Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, whether I agree with the sentiment or not, you really are a low-quality poster. I mean, read that comment. It sounds so annoying. As if you were underage. Try and sound more mature.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whoever said you'll like it if you enjoyed Nu-Com and hate it otherwise was correct.
The weird thing is I did like XCOM1 a lot but this iteration is just pure shit. Much like the switch from Civ5 to Civ6. Even if you accept in year heart that Firaxis will never ever make a "real" successor to UFO or Civ, this is still bad. It goes against the genre and the spirit of the original games. UFO had no story to speak of. It had no soldier customization to speak of. It didn't need them in the former's case and people made their own little stories in the latter case.

e: Really I'm just venting, I don't mean to detract from anyone else's enjoyment of the game. I wonder how fucking hard it is to remake UFO as-is though. I mean goddamn.

I also dislike the focus on special characters and cutscenes, and I don't think the focus on customization was really worth it:
It is nice to have you soldiers look cool to you for sure, but I think having traits like Battle Brothers and a better battle log for all the major feats of each soldier would have been much more impactful (the Photobooth kind of works like this I suppose, but it would be nice to have "souvenirs" of the previous battles without having to waste time with it).
They also botched it when they tried to make the geoscape livelier: the reason why it felt empty was because it was only a glorified random mission generator, while the original had aliens dispatching ships on missions without caring about making sure you'd get exactly 3 missions to choose from every month: They gave the impression they were following their own agenda.

The avatar project is a step in the right direction actually, as it is supposed to be Alien driven, but it does not really rely on them succeeding in anything (while the ones from 94 had to first send unintercepted supply ships to establish bases).

But I don't agree about XCOM2 being worse than the 1st: I think the time constraints and the randomized levels made the game much less about methodically avancing at a snail pace, and memorizing every layout of the hardest maps (cemetery, construction yard, all of the bomb defusal missions...).
And the softer time constraints of the xpack make much more sense (advent picking up crates before you do, massive reinforcement coming in), and add some welcome variety to the formula.
The extra environment, which are much more confined than the base game also offer a nice change of pace IMO.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You know, whether I agree with the sentiment or not, you really are a low-quality poster. I mean, read that comment. It sounds so annoying. As if you were underage. Try and sound more mature.
It is only annoying because you like the game. True fans of Xcom agree with it I am sure. I am sure Bethesda fans find annoying any bad comments about their games as well. Maybe you missed your forums. You might want to go here: https://forums.2k.com/forumdisplay.php?621-XCOM-2 if you are just looking for praised for this shitty game and company.

Mazisky

Magister
It is only annoying because you like the game. True fans of Xcom agree with it I am sure. I am sure Bethesda fans find annoying any bad comments about their games as well. Maybe you missed your forums. You might want to go here: https://forums.2k.com/forumdisplay.php?621-XCOM-2 if you are just looking for praised for this shitty game and company.

Ufo defense is my favourite game of all times

Xcom 2 is different for sure, but it is the closest thing avaiable right now that's not a bad looking reskin (xenonauts) and it is a fun and rich game by is own.
One of the best turn based game of the last years, acclaimed by all except some random typical nerd hater.
Deal with it

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
endless story cutscenes

One for the Xpack tutorial. Another for chosen intro. The final one.

You must be really retarded to think that 3 cutscenes into a 40 hours campaign can ruin a game. Go to a psychiatrist.

It's the principle. A game like XCOM doesn't need story at all, especially a story that revolves around completely unknown characters. Firaxis started this shit with the story DLCs back in XCOM1 so I guess I should have seen this development coming but still... I just don't think a dev like them should be allowed to handle venerable IPs like UFO or Civ.

azimuth

Educated
Are The Lost ever a challenge? I'm genuinely curious, because they seem way too easy to kill.
I'm not a good player, but I find the Lost are challenging in certain circumstances. In one early mission, I had a timer where I was racing Advent for crates scattered around the map. Each turn, two crates somewhere would turn red and I'd have to get to them in one turn or Advent would steal them. The Hunter Chosen was also following me around, adding extra pressure. And I had four squad members. I didn't have much time to shoot the Lost, so their numbers eventually got ridiculous, felt like a zombie film. They hit hard enough in the early game to be noticeable.

In general, I really didn't enjoy new X-Com 1 nor X-Com 2, but with this expansion X-Com 2 is more fun than any of the new ones I've played. I've always been more of a Xenonauts guy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are The Lost ever a challenge? I'm genuinely curious, because they seem way too easy to kill.
I'm not a good player, but I find the Lost are challenging in certain circumstances. In one early mission, I had a timer where I was racing Advent for crates scattered around the map. Each turn, two crates somewhere would turn red and I'd have to get to them in one turn or Advent would steal them. The Hunter Chosen was also following me around, adding extra pressure. And I had four squad members. I didn't have much time to shoot the Lost, so their numbers eventually got ridiculous, felt like a zombie film. They hit hard enough in the early game to be noticeable.

In general, I really didn't enjoy new X-Com 1 nor X-Com 2, but with this expansion X-Com 2 is more fun than any of the new ones I've played. I've always been more of a Xenonauts guy.
I just had a mission where I needed to assassinate their field commander and map was full of Lost. Since most were attacking me I could not get to mission on time. From what I read, they are 70% to attack you and only 30% to attack advent on the map. Another "brilliant" Firaxis design.

Mazisky

Magister

I just had a mission where I needed to assassinate their field commander and map was full of Lost. Since most were attacking me I could not get to mission on time. From what I read, they are 70% to attack you and only 30% to attack advent on the map. Another "brilliant" Firaxis design.

If it was 30% xcom and 70% advent you would complain that Firaxis dumbed down difficulty.

If it was 50/50 you would complain that Firaxis is boring and can't spice things up.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

They assumed that people would have spent a long time pimping out their squad, making them more colorful and attractive to the zombies.

btw, is the conceal ranger completely obsolete now compared to a Reaper, or do you still get some?

bonescraper

Reapers aren't that good actually. They can stay stealthed for long, but their damage is shit. They're best used to scout ahead, they're shit in a fight.

azimuth

Educated
I didn't have much time to shoot the Lost, so their numbers eventually got ridiculous, felt like a zombie film.
Your problem is that you have not realized shooting lost is a free action.
Well, killing Lost is a free action until you run out of ammo. If you miss or don't do enough damage to kill it, you lost an AP. Meanwhile, some of the Lost have a lot more HP than it takes to kill them in one shot and I need both APs to get to the red box and/or away from the Hunter Chosen's sniper rifle.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Just add the scientist and intel with console, problem solved.
Shitty design so cheat?

There is a third option in this game, in advanced options while starting a new game you can select to start the game with one of the 3 special soldiers and their HQ but you still lose XP, intel and scientist.
But on the other hand, you can start buildign the resistance ring ASAP, and start with a hero ally instead of only rookies.
I don't think it is worse playing without the mission overall.
You don't need early Resistance Ring and the Lost and Found mission is pretty early. And by saying you it is not worse just proves you are not playing Legendary/Ironman.
Btw, I do play Legend, but I am curious about how you can play Ironman. In 30h of play time, I had my ironman game crash deleted twice already. I started with early Lab. Still not sure it was worth it but at least, I got gauss weapons pretty early.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I made it through my Classic (Veteran?) difficulty run all the way to the end on Ironman but there were 10+ crashes total; I just got lucky the save wasn't deleted.

If I ever play again it'll be Legendary, but on Honestman (i.e., you can save, but only to ward against savegame deletion.)

Honestly, kind of weird how unstable the game still is. The crash always happens when I am using a melee attack of any kind, but not all the time.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I really got unlucky then :(
But I suppose it would have been a long shot playing LI for the first playthrough anyway.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I think it's my older graphics card, really. This game is horribly optimized and while a lot of stuff that's newer will run on medium or better on my 960M, this will be just about playable on Low.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Not a single crash so far. I got common message about color pattern from Win7 but that's a common crap that never affected anything.

Mazisky

Magister
There are two know issues:

Usb devices fuck up the game, so unlink those

Windows update give problems too, be sure to finish all updates on hold.

I had massive frame drops and crashes then i solved

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom