Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny: Bastard's Wounds Expansion Released

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Still no toggle walkk... sigh... Thats it! Not going to buy any game that dares to call itself a roleplaying game without a walk mechanic! Fuck you Obsidian!
Strange addition to the "What makes an RPG?" list.

Mareus

Magister
Still no toggle walkk... sigh... Thats it! Not going to buy any game that dares to call itself a roleplaying game without a walk mechanic! Fuck you Obsidian!

Why walk when you get from point A to point B FASTER when you're always RUNNING.

At least you're not penalized for running everywhere with fatigue.
I'll pretend you're not trolling and that immersion is a completely new and foreign concept to you.

Hellion

Arcane
If anything, they should make the characters run even faster by default, or make "Fast Mode" faster. Maybe that way trekking through the Oldwalls from playthrough to playthrough would become less tedious.

Mareus

Magister
Muh Immersion argument strikes again; truth to be told if there are no stamina mechanics implemented (as in 90% of modern Erpges) I always toggle always run; did it since Fallout 1 came.
Good for you. Now please explain how does your personal preferance apply to everyone else and why should it? All the immersion folk are asking for is an option.

Mareus

Magister
If anything, they should make the characters run even faster by default, or make "Fast Mode" faster. Maybe that way trekking through the Oldwalls from playthrough to playthrough would become less tedious.
As long as it is an option, I have no problem with it. However, if the game actively forces you to play it that way, well... then it stops being an optional feature and it becomes a problem that will push away people from buying the game if they care about immersion. The problem with comments like yours is that you people look everything from a very selfish perspective, completely ignoring the fact that a.) the walking mechanic is part of pretty much every RPG out there; and b.) that people may have different preferences from your own.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Ok color me interested enough to post. Can you please explain why walking/running in this type of game matters? If they moved at the same speed they do now but have a walking animation, that matters as far as the world feeling more realistic?

aratuk

Cipher
Dude, just roleplay like your character has an inner ear issue that keeps zher from balancing at anything less than a trot

+M

unless standing still, of course.

Mareus

Magister
Ok color me interested enough to post. Can you please explain why walking/running in this type of game matters? If they moved at the same speed they do now but have a walking animation, that matters as far as the world feeling more realistic?
I am in a tavern or a library, need to talk to some dude that is standing 3 meters away... better sprint to get there like there is a Balrog on my ass, despite every other character there walking normally. Then the game pauses in dialogue mode while my character is in the middle of his sprinting animation aaaaaand... the whole conversation which can last up to 20 minutes just looks completely retarded. Or here is another example... I just want to move an inch to the left or turn around... I guess I need to sprint in a big circle to do something that everyone else in the game can do without a problem. Completely breaks any sense of immersion. If you don't care about immersion, that's great! Good for you, but that doesn't help me and people who are extremely bothered by this trend in the so called "rpg renaissance".

Did I mention that every good RPG in existence has this option? Why not put it in your game - espceially considering how easy it is to implement? It's like Obsidian is actively trying to piss off their already niche gaming base.

Last edited:

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
I wasn't trolling, I was just interested. Don't know why, usually I can see why other people find things interesting even though I don't (like going fishing). I just couldn't in this case and wanted a clarification. I enjoy what I call atmosphere (the best was in VtM:B in my opinion) but don't see how it would be represented in a game like Tyranny. Tyranny (and other BG style games) are largely about representations of actions, not trying to animate everything to make it look real, so I suppose it doesn't bother me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, have you never heard of LARPing?
larping.jpg

Seriously, though, this is the first time I have heard anyone wants a walking mode for anything except maybe sneaking.

Though in some games I do walk instead of running even without stamina: you know those missions where you have to follow an NPC (or it follows you), yet they walk at walking speed?
Yeah, those game design from hell things...

Mareus

Magister
Tyranny (and other BG style games) are largely about representations of actions, not trying to animate everything to make it look real
Says who? You? Well, sorry for not caring about your opinion. The fact of the matter is, Fallout had it, PST had it, Arcanum had it, hell even BG had walking animations set by default. Hell, even dumb hack and slash games like Diablo had it. Ffs even Call of Duty has it and that is not even an RPG and walking will get you killed!

In short... you will be hard pressed to find a game, let alone an RPG without the walking mechanics integrated into the game. Also, nobody is asking to make EVERYTHING look real. We just want to be able to walk from time to time.

Mareus

Magister
Hey man, you like what you like. Now that you mention it, Fallout did have that option, and I didn't understand why back then either :)
Good that the game didn't force you to walk everywhere? Right? Well, now you know how immersion folk feel when the game forces them to sprint everywhere.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The good writers are gone, the stories are shit but the world is pretty.

Obsidian has finally reached its final form ... the Bioware phase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey man, you like what you like. Now that you mention it, Fallout did have that option, and I didn't understand why back then either :)

Fallout is a game with an overall more simulationist world interaction model. There's line of sight calculation for NPC visibility (rather than the IE's simple radius of vision around your characters), you can do stuff like drop activated bombs and watch them explode, etc.

Mareus

Magister

And then there are things at Obsidian like this:
http://amp.dailycaller.com/2017/09/...rriors-crucify-him-for-conservative-opinions/

I am worried that there are some very "pro(re)gressive" people starting to work at Obsidian. It says the writer resigned, but I really wonder if he got fired for his "conservative" views. I mean, according to Tyranny lore the Disfavored are supposed to be these xenophobic warriors proud of their northern blood and their warrior tradition - who only accept their own kind in their ranks - and yet the Disfavored come in the full rainbow spectrum of race colors, which makes no fucking sense. If you are pushing "diversity" into the game even when it goes against your own lore... that right there tells me there is some agenda happening. Agenda and art don't mix well together.

If Obsidian is indeed going down that road, I guess that is another reason to stop supporting them. But they are under Paradox, which is in Sweden... so... it wouldn't surprise me really.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

It's worse. It's as if Bioware games suffered from a mutation and now have walls of text.

Mareus

Magister

It's worse. It's as if Bioware games suffered from a mutation and now have walls of text.
Walls of text are not the problem. It's the lack of common sense in their own lore, as well as the agenda that is being being pushed down our throats. PST has loads of text, but that doesn't prevent it from being a great game.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Walls of text are not the problem. It's the lack of common sense in their own lore, as well as the agenda that is being being pushed down our throats. PST has loads of text, but that doesn't prevent it from being a great game.
But the hamfisted agenda is worse when it is longwinded and verbose, right?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody asked for this DLC, but Paradox is gonna Paradox.

However, I will be the last to complain about a niche game being supported post-launch, especially since its sales have been rather mediocre (still, it has sold around twice as high as Nu-Torment, Brian Fargo chose the publisher poorly).

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
I was one of the weird people who liked Tyranny better than PoE; so I guess I'm sort of the target demographic for this expansion. However, like with (almost) any game I don't feel like replaying the entire dang thing to get to new content. Missed chance.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
whether a game has a walking option or not has nothing to do with achieving "immersion".

i have never before missed the ability the tag people as dumbfucks more than I do now.... sigh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom