Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny: Bastard's Wounds Expansion Released

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nobody asked for this DLC, but Paradox is gonna Paradox.

However, I will be the last to complain about a niche game being supported post-launch, especially since its sales have been rather mediocre (still, i has sold around twice as high as Nu-Torment, Brian Fargo chose the publisher poorly).

Nue-Torment was complete shit from the PC creation (when you had a choice to RP as Throwback Tranny and throwback tranny post operation) thru very unfinished and gutted content to the very unclimatic end; Tranny on the other hand had entertaining moments; like Character creation with very C&C heavy Prologue where even your traits did mattere, first chapter when you were offered another dose of choices to the rather rushed and dis pointing finale. I know some shit sells very well (like Fallout 4 for example) but Obshitian even in its SJW form still delivered more playable product so they deserved decent sales. Not saying I am going to fork for the game for full price but I bet it will be worth picking on bundle sale with all DLC and properly patched.

himmy

Arcane
truth to be told if there are no stamina mechanics implemented (as in 90% of modern Erpges) I always toggle always run; did it since Fallout 1 came.

Literally the first thing I do in any new Morrowind play-through is get the Boots of Blinding speed and then enchant an item with 100% resist magic for 2 seconds so I can put them on without the adverse effect. Now you're travelling in style right from the get-go.

Mareus

Magister
whether a game has a walking option or not has nothing to do with achieving "immersion".

i have never before missed the ability the tag people as dumbfucks more than I do now.... sigh.
The feeling is mutual you assclown! The difference however is that you want to dictate to others what is and isnt immersive and tag ppl as dumbfucks for having different preferences, while I want to tag you as a dumbfuck because you are dictating what is and isnt immersive to other players. You are not a fucking X-man with telepathic fucking abilities and your personal preferences dont apply to everyone! Therefore you really are a dumbfuck, and I dont mean that in an insultive way. I mean it in a literal way as an objective and factual description of your weak mental faculties.

Mareus

Magister
truth to be told if there are no stamina mechanics implemented (as in 90% of modern Erpges) I always toggle always run; did it since Fallout 1 came.

Literally the first thing I do in any new Morrowind play-through is get the Boots of Blinding speed and then enchant an item with 100% resist magic for 2 seconds so I can put them on without the adverse effect. Now you're travelling in style right from the get-go.
Good for you. Many ppl play it differently. Whats your point? That your way is the only way to play Morrowind and anyone who disagrees with it is therefore a moron?

Hellion

Arcane
It's rather interesting that 2 out of 3 pages in the expansion's release thread have turned into a debate on character walking/running speed.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was one of the weird people who liked Tyranny better than PoE; so I guess I'm sort of the target demographic for this expansion. However, like with (almost) any game I don't feel like replaying the entire dang thing to get to new content. Missed chance.
Yup I also enjoyed it more than Pillars especially the rune magic system I thought it was superb and one of the best magic crafting systems I have played in quite awhile
As for replaying the game I have serveral saves from before facing Tunon's judgment so that will probably suffice to check the new content
It is quite disappointing that we will never see a proper ending to the story and get this instead but oh well it is still a good not great game and the prefect definition of a surprise since I didn't expect much from it and it ended up beign entertaining for a couple of night play throughs

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the rune stuff for the magic spells is by far the coolest aspect of any of the design elements in Tyranny.

I would love for them to go with that rune shit concept and just design the entirety of the combat mechanics around that shit, and expand the core concept to all types of abilities not just spells.

the concept can easily be extrapolated upon with other macguffins to serve as "runes" for non-spells and fuck, you could even drag primary attributes and even racial modifiers into the parameters which allow ability/spell shaping.

azimuth

Educated
I like Tyranny about 10 times more than PoE. I also loved Fallout/Arcanum/PST but never finished BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2.

I think Tyranny is more about roleplaying than dungeon-crawling, as are the first three old games vs. the latter four.

But yeah, I also love the magic system (mostly the potential it suggests) and I like the skill trees too. The combat is probably the most-maligned part and I even like that on Path of the Damned difficulty (where you have to use all those consumables!!).

Underrated game that gets too much shit.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
I want to like this game as I kinda enjoy the story premise, but the combat is so god-awful with playing popamole "hit the cooldown when it's up" I just can't get in to it.

jungl

Augur
Problem with tyranny since there no cap on stats rly two handed might party is op. That burst damage has no counter play. Any damage heavy setup reduces all encounters into trash encounters. Its interesting with tyranny you can see how pillars would be like if there were no fucks given to the balance. I like the spell system in tyranny but overall the class system in pillars makes for a far more interesting game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Problem with tyranny since there no cap on stats rly two handed might party is op. That burst damage has no counter play. Any damage heavy setup reduces all encounters into trash encounters. Its interesting with tyranny you can see how pillars would be like if there were no fucks given to the balance. I like the spell system in tyranny but overall the class system in pillars makes for a far more interesting game.

The further we get away from Tyranny's release, the more the truth of Prime Junta's claim that the game should have used a variant of PoE's system becomes clear. That's what could it have made it an interesting game worth remembering, like Icewind Dale.

Fallout is a game with an overall more simulationist world interaction model. There's line of sight calculation for NPC visibility (rather than the IE's simple radius of vision around your characters), you can do stuff like drop activated bombs and watch them explode, etc.

No LoS in FO. You can always see everyone anywhere on the same level, and even get cursor feedback and combat outline of those behind closed doors inside buildings. You can indeee drop activated bombs and watch them explode with your PC on the opposite corner of the level because of lack of LoS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout is a game with an overall more simulationist world interaction model. There's line of sight calculation for NPC visibility (rather than the IE's simple radius of vision around your characters), you can do stuff like drop activated bombs and watch them explode, etc.

No LoS in FO. You can always see everyone anywhere on the same level, and even get cursor feedback and combat outline of those behind closed doors inside buildings. You can indeee drop activated bombs and watch them explode with your PC on the opposite corner of the level because of lack of LoS.

Hmmm, I might be thinking about the fog of war mod that uses your character's LoS to uncover the terrain. I assumed that uses an in-game LoS implementation - I probably should have checked.

Another way that Fallout is more simulationist is in how it animates your character opening containers and stuff, whereas that kind of thing is abstracted away in the Infinity Engine.

Last edited:
Maybe it is silly, I don't know but all those little animations were part of what stole me away when I played the demo back when it came out.

Mojomancer

Novice
I haven't gotten around to playing Tyranny yet, mostly because I haven't gotten around to finishing Pillars yet. What I can see of this expansion on it's Steam page it doesn't seem to have a lot to do to really justify calling itself an expansion to be honest. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

azimuth

Educated
The further we get away from Tyranny's release, the more the truth of Prime Junta's claim that the game should have used a variant of PoE's system becomes clear. That's what could it have made it an interesting game worth remembering, like Icewind Dale.
Ah yes, as we have learned from the history of CRPGs, it's the combat system and most importantly balance that determine whether a title is memorable.

I haven't gotten around to playing Tyranny yet, mostly because I haven't gotten around to finishing Pillars yet. What I can see of this expansion on it's Steam page it doesn't seem to have a lot to do to really justify calling itself an expansion to be honest. Unless I am misunderstanding something.
from what I understand it has only 3 quests for companions : Lantry, Verse and Barik. And a dungeon similar to the Oldwalls Dungeon. I remember White March added 2 more companions and an entire new area to explore, revisions to the main game and more. This should not be called and expansion but just another DLC.
Good thing they added random encounters to the game, but that is from the main patch not the Expansion DLC.

Last edited:

Mojomancer

Novice
from what I understand it has only 3 quests for companions : Lantry, Verse and Barik. And a dungeon similar to the Oldwalls Dungeon. I remember White March added 2 more companions and an entire new area to explore, revisions to the main game and more. This should not be called and expansion but just another DLC.
Good thing they added random encounters to the game, but that is from the main patch not the Expansion DLC.

Do the quests and such differ based on your prior choices? I can understand it having less stuff than White March part 1 or 2 if that was the case and the differences were worth the value but something tells me they don't differ that much if they do at all.

Do the quests and such differ based on your prior choices? I can understand it having less stuff than White March part 1 or 2 if that was the case and the differences were worth the value but something tells me they don't differ that much if they do at all.
from what I have played with Barik no, not at all. You do have choices but you can choose only to end the quest right away or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom