Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is the idea of GTA, a game that has everything, a mistake?

Ezekiel

Arcane
GTA V has gunplay, but it's very limited, I guess in order to be more accessible for people who aren't just playing it for that. It has no shoulder swapping, making it impossible to see enemies when you're going around a right corner. There's no way to evade. The dodge roll only works when you're aiming over the shoulder, and you can only roll left and right. Max Payne 3 had a 360 degree roll. You can shoot without the zoomed in OTS view, but your character will take a moment to point his gun. The animations are sluggish.

GTA V has driving, but it's made to be as accessible as possible. Vehicles are very easy to steer and you never have to worry about your car flipping onto its roof, since you can magically flip it back. Traffic is super thin, so that you can drive really fast all the time and are never required to carefully weave between cars in a chase. This is partly so that you can get to your next mission quicker. You'll be doing a lot of commuting. The other cars drive at 30 mph max, even on freeways, so you won't see any cool crashes.

GTA V has multiplayer, but because it's a story-driven open world game, you'll spend a lot of time in lobbies and looking at loading screens. Deathmatches are almost never playable because they require an exact number of participants. It can't just be you and a stranger. The game will keep searching for opponents until everyone gets bored of waiting and leaves. Your character is a mute. In Max Payne 3's multiplayer, they at least taunted each other, but here, they have nothing to say, which makes cutscenes quite awkward.

GTA V has many minigames, but you can find better versions of them in sports games and probably on the internet.

GTA V has a stealth mechanic, a slow walk with bent knees, but it's too slow and almost never useful.

GTA V has a cinematic story, but the open world makes it feel fragmented and dragged out. The character you play as may not mirror the character you see in cutscenes. They may act more or less normal, as if they have a moral code, but then when you run someone or something over by accident, they will mock and insult the dead. They will shout at a poor deer to evolve some ears, for example.

GTA V does many things adequately, but none of it stands out, aside from the level of detail in the world.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
GTA V does many things adequately, but none of it stands out, aside from the level of detail in the world.

I dissent. GTA excels in one thing: the way it satirizes and mocks modern-day society in general and kwan's in particular from a holistic point of view is absolutely incredible. No other game can beat that.

mbv123

Arbiter
GTA was never some deep life changing experience but just a fun arcade game that you play to blow off some steam from daily life stress. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ezekiel

Arcane

I dissent. GTA excels in one thing: the way it satirizes and mocks modern-day society in general and kwan's in particular from a holistic point of view is absolutely incredible. No other game can beat that.
I find the forced humor mostly pretty crude and embarrassing. It never makes me laugh and rarely makes me smile. Dan Houser just isn't funny.
stop making so many GTA threads
Stop shitposting.

Edit: I'm not butthurt by sullynathan's response, Crimsonyte. He really is a shitposter.

I was shitposting that time

And what would you say you do here?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-dark-souls-discussion-thread.70465/page-335

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are expected to LARP and speak during cutscenes, that's why they are mute. And thank god they are, the constantly repeating voiceovers would drill a hole into my skull.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ITT: Millennials argue with other millennials over who is the most millennial and enjoys the most millennial shit.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GTA V is a rare combination of a fun open world and a good interactive movie.

I don't see any sound and reasonable argument against it, only variations of "kids these days...".

ITT: Millennials argue with other millennials over who is the most millennial and enjoys the most millennial shit.
ITT: Old man yells at cloud.

I was born in the 80s which makes me a millenial too. How old are you? 40?

You guys are totally gonna fuck
Yes, totally, and it will be your mom. With hyperlube.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Might not be relevant but there's something bugging me about GTA. I don't know exactly where it began but it's probably the most talkative game series in history. Not in a good way. It's as if every character in the game - especially GTA V - has to enunciate every single thought that they have in their head. It's so strange. Boot up GTA V and do a longer mission - then sit back and listen to just how much they are talking back and forth. Worse than women. It never stops, either. The entire goddamn game is this elongated, drawn-out and loud argument over emotional and bonding issues or whatever the fuck they can think of at the time. Gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GTA V has gunplay, but it's very limited, I guess in order to be more accessible for people who aren't just playing it for that. It has no shoulder swapping, making it impossible to see enemies when you're going around a right corner. There's no way to evade. The dodge roll only works when you're aiming over the shoulder, and you can only roll left and right. Max Payne 3 had a 360 degree roll. You can shoot without the zoomed in OTS view, but your character will take a moment to point his gun. The animations are sluggish.

GTA V has driving, but it's made to be as accessible as possible. Vehicles are very easy to steer and you never have to worry about your car flipping onto its roof, since you can magically flip it back. Traffic is super thin, so that you can drive really fast all the time and are never required to carefully weave between cars in a chase. This is partly so that you can get to your next mission quicker. You'll be doing a lot of commuting. The other cars drive at 30 mph max, even on freeways, so you won't see any cool crashes.

GTA V has multiplayer, but because it's a story-driven open world game, you'll spend a lot of time in lobbies and looking at loading screens. Deathmatches are almost never playable because they require an exact number of participants. It can't just be you and a stranger. The game will keep searching for opponents until everyone gets bored of waiting and leaves. Your character is a mute. In Max Payne 3's multiplayer, they at least taunted each other, but here, they have nothing to say, which makes cutscenes quite awkward.

GTA V has many minigames, but you can find better versions of them in sports games and probably on the internet.

GTA V has a stealth mechanic, a slow walk with bent knees, but it's too slow and almost never useful.

GTA V has a cinematic story, but the open world makes it feel fragmented and dragged out. The character you play as may not mirror the character you see in cutscenes. They may act more or less normal, as if they have a moral code, but then when you run someone or something over by accident, they will mock and insult the dead. They will shout at a poor deer to evolve some ears, for example.

Multiplayer is almost like an additional game unless your mechanics are very conductive towards competitive play in the first place (RTS, map-based FPS). Adding multiplayer to Quake or Age of Empires is just a matter of programming a multiplayer mode to allow players to play matches against each other using the same game modes as in single player. For something like GTA, which is a single player experience, you essentially make an additional version of your game which you may very well sell as its own seperate product since it's so different from the single player experience. Therefore, multiplayer isn't something a game like this should have by default.

A cinematic story is a thing that belongs to the cinema - hey, it's right there in the name! - and not in games.

Cut out those two superfluous elements, and you freed up enough development time and money to put more effort into the other elements and make them great.

DeepOcean

Arcane
GTA IV and V took the GTA series on a path that really clashes with the open world stuff, you barely have any opportunity to cause mayhem outside the scripted sequences. Sure you can provoke the cops to attack you and reach five stars but because this isn't properly structured and incentivized by the game, causing mayhem gets old quickly as the police always respond on the same way all the time. Rockstar got their heads firmly implanted on their own asses and focus more on trying to create a miniature version of some US place and masturbate to their cinematic scripted sequences instead of properly supporting arcade gameplay.

I miss the old GTA system of earning points by causing mayhem, the most fun you can have at GTA is causing mass mayhem but because this clash with their Hollywood aspirations, they barely support that kind of gameplay anymore, even the scripted missions get the cinematic treatment with them being more about showing their characters and how crazy they are instead of focusing on the gameplay.

I would love some side activities with you robbing banks or stores and the cops responding with different police chases and shoutouts depending of the target, this would be really fun but it doesn't happen, at least not in single player.

T. Reich

Arcane
The last GTA was Vice City.

After that, it was one massive feature bloat getting more grotesque with every consequent release hiding behind the "GTA" label.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
The idea of GTA?
Spawning next to a machine gun on an open street with a booming voice declaring "AND REMEMBER, RESPECT IS EVERYTHING!"

really went downhill when they got away from that

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GTA IV and V took the GTA series on a path that really clashes with the open world stuff, you barely have any opportunity to cause mayhem outside the scripted sequences. Sure you can provoke the cops to attack you and reach five stars but because this isn't properly structured and incentivized by the game, causing mayhem gets old quickly as the police always respond on the same way all the time. Rockstar got their heads firmly implanted on their own asses and focus more on trying to create a miniature version of some US place and masturbate to their cinematic scripted sequences instead of properly supporting arcade gameplay.

I miss the old GTA system of earning points by causing mayhem, the most fun you can have at GTA is causing mass mayhem but because this clash with their Hollywood aspirations, they barely support that kind of gameplay anymore, even the scripted missions get the cinematic treatment with them being more about showing their characters and how crazy they are instead of focusing on the gameplay.

I would love some side activities with you robbing banks or stores and the cops responding with different police chases and shoutouts depending of the target, this would be really fun but it doesn't happen, at least not in single player.

This is actually when, around the time when GTA IV and Saint's Row 2 were released, I said that Saint's Row is becoming more GTA than the actual GTA series.

Now the SR series has also turned into something else, going so far over the top that it's entirely removed from what it originally was, but it's still better than the new GTA games.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The idea of GTA?
Spawning next to a machine gun on an open street with a booming voice declaring "AND REMEMBER, RESPECT IS EVERYTHING!"

really went downhill when they got away from that
After playing the first one to death, with and without cheats, gta2 felt pretty shit to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom