Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only reward is exp. The dwarf merchant's only unique item is a necklace that gives +10 mental resistance, everything else can be found/bought elsewhere. As for the material, you can't even do anything with it unless you have the soldier's peak dlc IIRC.

Googled it, he sells a skill book and those stack, so there's that, and, yeah, the star metal is for the DLC smith. It's either these kinds of events which Infinitron described or random JRPG-like fights. Or a combination of both like DA:O's.

Sentinel

Arcane
Was there rape in PoE?

I don't want to spoil it for you in case you decide to play it.
Oqi5SRC.png

I played enough of it don't worry. I remember the quest with the Salty Mast whore but that wasn't exactly rape.

Quillon

Arcane
While playing I haven't noticed the days were 27 hours but whenever it gets mentioned it bugs me for some reason. Why 27 hours?

Quillon

Arcane
There are too much similarities, making days 27 hours is just absurd for that reason. Why the fuck would they cut their day to 27 pieces to tell the time? I could understand if they had cut it to 10 or 20 or some round or special number(there are 11 gods so lets divide our day to 11 pieces etc) What practical reason would justify 27 hours?..btw. do they know its 27 hours or its 27 hours to us relatively? .... fuck it.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are too much similarities, making days 27 hours is just absurd for that reason. Why the fuck would they cut their day to 27 pieces to tell the time? I could understand if they had cut it to 10 or 20 or some round or special number(there are 11 gods so lets divide our day to 11 pieces etc) What practical reason would justify 27 hours?..btw. do they know its 27 hours or its 27 hours to us relatively? .... fuck it.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-second-a-second-long

Iznaliu

Arbiter

Maybe it was some sort of holy number.

Prime Junta

I wondered about this way back when.

Best ex-post-facto explanation I could think of was that the Engwithans (or whoever came before them) used a base-3 system for arithmetic. That would make 27 a nice round number, 1000.

That makes about as much sense as the explanation for our weird numbers for time (24 hours, 60 minutes, 60 seconds).

The Bishop

Cipher
I wondered about this way back when.

Best ex-post-facto explanation I could think of was that the Engwithans (or whoever came before them) used a base-3 system for arithmetic. That would make 27 a nice round number, 1000.

That makes about as much sense as the explanation for our weird numbers for time (24 hours, 60 minutes, 60 seconds).
Base 60 or base 12 (*2) aren't that weird. They are very practical for divisions without having to deal with fractions. 60 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - that's pretty handy and makes a lot of sense. 27 however is super unwieldy for no good reason.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Prime Junta
don't we use base 10 because of our 10 fingers or something like that?

so maybe engwithians had 3 dicks or something.

also that link above concerning why a second is a second long was quite interesting.

Prime Junta

so maybe engwithians had 3 dicks or something.

Bingo.

More seriously, I can think of any number of damn-fool explanations for why a culture inventing a calendar would settle on base-3. Three has mystical significance in lots of cultures -- the Christian trinity, the Hindu trimurti, the prevalence it has in various social and political constructs (the trifold division of power, the triumvirate, etc. etc.), all the superstitions related to things coming in threes, and so on and so forth. All it would take is a geometer and a ruler with a thing for threes for that sort of thing to catch on, unwieldy or not.

(Even so, the 27-hour day annoyed me from the start, more so the fact that they didn't give any explanation for it; I have a strong suspicion the real reason is that they slapped it on just to be different and forgot about it.)

Quillon

Arcane
Pallegina is a paladin of...what?

Its nice that Serafen's special subclass is Cipher, Barb is the way to go again for my main, free from overlapping with companion classes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ugh, none of the companions look/sound remotely interesting, with the possible exception of Serafen. Why wasn't Xoti a priest of Skaen? I guess I'll do what I did in PoE1 - take only Serafen and the rest custom-made. Pallegina has potential. Aloth can become interesting if he does something with his station as leader of the Leaden Key.

Magnificate

Novice
Aloth might be the leader of Leaden Key, but then again he might not be the leader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom