Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The elves are supposed to be very elite but I presume the economy bonuses coupled with extra LD during battles makes them dead 'ard. I usually play VH too and I get a lot of instances where the battle is over except for one or two units fighting to the death.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Talking about steel faith mod. Started up a game with that playing the Bret lady. Here we come into the "dont assume you know about units in a mod" territory.

I am directly attacked by the wood elves, having twice as big army I think it will be an easy battle. that my units also have like 5 times as many men was not something I took into consideration though as I expected that to be balanced with skill. What I didn't expect was to see that small little army obliterate mine. The vanilla quite weak, but very useful wild riders just beat up two of my spearmen despite being surrounded and partly have archers shooting at them. Magic boosts didnt seem to matter; surrounding enemy units didnt help; attacking their archers with cavalry, nah. it was my most humiliating loss ever in a total war game. the elves having fought like it was a LOTR mod.
i played on very hard. so you are saying the difficult made the elves demi-gods?
I don't know about the miniature game, but elves were as overpowered in the tabletop roleplaying game.

v1rus

Arcane
No matter what I try, I cant get it to work :negative:

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What can't you get to work?

Ahoy matey! I followed the instructions to the letter, and yet, whenever i try to start, the cursor shows loading, opens up in process, but it never gets into game. Arrrr! :negative: (I cant do the pirate-talk any better)
Do you see an image with Karl Frantz and Grimgor with buttons "play" and "exit"?

v1rus

Arcane
What can't you get to work?

Ahoy matey! I followed the instructions to the letter, and yet, whenever i try to start, the cursor shows loading, opens up in process, but it never gets into game. Arrrr! :negative: (I cant do the pirate-talk any better)
Dont see anything. If i run .exe nothing opens (nothing at all) and if i run launcher it "cant find steam".

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
:lol:

With SFO, Wild Riders are one of the most elite cavalry units in the game. Almost on par with Demigryphs and Blood Knights.

Nonetheless, they shouldn't be demolishing two units of spears.

kris

Arcane
:lol:

With SFO, Wild Riders are one of the most elite cavalry units in the game. Almost on par with Demigryphs and Blood Knights.

Nonetheless, they shouldn't be demolishing two units of spears.

its strange that they went this way. Because I found the vanilla wild riders really useful with their speed and I couldn't see a need for them to ALSO be elite warriors.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
kris

It's to make them closer to the tabletop game/lore. Basically, the whole W Elves roster got more expensive and more elite. The top tier stuff (WRs, Treemen, Forest Dragons) is able to hang with just bout anything in the game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I guess you'd need to reinstall steam. If that fails check antivirus.
Also, considering you have 1.6.0 version, which makes playing Chaos much more difficult, and don't have that fix, you might like to disable regiments of renown.
In 1.6.0 CA allowed regements of renown to be hireable without being able to train these troops, and being easily rehireable. In current version CA at least added a 10 turn timer. (Which is also bad decision.)

Andkat

Educated
Wake's overhaul is vastly closer to both setting verisimilitude and 'realism' (i.e. how premodern battles were actually fought as opposed to arbitrary tabletop mechanics) than SFO (insofar as the design philosophy is to extrapolate everything from the former, maximizing factional asymmetries in logistics and tactics)- but it's out of date for the current patch (you can roll back via the betas system) and undergoing a rebuild for game 2. It broadly has the ambitions to be DeI etc. for this game, but has a long, long way to go. Battle time and gameplay are a lot closer to what you'd see in good Medieval 2 mods (Stainless Steel, Third Age, etc.) than any of the more recent TWs- which is to say, slow paced with a large emphasis on positioning and morale. Arbitrary equivalencies are reduced or erased (and I believe will be diminished even further); a goblin hero has 800 hp, a human hero 1300; a typical Warboss, Vampire, or Chaos Champion in the low to mid 2000s, Kholek like 10,000, etc. Likewise, orc boyz really do tear humans limb from limb in this mod; human line infantry don't really stand a chance in any resembling an equal engagement, and must hold while relying on cavalry or artillery to do the job. It also uses caps for units so you can't casually fill stacks with dragons and demigryphs late game.

That said, don't expect anything resembling the base game's balance- dragons, Kholek, etc. can singlehandedly wipe entire low-tier armies. Might be worth tweaking the game (can't do it via workshop mods) to allow for 40 or more units per stack, just to better facilitate for-cost parity when the big guns are involved.

SFO is alright. Better flow than vanilla, although there is some fucked balance (Hellblaster guns cost not much different from great cannons and are trivially the best artillery in the game in that mod, etc.); i'd install the extra unit removal submod, as they've started on the Radious road of adding lots of stupid, incongruous bullshit, altthough some of the things they throw in (Knights Panther, Black Orcs with Shields, Huntsmen) are fine. I've generally found Wood Elves incredibly overtuned in SFO- glade guard with shields wind up competitive with chaos warriors thanks to golden shield rating + high melee attack and defense, wood elves all have fatigue resistance now so they don't really tire and your cav often will exhaust itself trying to catch their archers.

I'd advise using Cataph's Southern Realms and Kraka Drak; a DLC's worth of factions with custom units, custom LLs, tech trees, etc. all for free with good quality and correspondence to what fluff is available. The other faction mods (mixxu's stuff etc.) are mostly horrible with bloated, inane rosters.

A few other mods add a fair bit- Ultimate Undead for SFO removes some retarded crap like Undead having fatigue and makes them play a lot differently, Campaigns of the Old World with or without SFO is pretty good for adding a little more depth to the strategic layer (the Buildings Overhaul that whoever made is great if you aren't using SFO), the GCCM campaign map pack adds a lot of interesting if sometimes AI-dysfunctional maps (including ,complete, non-retarded siege maps and actual town maps). I find 77 is a good number of mods to use for this game, because adding any more causes crash on campaign load no matter what they are. If you squint hard enough, it becomes almost fun.

I preordered Warhammer 2. Kill me.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
i played on very hard. so you are saying the difficult made the elves demi-gods?

I screwed around a bit with various factions on Hard with SFO and I've noticed that something does seem off regarding the staying power of the AI. Played Kraka Drak vs Norse and while the umgi didn't exactly mow through the dwarves they did last much longer than if the situation had been reversed. So there is some weird stat/morale fuckery going on I feel. Normal barely armored, non-AP marauders should have more trouble with dwarf warriors.

Just popping in since i bought vanilla (no DLC's) and already wasted 100 hours on this game :D

I haven't read the thread, but can someone recommend me some essential mods?

Btw what's the consensus on the game? I'm kind of loving it so far.

Seethe

Arbiter
Just popping in since i bought vanilla (no DLC's) and already wasted 100 hours on this game :D

I haven't read the thread, but can someone recommend me some essential mods?

Btw what's the consensus on the game? I'm kind of loving it so far.

It's a well polished game, but it misses some features. Sieges are terrible, if they fix that, it gets a "great game" seal of approval from me.

Essential mods: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877551324
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1120180673
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720729515
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=870099448
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839755799
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690476829
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=931732032

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a well polished game, but it misses some features. Sieges are terrible, if they fix that, it gets a "great game" seal of approval from me.

Agreed. A range cap on towers would be a good start.
I'm not sure I agree.
A range cap on towers would make them relatively useless. Only fully upgraded towers pose any actual threat and that costs a ton of money, so IMO that is fine. And only capitals can have fully upgraded towers.
A fully fortified castle staffed by its normal defenders plus a whole lord-led army should *not* be conquerable in battle by anything but a much stronger army (or rather, two). The only realistic way to sack it is a long siege and draining it of its supplies - extremely costly for the attacker.

Not that everything is good about sieges.
Those magical pocket ladders still seem totally off to me.
The time until the siege is automatically won is IMO also too long. I think it is 16 turns for a fully upgraded capital?

Seethe

Arbiter

Agreed. A range cap on towers would be a good start.
I'm not sure I agree.
A range cap on towers would make them relatively useless. Only fully upgraded towers pose any actual threat and that costs a ton of money, so IMO that is fine. And only capitals can have fully upgraded towers.
A fully fortified castle staffed by its normal defenders plus a whole lord-led army should *not* be conquerable in battle by anything but a much stronger army (or rather, two). The only realistic way to sack it is a long siege and draining it of its supplies - extremely costly for the attacker.

Not that everything is good about sieges.
Those magical pocket ladders still seem totally off to me.
The time until the siege is automatically won is IMO also too long. I think it is 16 turns for a fully upgraded capital?

The ladders are indeed a big problem. But the problem with the towers is that you cannot even catch a breath the moment the battle starts. They immediately start firing upon you after you've deployed. Make the map bigger and allow me to deploy out of their range at least.

Also settlement besieging duration depends on the faction, lord etc. Some lords have to wait less due to their skills. I remember having to wait like 8 turns or so with Vampire Counts.

Range cap, and then maybe allow the defenders to deplay troops outside of the walls.

Doesn't have to be low range cap, just enough so maybe only the really long range artillery can reach it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished an SFO Chaos run. It... was not that great. The highlight was the quest battles, but even then it felt rather bland compared to other campaigns. Outside of those quest battles, I had autoresolve with 75-90% win chance.

Still cannot manage a win with Dwarves or Empire without losing interest or rage quitting.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished an SFO Chaos run. It... was not that great. The highlight was the quest battles, but even then it felt rather bland compared to other campaigns. Outside of those quest battles, I had autoresolve with 75-90% win chance.

Still cannot manage a win with Dwarves or Empire without losing interest or rage quitting.
Autoresolve is broken, it shows wining chance even in difficult battles. And fully red bar when there are some types of artillery. Another really bad element is easy access to regiments of renown. One unit is typically fine as a temporal solution until you can recruit regular unit.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Autoresolve is broken, it shows wining chance even in difficult battles. And fully red bar when there are some types of artillery. Another really bad element is easy access to regiments of renown. One unit is typically fine as a temporal solution until you can recruit regular unit.
My understanding was that artillery and ranged units are overvalued in the autoresolve. Hence, I only brought one piece of artillery (RoR hellfire canon), and the rest were melee infantry or cavalry. Moreover, I played with SFO enabled, and I thought the autoresolve was better tuned. I do not know whether I just had a lucky game or not. Granted, the SFO Chaos late-game melee infantry are strong, although expensive. The aspiring champions and the Zealots (Warhammer Age of Reckoning inspired unit) can make a difference.

Also, I thought I would race to complete an Ork campaign before TW2, but the campaign objectives border on tedium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom