Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Sometimes i get a feeling that codexers play mainly first person shooters.

Kahr

I played Clive Barker's Undying on release, but haven't played it since - I wonder if it holds up today. The writing is pretty decent, I don't remember anything about this game at all...
It's a mixed bag.
If you really want to replay it, my advice is following:
Game has 7 chapters.
You have the choice to stop after the 2nd or the 4th chapter.
First 2 are really fun and nice to play. The 3rd chapter is terrible and you might want to avoid that.
4th chapter is nice again, but beyond that the game breaks apart.

Looky here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/clive-barkers-undying.31952/#post-4661765

HansDampf

Arcane
I'm about to jump into Thief 2 again. Any mods I should install? Some faithful graphical enhancements? I've tried some HD textures for Thief 1, but they looked out of place.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Since i have assassin creed gifted to me on gog i tried to actually play the game.
Well i lasted for about an hour and killed the first major target and i just couldn't continue anymore.
Side mission stuff includes boring stuff like trailing,siting on a bench and collecting flags while occasionally mashing square to beat somebody up.
Combat is mash square to win or later press square for a insta kill counter which if i am not mistaken becomes the defacto assassin reed combat style.
Also props for not having the ability to skip the annoying tutorial at the begging,nah who am i kidding,the entire game is one giant tutorial.
And if i am not mistaken the later games only add even more repetitive stuff to do with more retarded story.
How can people enjoy these games is beyond me.

Time to play something with actual game play,like sonic mania.

Starwars

Arcane
Finished up the NWN2 OC (well, not quite because it bugged the fuck out during the end of the Crossroad Keep siege and I couldn't be bothered to do it all over again) and onwards to Mask of the Betrayer now.

There are some parts of NWN2 OC that I kinda like, mostly Act III I guess. The keep management feels pretty pointless mechanically speaking but I like the presentation of it. It's sort of fun. Ammon Jerro is a pretty cool character and easily the best of the companions.

But man, it never ceases to amaze how much more they managed to squeeze out of the NWN2 toolset when getting to Mulsantir in MotB. It's so fucking beautiful to me. MotB is easily one of the most gorgeous looking RPGs to me, despite the wonkiness of the engine. The areas are really beautiful and well made. The atmosphere is great. Gonna enjoy replaying this a lot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Banner Saga 2. I like the first game when it came out. I'm starting to get burned out after 1,2 hours of playing the second. I blame Low Magic Age for that. TBS2 looks great and has an awesome soundtrack, but the gameplay is simple. I know choices during caravan mode don't always matter and the way your characters progress in strength pale in comparison to LMA. LMA has a really fun turn-based combat arena. You create your own characters and fight different combat encounters in an arena. An adventure mode is worked on and I think more classes/spells/feats/etc is being worked on. Compared to TBS2, the game looks very basic and the soundtrack isn't much to talk about. The thing is, LMA is so much more fun to play.

But man, it never ceases to amaze how much more they managed to squeeze out of the NWN2 toolset when getting to Mulsantir in MotB. It's so fucking beautiful to me. MotB is easily one of the most gorgeous looking RPGs to me, despite the wonkiness of the engine. The areas are really beautiful and well made. The atmosphere is great. Gonna enjoy replaying this a lot.

Not MotB specific, but I always really admired the look and feel of NWN2 when in dungeons/buildings from the over the shoulder perspective with the ceilings turned on. It controls like dogshit but the out of battle atmosphere in most areas is top notch.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still playing HoMM 3. Turned out there were a few other decent single player maps besides Myths&Legends. "Funny" thing is that I nearly always start with a character whose specialty is Eagle Eye. :argh:

Whare are some good mods for victoria 2? Cold war is nice but very static.

None honestly. Every mod I've tried made it substantially worse either in terms of historicity or AI going haywire. Though I haven't really tried the mods that add entirely new start dates.

Trying to learn Europe Universalis 4. Struggling.

I'd really recommend selecting an older patch and learning from there. Fully updated EU4 is basically broken without certain DLC, but the DLC all adds bunches of special mechanics everywhere that really bloat the game and screw with your ability to figure out the core game mechanics. Though the downside is that you won't be able to rely on the wiki much. Could even go back to EU3, which is a perfectly fine game in its own right.

bloodsmrrj.jpg

:greatjob:

Holds up great all these years later. Mouse polling is shit even using the alternative .EXE that's floating around (BMOUSE.EXE), but it's playable. Game's hard as fuck - they just don't make them like this anymore. Too bad there isn't a source port like eDuke32 for this. Edit: Nevermind, Just found out about BloodCM, damn! This seems to work great, if slightly faster than the original game. Awesome.

I've also been trying the ZDoom mod, ZBlood, but it's not very good - it's more like a version rather than a port, with different layouts etc. That's expected, given the limitations of the Doom engine.

zblood76r0s.jpg

As a sidenote, it's both awesome and depressing that you could probably only play GZDoom .wads for the rest of your life and you'd be set for a much better experience than playing modern FPS games.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
Thief 2. I'm doing a self-imposed ironman challenge, meaning I won't save at all during missions (unless I want to take a break). I like doing these as it encourages actually using all available resources instead of savescumming through every minor obstacle. It's like riding the edge between adrenaline and frustration. I'm half-way done now, and frustration has been kept to minimum so far. I only had to reset twice (early) in First City Bank and Trust, where I got murdered by bots and canons. But there were a couple of narrow escapes, even in the first mission. I was chased by a guard and could only get rid of him because I left every door open and could slam them in his face to gain distance. Playing on Expert, of course, so I can't kill anyone. The Ambush mission was also very sloppy, had to retreat into the sewers a couple of times, but no reset. Flashbombs are more valuable than ever...
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom