Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aren't most of the bugs ironed out? The game's been in Early Access forever.

Look at how often they patched Original Sin before it was enhanced.

1.0.252.0 Jan 30, 2015
1.0.219 Oct 30, 2014
1.0.177 Minor Sept 29, 2014
1.0.177 Sept 19, 2014
1.0.169 Sept 15, 2014
1.0.132 Aug 22, 2014
1.0.130 Aug 21, 2014
1.0.107 Hotfix Aug 11, 2014
1.0.107 Aug 8, 2014
1.0.81 Jul 17, 2014
1.0.78 Jul 16, 2014
1.0.72 Jul 15, 2014
1.0.67 Jul 11, 2014
1.0.63 Jul 10, 2014
1.0.57 Jul 7, 2014
1.0.53 Jul 4, 2014
1.0.51 Jul 3, 2014
1.0.47 Jul 2, 2014
1.0.41 Jul 1, 2014

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah yes, the Larian daily patching parade. I remember people thought it was pretty cool that they had the balls to do that while inXile took forever to release patches for the Wasteland 2 Early Access because QA and shit.

D:OS 2 seems more controlled so far though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looking back, it's pretty amazing they did that without breaking things for a lot of people like Cleve did. Guess a single 'thal can't measure up to dozens of Belgians.

Black

Arcane
21543848_1578908648835994_5927159344676060924_o.jpg
No, really, is this a joke? What is that? A companion? A caricature?

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Couldn't get into the first one at all but just finished the Alpha and loved it.

I think the balance is wrong though, especially very early on. When you're level 1-3 it's just impossible to take on anyone who is even one level above you and there seemed to be a real shortage of ways to get XP so it ultimately turned into a case of searching to find the weakest possible group on the map and then fight them and repeat. Later on, once you've got a few abilities (especially healing, teleport, etc) it starts to get more more reasonable. I mean, I'm playing on easy for christ's sake, I shouldn't be having that many wipes.

Ran into a couple of things that surprised/confused me. I didn't realise there was permadeath and managed to let one of the four available companions die before he joined my party meaning I had to go through the entire alpha with a party of only 3. Some enemies can't climb ladders and have only melee attacks (such as dogs) so if you teleport them up ladders they are stuck unless someone moves them back. I'm still not completely clear on whether there is anything special about your character compared to the others with origin stories? If you decided to wanted to make Lohse the main character halfway through would that be possible? How does stealth work, for example? - seems like there are a lot of abilities designed to support pre-battle tactical positioning of rogues.

I also wish the world map was better. Often I lost important NPCs - maybe that's because I was expecting quest markers though.

I wish there was a list of all available skills so you'd have some idea of what putting a point in geomancer gets you, for example. In any event since there are no hints as to which NPCs sell which skill (and forgot/couldn't be bothered to check all NPCs) I never found any geomancer skillbooks anyway.

Also some of the status effects are baffling. Decaying for example, I just thought it was poison and tried to heal it away like poison but it seems to invert things. Also I only discovered by accident that you can bless burning characters to make holy fire.

Anyway, deep game. Like XCOM but with far more interesting abilties and enemies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When you're level 1-3 it's just impossible to take on anyone who is even one level above you and there seemed to be a real shortage of ways to get XP so it ultimately turned into a case of searching to find the weakest possible group on the map and then fight them and repeat.

This is how Divinity 2 and D:OS went, it's Working as Designed. Level is the most important stat.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
When you're level 1-3 it's just impossible to take on anyone who is even one level above you and there seemed to be a real shortage of ways to get XP so it ultimately turned into a case of searching to find the weakest possible group on the map and then fight them and repeat.

This is how Divinity 2 and D:OS went, it's Working as Designed. Level is the most important stat.

What is the point of that though? It's not particularly interesting as a game mechanic and it totally disappears once you get proper armor and abilities

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What is the point of that though? It's not particularly interesting as a game mechanic and it totally disappears once you get proper armor and abilities
Provides illusion of nonlinearity while forcing you to play things in the right order, allows you to stomp on lower level opponents if you leave a few.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think the balance is wrong though, especially very early on. When you're level 1-3 it's just impossible to take on anyone who is even one level above you and there seemed to be a real shortage of ways to get XP so it ultimately turned into a case of searching to find the weakest possible group on the map and then fight them and repeat. Later on, once you've got a few abilities (especially healing, teleport, etc) it starts to get more more reasonable. I mean, I'm playing on easy for christ's sake, I shouldn't be having that many wipes.
This really irked me actually. I'm not sure if I'm missing a completely obvious way to do things, but early game is kind of suicide to go into battle the first time you're playing through the game. Anyway, I'm gonna call starving players early on for exp and forcing higher level content shit design.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, I wish you could go anywhere whenever you wanted. They could like scale enemies to your level or something.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I wish you could go anywhere whenever you wanted. They could like scale enemies to your level or something.

The way it tended to happen in the old days: the first one or two level ups were quick, then it'd slow down and you'd have multiple areas tuned for the same level.

Lambach

Arcane

I wouldn't say that's how it was with D:OS. Taking on a (smaller) group of higher-level enemies was quite possible in the early game too, you just had to be more creative with the terrain, you had to abuse the shit out of barrels filled with oil and water (early areas have so many of those, while later ones next to nil) and you had to pick the optimal early-game spells, like the spider summon thingy, teleportation etc.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Swen said that in OS2 thr most deadly EA encounter was Migo. That's a single level 4 enemy with a permanent Weakened debuff for -50% damage. Most player probably fought him around level 2. If your positioning is bad he can easily kill one or two guys on turn one.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a tiny hope that local coop will make use of two-monitor setup. And I mean a very tiny hope - just would be a nice surprise if it did.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Swen said that in OS2 thr most deadly EA encounter was Migo. That's a single level 4 enemy with a permanent Weakened debuff for -50% damage. Most player probably fought him around level 2. If your positioning is bad he can easily kill one or two guys on turn one.

Yeah he fucking mashed me. He's really easy to find as well, right on the way to the beaches that some early quest encourages you to find. IIRC I was looking for some lizard NPC at the time. I took a few wipes at level 2 or something before I said "nevermind" and decided to go walk somewhere else.

Then when I came back I mashed him very easily without having to do much work. Anyway I don't want to emphasise this too much because once I hit level 4 or 5 or so this silliness just stopped completely battles started to be determined by my play instead of just my level.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It seems from the EA that the Origins are fully customizable character creation-wise, is that correct? The origin is basically just cosmetic if you want it to be?

Mojomancer

Novice
You guys getting it on steam or gog?
I stupidly picked the Steam code when Kickstarter backer emails went out.

I wouldn't say that's how it was with D:OS. Taking on a (smaller) group of higher-level enemies was quite possible in the early game too, you just had to be more creative with the terrain, you had to abuse the shit out of barrels filled with oil and water (early areas have so many of those, while later ones next to nil) and you had to pick the optimal early-game spells, like the spider summon thingy, teleportation etc.
Being able to use all sorts of things from the environment in combat in the early game areas made for some hilarious fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom