Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
Octavius pretty much nails it.

From the Champions of Krynn manual:

"Rangers normally start the game with more HP than other fighter types. They do extra damage versus giant type monsters."

A small nitpick is that you are supposed to dual the ranger once he has gotten to level 9; if you dual earlier the spells while wearing armor thing isn't supposed to work. I haven't tried it with each game, though.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Forgot about the bonus against giants, which can be really handy in some of the games (like Pools of Darkness) when you're fighting an army of giants at a time. There were some combats where my Ranger could murder them faster than my Magic-User with a Wand of Fireballs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And if you need extra offensive output you give your cleric wands/scrolls. Usually quite a few wands in most of the Gold Box games from what I recall. Wand of Defoliation versus Bits o' Moander!

Null Null

Arbiter
True. However, one nonintuitive bit is that anyone can use a Wand of Magic Missiles (a trio of thieves use them on you in Pool of Radiance) or Defoliation.

Saxon1974

Prophet
GBC restore spells:
Click STORE SPELLS to store the currently memorized spells and RESTORE SPELLS to get them back. If you change your memorized spells, you have to store them again.
The Krynn-games are problematic as the moon positions affect the number of available bonus spell slots. Bonus spells vs moon positions is not implemented in GBC, storing simply saves the currently memorized spells, including bonus spells.

Item corrupting in Champions:
There was a bug in GBC before v2.33 where autoidentify was always on. This shouldn't corrupt the items itself but use the latest version still. Autoidentify is off by default.

GBC fix-command:
This simply sets hit points to the max. There's no spell memorization / casting simulation / camp interruption as that would have been very hard thing to do.

Even without the full fix option, the map function now is worth a giant pile of gold. Thanks for the info

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Please tell me how to cast Prayer pre-combat. I'm supposed to do so according to the manual, I think. However, whenever I do so, the bonus disappears the second I start combat. (E.g. when you know you will confront the evil curate in the SW corner of Throtl; I cast it right before entering the room, 'prayer(3)' appears at the GBC window, but disappears immediately during combat.

...or should I turn search off? will experiment

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Turn search off. Taking steps in search mode means that you are taking ten minutes per step. Even one step can run out the duration on some spells. Standard mode only takes one minute per step.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fun fact: Ray's The Realm Series modules knows you would LOVE to pre-buff your party before a large combat. And will actually remove ALL those buffs before a combat. :salute:

Elwro

Arcane
Well, if the large combat is deducible from the info given to the player, I can't see how disabling his buffs is a good design decision, because the player is doing something sensible.

Doing this before fights the existence of which you cannot figure out, so that the player does not quit to reload the game, is something else of course.

It will take a few lifetimes to play through those Realm modules, it seems :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, if the large combat is deducible from the info given to the player, I can't see how disabling his buffs is a good design decision, because the player is doing something sensible.

Doing this before fights the existence of which you cannot figure out, so that the player does not quit to reload the game, is something else of course.

It will take a few lifetimes to play through those Realm modules, it seems :)

I should have more clearly stated, a *number* of battles you cannot pre-buff before them (You CAN, but wait.......). But not ALL.

Every single one of the encounters that you cannot pre-buff, can be finished.

The first time this happened, there was this one door I KNEW had to have this BIG ASS BATTLE (based off of clues and what the party could notice), once we enter. So of course (like ALL players) I went LOL and pre-buffed everyone, and walked through....

Suddenly, he took control of the party, and had them move a series of steps (to completely remove all of the LOL buffs). It was perfectly in context of the encounter.

I then thought immediately Well done sir. You know this game very well.... :salute:

I then had to think very very clearly, and utilize all the spells an abilities I had left then.

And I won. The first try.

THAT was one of the best moment's in a LONG time I have ever had...

Elwro

Arcane
I'm having a great time with CoK + GBC, but an idea for another GBC function just occurred to me. Sorry if it was already suggested or is impossible to realise.

So, there are quite a few important combat messages the player might miss; some of those appear at the bottom of the screen, but most in the center-right area. I know you are supposed to fiddle with the game's speed, but I haven't found a good setting yet and I keep missing them. Would it be possible to introduce a message log as an optional separate GBC window?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If your speed is too high, it could be due to the cycle speed in DOSBox. For the Gold-Box games (any of them, including Unlimited Adventures), I tend to run them around 2500-3000 cycles, or the text is just too fast, even at the lowest setting. You might try altering that.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I set it to 3000 because if it's slower I find the time of spell effects quite tedious ("Baaz is unaffected" etc) :)

Sacibengala

Prophet
Hey, in the GOG pool of radiance, on character creation, is it normal if I can't move the keys down or up? I can only select dwarf, fighter, loyal good, etc.
There is a button that you can move. I don't remember exactly, but I think it is page up and page down.

Repressed Homosexual
Hey, in the GOG pool of radiance, on character creation, is it normal if I can't move the keys down or up? I can only select dwarf, fighter, loyal good, etc.
There is a button that you can move. I don't remember exactly, but I think it is page up and page down.

It might be why I can't move it, I have a small Thinkpad keyboard. So this game can only be played on a full-fledged desktop keyboard?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom