Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Stormlands (the canceled Xbox exclusive game) detailed with screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultimately it's Obsidian's job to come up with a compelling game, and obviously they haven't done that. It looks fagotty and plastic and the entire concept is underwhelming as fuck. "A world with magic storms" - wow man I am so hooked. Not.

Note that the plasticy Xbox 360 pitch demo you're seeing in the article is what got them the contract in the first place.

Mojomancer

Novice
Microsoft definitely take a lot of blame, especially all those stories about MS execs coming up with Big Revolutionary Ideas that Obsidian didn't know what the fuck do to with, that shit is hilarious.

That said, it was also Microsoft who were paying for this whole party, and by the sound of it they weren't exactly pinching pennies, they were willing to throw shitload more money at it if the game really caught their attention.

Ultimately it's Obsidian's job to come up with a compelling game, and obviously they haven't done that. It looks fagotty and plastic and the entire concept is underwhelming as fuck. "A world with magic storms" - wow man I am so hooked. Not.

Agreed. It probably didn't help that the game looks like it's been deep fried in Vaseline.

The article said something about how the collapse of this game eventually led to Paradox picking up Tyranny. So I guess it worked out not too bad for Obsidian in the end.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why does the main character look like He-Man, but with brown hair? When even MICROSOFT says it's too generic and uninteresting (for a console game to boot) you know something's up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why does the main character look like He-Man, but with brown hair? When even MICROSOFT says it's too generic and uninteresting (for a console game to boot) you know something's up.

It's a reskin of what'shisname from DS3.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Note that the plasticy Xbox 360 pitch demo you're seeing in the article is what got them the contract in the first place.

Yeah it doesn't look that awful for a 360 game and certainly would be significantly pimped out for a next-gen console.

But either way, publisher is paying out of their pocket for this. Kinect integration and some cloud computing nonsense sound completely retarded features for an RPG, but if those are parameters publisher demands, then this is what you do, or you get your contract canceled.

I remember Dead Rising 3 had some stupid ass features, like zombies would detect your location if you farted loudly in your room, because Kinect would pick up the sound. Dumbest fucking idea ever, but it obviously convinced the MS guys and the game got made.

jungl

Augur
Looks like one of those old third person platformers with funky camera angles and rage inducing platforming. I wish this genre didn't die like if we could replace all those indie shit rpg/roguelike/visual novels games on steam with it I would in a heart beat.

Dux

Arcane
"An open door can accomodate two... :cool:"

Is that like a euphemism or what? So they're obviously scissoring each other and the lead character looks like he stepped right out of Nickelodeon's closet. The world surely wept at the loss of this game.

Mojomancer

Novice
"An open door can accomodate two... :cool:"

Is that like a euphemism or what? So they're obviously scissoring each other and the lead character looks like he stepped right out of Nickelodeon's closet. The world surely wept at the loss of this game.

How would Josh balance sex scenes in an ARPG?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Windows 10 tho :negative:

Windows 10 LTSB,Enterprise edition is pretty damn good,it comes without all the shitty ''features'' that windows 10 usually comes with and it's smooth as fuck,it's basically the windows 7 of windows 10.

Of course numb nuts don't know about this version so they have to fight their way through all the bullshit the vanilla has to offer.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Nothing of value was lost, it seems.

Of course not, this was supposed to be a console-exclusive game.

The game might as well not exist at all.

An XBone launch title would likely have made it to PC as well. Windows 10 store-exclusive at first, like Quantum Break.
Think this implies it was going to be on PC:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kathryn-susoeff-8608636/

Flou

Arbiter
The incompetence at Microsoft is quite dizzying. They didn't need to reach for the stars with their 1st exclusives, they just needed to have those. Looking at their exclusives games list is quite sad, there just aren't that many. Instead of force feeding Obsidian ideas that weren't really doable, they should have just let Obsidian do what they do best.

Hard to say if Stormlands getting cancelled was a blessing in disguise for Obsidian. If Stormlands wasn't cancelled, would they have gone for Kickstarter to create Pillars of Eternity?

Quillon

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The downside is that Stormlands had a far more unique setting than Pillars. :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tyranny's would be a fairer point of comparison.

It was different, sure, but not Stormlands different.

I worked on a fantasy setting that used Syriac and Bulgarian as linguistic starting points. It was a pretty weird world in a lot of ways and the naming didn't help most people get into it.

I have had the pleasure to work on a project where I just got to do whatever I wanted and that was pretty cool. I don't know how many people would have played that weird-ass game, but the publisher wasn't really concerned, so I went wild. Very few projects are like that.

Quillon

Arcane

pomenitul

Arbiter
The downside is that Stormlands had a far more unique setting than Pillars. :P

Tyranny's would be a fairer point of comparison.
Stormlands was more unique than Tyranny or Tyranny was more unique than Pillars?

I'd argue that the latter is true. As for the former, I'm not sure that Tyranny's setting, despite the game's numerous issues, pales next to what we've just seen of Stormlands's.

Mojomancer

Novice
I'd argue that the latter is true. As for the former, I'm not sure that Tyranny's setting, despite the game's numerous issues, pales next to what we've just seen of Stormlands's.
I can agree with that.

Stormlands' setting sounds interesting but I'm not sure I like the idea of a console ARPG from Obsidian.

I wonder if they will reuse anything from Stormlands in their unannounced game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom