Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New dungeon crawlers ?

Other than Grimwah, are there any other new OR up and coming dungeon crawlers that I should be aware of ?

V_K

Arcane
Other than Grimwah, are there any other new OR up and coming dungeon crawlers that I should be aware of ?
Unexplored. It's marketed as a roguelite, but its dungeon generation routines are absolutely fantastic, and can generate environmental challenges, puzzles that span several levels, and even options for alternative approaches to some situation. And they are quite different from playthrough to playthrough - after a few dozen characters I'm still encountering new things. I was a firm believer that nothing good will ever come out of procedural generation, but this game proved me wrong. Plus combat isn't very twitchy, despite how it's presented in the trailer - it's much slower and more tactical, and you can alway pause. Basically, it's much more of an Ultima Underworld than any kind of roguelike/roguelite. The only (small) gripe I have with it is that the character progression is entirely item-based - but on the other hand, that adds to (already pretty tight) resoruce management.

On the upcoming front, there's Dungeon Kingdoms: Sign of the Moon and Aeon of Sands, but when either is coming out is anyone's guess.

V_K

Arcane
I've taken a look at Unexplored, but frankly the art style really bothers me.
You get used to it. It's actually not that bad, just very stylized.
Had been looking at this http://steamcommunity.com/app/366510, earlier today as a possibility. Not sure if it is shovelware or not.
It's competent but not too exciting. On the plus side, the dungeon seems rather complex, with many interconnected areas. On the down side, it's also rather empty, at least at the start (I didn't get very far). There is at least one NPC (doubling as shopkeeper).

V_K

Arcane
Also, depending on what's your first priority in a dungeon crawler, you may want to give 7 Mages a try (if you haven't already). It has great level desing, but character building is weak, and there's no looting to speak of.

When is Bard's Tale IV slated to be finished ? 2019 or something like that ?

Staying well away from the Neanderthal's Creation, at least until it has matured

Jazz_

Arcane
There's a game that plays and looks a lot like LOG, ''Fall of the Dungeon Guardians'' or something like that. It's got MMO combat tho, I mean it's basicly world of warcraft meets Grimrock.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Dungeon Rats of course.
Otherwise, Dungeon Kingdom : Sign of the Moon, still in EA

RuySan

Augur
Both The Keep and The Quest are decent although real time and single character.

Lords of xulima is the best game in a long time with the soul of the classics

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Both The Keep and The Quest are decent although real time and single character.

Lords of xulima is the best game in a long time with the soul of the classics
The Quest isn't real time, the combat is just very basic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom