Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

KateMicucci

Arcane
I thought Swen hated dwarfs.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://af.gog.com/news/meet_the_gog_hero_in_dos2?as=1649904300

MEET EITHNE, THE COMMUNITY-INSPIRED GOG HERO IN DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2

GOG hero details revealed • D:OS 2 releasing September 14

The complete release of Divinity: Original Sin 2 is drawing very near, releasing September 14 on GOG.com

There are many reasons to anticipate the release, including the opportunity to encounter one character in particular – designed, inspired by, and chosen with the GOG.com community – a fully voiced NPC with a unique backstory, and her own share of secrets...

A hero's journey

For backing the D:OS 2 Kickstarter campaign, we were given the chance to work with Larian Studios on a unique in-game NPC: the GOG hero. And because the more is the merrier, the entire GOG.com community would get to be a part of the process from the start.

Beginning with a forum-wide brainstorm and a series of art and writing contests, the GOG community would draw, doodle, pitch, and design countless ideas for Larian Studios to take to the drawing board.

Months later, three designs would be revealed by the studio and the finalists put to the community's vote.

In the end, it was Eithne – an undead librarian, merchant of rare and arcane knowledge – who emerged the clear winner with 59% of all votes. She became the official GOG hero made possible by the community!

Meet the hero

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is releasing soon, and it's a thrill to finally meet Eithne!

Check out the teaser trailer for a taste of the character and voice acting in action. Plus, we got to briefly talk with Charlene Putney, the writer behind Eithne – you can read more of it below!

But the best way to meet Eithne is in-game during your adventures (regardless of platform). We can't wait to see her ourselves and want to give big thanks to Larian Studios for the opportunity, and to our entire community for being a part the creative process!

Here are some extra tidbits of info from Charlene "Char" Putney, the writer for Eithne:

1. Without venturing into spoiler territory, can you tell us how soon or late in the game we'll first encounter Eithne?

Eithne wanders in an area quite a ways past where the current Early Access stops. Without spoiling anything, I can tell you that she lurks in a ruined building in a forested area of Reaper's Coast.

2. What can we expect from Eithne in terms of stock?

Well, as voted for by the good people of GOG, Eithne is an Undead Librarian, so you can expect her initial stock to reflect that character! I have other things I'd like to say about this... but I'll keep my mouth shut for now!

3. You are the one who brought Eithne to life: tell us a bit about the creation process. What is your favourite thing about her?

The thing I like most about her is something I can't say, as it would definitely be a spoiler! But what I can say is that I like the story of where she comes from and how she came to be who she is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sound great and the music is fantastic. My RPG boner is ready for some more Larian goodness.
TrumpSmug.png

Full VO sounds like decline.
Only if it is shitty, but judging from what I heard in the video that won't be the case.

EE's voice acting gave me cancer.

I prefer partial voice acting, where key characters and npc's are voiced, but everyone else is silent. It lends more highlight to the important characters and makes them feel more fleshed out, but when you voice the entire game, that's all lost.

True.

latest

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dissapointed that the red prince doesn't sound like a Sibilant cold blooded sociopath... As he is the only character Im planing on playing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there guns? If so, I'm planning my first playthrough to be with a female dwarf utilizing guns somehow.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Meh, I'm in the mood for a dwarf gunslinger. Guess I'm gonna have to replay Arcanum, which I've never played as a tech character, funnily enough, so it's gonna be interesting.

Sjukob

Arcane
So I wasn't paying attention to the news , but it looks like you can no longer create and control multiple characters at the time . Good . My interest in the game just dropped by 300% .

EDIT: Yeah and I was expecting they would allow us to create a full party of 4 .

Wild Slop

Arcane
Dropped by 300% is still insanely high though, yah?

You start off making 1 main character, others can be recruited shorty after once the game starts. Their starting class can be set when they join ('I want you to be' an enchanter, a rogue, a Swordmaster - etc.) each level-up you manually set what to put the earned point into, shaping them however you want. From what understand there are also going to be mercs you can hired as party members too.

The games story makes sense for there to be a primary character. Party members are controlled by the player in combat but will have narrative motivations and moments where they will interject in dialog with you. E.g. You start a conversation with an NPC and the Red Prince interrupts you asking that he talk first. Do you allow this knowing his goals possibly conflict with yours or another party members? The way you go about your decision will effect their attitude towards the main character.

Sjukob

Arcane
Gentlemen , the only person worth talking to in Larian games is yourself and they are stripping us off that . Besides , don't you think that it limits roleplay value of the game and makes party managment more of hassle , since shitters you take in your party will constantly annoy you and whine about every single detail that doesn't suit them , contrary to that you could've built a whole party and regulated their relations and views how you wanted , but it's not happening in this game .

Also there seems to be story related problems with custom characters and to me it looks like Larian got carried away with their "original" characters and player created one's got kind of left behind .

Lacrymas

Arcane
I intend to play it first with a custom character, that's the only way to figure out what the game is all about, without extra fireworks to cloud your vision. I have a feeling they didn't pay much attention to the way the game plays with a custom character, so all the warts will be plain to see. I hope you can exploit multiplayer to create an all-custom party.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Gentlemen , the only person worth talking to in Larian games is yourself and they are stripping us off that . Besides , don't you think that it limits roleplay value of the game and makes party managment more of hassle , since shitters you take in your party will constantly annoy you and whine about every single detail that doesn't suit them , contrary to that you could've built a whole party and regulated their relations and views how you wanted , but it's not happening in this game .

It isn't like this in EA. It isn't a Bioware/Obsidian game where you have to be everyones therapist. Origins rarely interject their opinion until you reach one of their quest objectives. I actually wish that they would say more.

Black

Arcane
As someone who went for 'Make your own party' mod for M&M8 I agree with Sjukob. The fact that you don't even choose what to say doesn't help.

Arnust

Savant
So thinking about my first character. I was considering a Water/Earth/Summoner Mage in more of a supportive position, while also going for Polymorph. Of course, little things like Pet Pal and maybe spirit talking. I am divided about the race, however. Which would fit the previous more? I do discard Lizards and Humans for now, and assumedly Undead as well, despite how hilarious it could be.

JasonNH

Augur
So thinking about my first character. I was considering a Water/Earth/Summoner Mage in more of a supportive position, while also going for Polymorph. Of course, little things like Pet Pal and maybe spirit talking. I am divided about the race, however. Which would fit the previous more? I do discard Lizards and Humans for now, and assumedly Undead as well, despite how hilarious it could be.

I tried something similar to that in EA, but I substituted ranger in there for earth. Having some combat air support was handy, not to mention another heal (first aid) and a quick escape ability (tactical retreat) . So I was mostly summoning and raining arrows down upon the masses. I liked it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom