So if you can stomach it and need some DM advice go for it. I'd start here http://theangrygm.com/jumping-the-screen-how-to-run-your-first-rpg-session/

For some video content, which can be helpful to get the feel of the game and attract (or repel) your friends, I'd recommend Matt Mercer's stuff. He's a voice actor and he plays DnD with his VA friends. You can find the sessions here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i
He also has some DM tips: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT9570U87GhK_20NcbxM43vkom
The main issue with these videos is the fact that they are voice actors. Your sessions will in no way resemble in-game conversations like here. Also, they have a specific gameplay in sessions that they like, which may differ from what you and your friends want to play. If you get into tabletop RPGs (especially as a game master), you'll notice that different players like different styles of play. Some like more action and looting, other prefer more "talky" interaction, etc.
Above session videos are long and DM tips are well, DM specific. For that reason, I always use the extremely short sessions where Vin Diesel joins them to attract new players. They're packed with action and ridiculousness, double points if you and your friends like Vin. Here: https://youtu.be/yLEMb_RIZ3o

Btw, I presume you read the Basic DnD 5ed rules which are free on the official site? (These are fine for starting out)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Go to Roll20 and see if you can find a game to join in a Virtual Tabletop setting. There seems to be tons of D&D 5e games that accept drop-in players. If you really are willing to be the DM/GM of a game then it should be fairly easy to get something going, assuming you know people who want to play too.

As mentioned above, the 5th edition of D&D has a free basic set of PDFs on WotC's website that is more than adequate to get a game started. My suggestion would be to find a couple of short modules to run, if for no other reason than to get the hang of how a typical adventure is setup: Hooks, challenges, complications and climax. The other thing to remember is that when you start out you're going to suck at it; becoming a passable game master takes reps, but don't sweat it and hopefully the people you play with are patient and don't expect you to have mastery of the rules right away, but at least learn the basics of combat and whatever skill/ability resolution mechanics are in the game before you play.

Just remember most of you job is about responding to your player's wacky ideas and schemes. Even if you are running a module, allow enough room for improvisation and resist the urge to think that you are telling a story with a predetermined, beginning, middle and end.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
If you have friends open to playing DnD, and you don't mind playing the DM: Get the starter set and have a party.
If you want to be a player and have friends: Get the starter set and make someone else be the DM. They might like it.
If you have no friends: Check out your local game store. They might have weekly DnD sessions going on, and I'm sure they'll welcome new people.
If you have no friends nor game store: Go on /r/lfg and see if anyone near you or on the internet wants to play. Be sure to sign up for a Roll20 account as well.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you have friends open to playing DnD, and you don't mind playing the DM: Get the starter set and have a party.
If you want to be a player and have friends: Get the starter set and make someone else be the DM. They might like it.
If you have no friends: Check out your local game store. They might have weekly DnD sessions going on, and I'm sure they'll welcome new people.
If you have no friends nor game store: Go on /r/lfg and see if anyone near you or on the internet wants to play. Be sure to sign up for a Roll20 account as well.

Alternatively, if you prefer playing around a table, look for a meetup group for tabletop RPG in your area or something like that (or a RPG club), attend one or several of the sessions, and try to recruit the players you get along best with for your own gaming group (or try to join another).

I was going to say "get Pathfinder instead", but fuck it. Get MYFAROG instead. It will only set you back 12 shekels if you order the Amazon version, and it's made by Varg Vikernes. If that isn't a shining endorsement (in my book, at least) I don't know what is. Also, supplements are 4-5 bucks a pop.

Otherwise try and get D&D 3rd/3.5. That was the high point of the game, and everything made ever since has been pure decline to milk the fans (4th ed. being the nadir, so far).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I was going to say "get Pathfinder instead", but fuck it. Get MYFAROG instead. It will only set you back 12 shekels if you order the Amazon version, and it's made by Varg Vikernes. If that isn't a shining endorsement (in my book, at least) I don't know what is. Also, supplements are 4-5 bucks a pop.

Otherwise try and get D&D 3rd/3.5. That was the high point of the game, and everything made ever since has been pure decline to milk the fans (4th ed. being the nadir, so far).
3e was actually the low point of the game imho. The only thing it does best is allowing for ridiculous character builds, and that's better played in a CRPG than a tabletop game.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Is it possible your local library does D&D or that there's a local game/card shop in your area where you might be able to find a campaign to join? My local library actually does a monthly D&D thing. It's not continuous (each session is a unique adventure with unique characters and different players), which kinda sucks, but it's something. There's also a couple of local card/game shops in my area that host D&D campaigns. One place is 90% tables and basically people just come in during the set night of the week for whatever they're hosting, set up and play. Find a place like that and you can probably find a campaign to be part of...

Mojomancer

Novice
It's not continuous (each session is a unique adventure with unique characters and different players), which kinda sucks, but it's something.
That sounds like a decent way to get a grasp of the rules and how a game should play without having to buy anything or do a lot of reading. Pretty good for beginners.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
It's not continuous (each session is a unique adventure with unique characters and different players), which kinda sucks, but it's something.
That sounds like a decent way to get a grasp of the rules and how a game should play without having to buy anything or do a lot of reading. Pretty good for beginners.

I think that's true, but for experienced players it kinda sucks. It's all very cookie cutter he help new players get into it. The other issue is a lot of kids come to play so you get them wanting to do stupid stuff and making the most craziest suggestions.

*We need to create a distraction to get out of the city because the guards are looking for us*

Kid: Is there a flour warehouse nearby?

Everyone: ...

Kid: Because I think we should light it on fire.

Everyone: ...Haha... No, let's try something that doesn't involve starting a fire.

*5 minutes later after coming up with a plan we walk by a building*

Kid: Can I do a roll to see what kind of building it is?

DM: Yeah, okay.

*kid rolls a 14 on the dice*

DM: It's some kind of warehouse.

Kid: IS IT A FLOUR WAREHOUSE!?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
DM should have said yes, and then watched his expression when he tried to set fire to a warehouse full of roses, petunias and tulips.

"Oh...flour! I see the confusion..."

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Ive been a pretty avid player of D&D (and other tabletops) since the mid 1980s and its one hell of a fun game- I actually got involved while in an AP class in elementary school when our teacher used the game as a teaching tool - As a funny aside it was later banned in high school (even bringing the books) because by that time the whole satanic panic was in full swing and they thought we were going to be sacrificing the virgins at our school...Which we were planning on doing BTW but couldnt find a virgin within 50 miles of Detroit.

Im not sure how one would just 'learn how to play' since its usually something you learn while playing with experienced people. Its the whole 'what came first the chicken or the egg' conundrum.

I ended up teaching my boys and even got the wife to play occasionally and even now that my kids are grown we run small groups occasionally where we sometimes introduce people to the game (with candlelight, an oath to satan and possible blood sacrifice)

My advice to you OP is NOT to try the library thing for reasons I'll not even try to get into- Perhaps look at postings at a game or hobby shop as they sometimes have boards and try to join a static group who knows one another, plays together and at a private home- Ive seen those library groups and they just dont seem fun.

But before even doing that I would suggest looking towards a virtual tabletop like Fantasy Grounds or D20 Pro- I ran a campaign on D20 pro years ago when my oldest was in college and we still wanted our gaming session to continue and it was okay but I would be willing to bet you could use a program like that to play on your own time, find a group that works and learn how to play the game with people who understand it- Plus shop for different groups so you can experience different playstyles- To me LAARPers types and heavy RPers are gay but others prefer that type of game (I like a good balance) and ive been in games that were hours and hours of nothing but playing make believe which I couldnt stomach but to others thats the best way to play...And you will find all sorts attracted to this game for good and for ill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom